Chapter 23

FINNICK

Hugging. Kissing. Screaming. Crying. Letting go. Worrying. Missing. Forgetting. Leaving. Annie's face. Beautiful. The only face I want to see. Hold. Touch. I want her. I need her. Annie...

"Finnick? Hello?" Mags snaps me out of my daydream. It takes me a few minutes to remember where I am. All of the tributes are about to take the chariot rides. My outfit... Is a net. That's it. It's wraps around my waist and ends in a knot at my, er... I think you get the idea.

All of a sudden, I spot the one and only Katniss Everdeen. Then I remember what Plutarch said. I need to protect her. To save her. I might as well introduce myself.

I waltz over to where she is, sugar cubes that were supposed be for the horses in my hand.

My one goal: Win her over. Be... Suductive.

"Hello Katniss" I say, putting my face right in hers.

"Hello Finnick" Katniss says, slightly surprised. She looks me up and down, and I smirk. She is so new to this. I must look like a professional.

After a few minutes of talking, I start to notice that she's starting to look uncomfortable. No, no, this isn't what I wanted. I just had to go and be a pervert! I decide to say goodbye and walk away before I screw anything else up.

I'm suddenly loaded into a chariot with Mags, and we're off to play puppets for the Capitol.

I start to drift off again, but this time it's on a darker topic. How will Annie live without me? Who will be there to keep her from slipping into insanity?

I come back to reality with a slap in the face. Literally.

"Hello? Earth to Finnick?"

My eyes focus on Johanna Mason's face. It feels good to have a friend here.

I met Johanna at the crowning of my first Games. I'm not quite sure why she was here in the Capitol back then. She asked me for... Favors. I declined. And then we started kind of.. going out, I guess. Not really dating. Just great friends. She hated the Capitol as much as I did. That's the main thing we bonded on. Killing President Snow.

"Johanna!" I pick her up and swing her around, somewhat overjoyed.

"Calm down there, tiger. I thought you had a girlfriend"

My mind goes back to the topic of Annie again, for the millionth time. "I.... I do."

"Then I don't think she'd want to see you man-handling some other woman."

She leans in close to my ear. "I don't think you'd want Snow seeing you together, either. So keep romance on the down-low, 'kay?" She waltzes away, moving her hips side to side seductively.

She obviously still wants those favors.