Chapter 24

FINNICK

I'm surprisingly calm as I step into the elevator that will take me up to the arena.

My hands are damp with sweat, and my heart is beating so loud I can hear it in my head. But I try to keep a straight face. I can't break down... Not yet.

The elevator jerks, and starts rising.

Here we go. My second Games. I'm going to win this. For Annie. Not for Katniss or Johanna or Snow or Plutarch or anyone else. This is for Annie.

As I enter the arena, the smell hits me, and it's as if I'm home. It's salt water. The ocean... The arena has an ocean! Oh my god... This couldn't have gone better. I now have an instant advantage. Just wait until Annie sees this.. She'll be thrilled.

30 seconds.

I look around, squinting my eyes to block out the sun. I don't see Katniss anywhere. She's probably on the other side of the Cornucopia.

20 seconds.

If I do get out of this alive, I'll propose to Annie. I should've done it earlier.. I probably won't get through this, and she will never experience a wedding. I can just see her now, in the most beautiful wedding dress... No, it's not the dress that's beautiful. It's her.

10 seconds.

Okay, I can so this. Make it out alive. Annie and I could have a child if I do. A son or a daughter who we could take to the beach everyday.. I hope he or she looks exactly like Annie.

5 seconds.

4 seconds.

3.

2.

1.

The gong sounds, and I plunge into the water, swimming as fast ever.

As I swim towards land, I keep my eyes on the glimmering trident in the center of the Cornucopia. That... That is the only thing that will get me out alive.

I've been training with a trident since I was 5 years old. My dad used to take me out on the beach, and all day long we would spear fish. He used his old, rusted trident that his dad gave him, and I used a small, wooden spear to practice precision. Every so often he would let me use his trident... That was the only time my dad and I bonded. Otherwise, we were very, very distant.

I snap out of my daydream when I feel sand in my hands. I stand up on the shore and take in a deep breath. It smells just like home... Where Annie is.

I sprint over to the Cornucopia and grab the silver trident, glittering in the scolding sun. When I turn around to meet any attackers, I see Katniss Everdeen, her bow aimed at my heart.

Remember, I remind myself, Katniss. You need to protect Katniss.

I suddenly remember the golden bracelet that Plutarch gave me. "Make sure she sees this" he said. "She won't want to kill you as much."

As I raise my trident, I make sure that my bracelet reflects the sunlight. I know that she has seen it when her face lessens that hardened look. I can tell that she's confused, pondering whether to kill me or not; sizing me up. But even if she didn't trust me, by the time her arrow would pierce my chest, she would already be dead. I'm just too quick for her, and I hope she realizes realizes that soon...