Chapter 1

Hello everyone! Just letting you know that this story will switch off from Finnick and Annie's point of views. I am going to publish this story chapter by chapter. All rights go to Suzanne Collins.

Happy reading!

-HGfangirl66

"And suddenly, it's as if there's no one in the world but these two, crashing through space to reach each other"

- Katniss Everdeen, Mockingjay

ANNIE

I wake up to find my blankets twisted into a cyclone. I must have been having bad dreams about the Reaping, which is today. I'm terrified. I dread this day. Luckily, I have never gotten reaped before. But there is a chance I could today. My father comes into my room. "Rise and shine, Annie"

I let out a groan. I hate how he always tries to make reaping day the happiest day. It's not. He's probably glad he's not the one who's getting reaped. I get out of bed and climb into my reaping dress, the ugliest dress I have ever seen. It is a puke-colored green with a gray bow around the waist. My mother makes me wear it every year and it's very embarrassing.

I skip breakfast, knowing that I'll probably throw it up anyway. When my father tells me it's time to leave, I am staring at myself in the mirror, telling myself "it's not gonna be me, it's not gonna be me." Finally, I give up trying to convince myself and follow my father out of the house.

************

When we arrive at the town square, almost everyone is already there. I kiss my father goodbye and rush over to the table where they prick my finger, then I find my age group. I rock back and forth on my feet, growing very impatient. Finally, the funny looking man who escorts District 4 every year waddles up to the stage. "Welcome to the 70th annual Hunger Games! As always, ladies first!" He walks over to the large glass bowl. I close my eyes and go to my happy place:

I'm on a beach. I can hear the waves crashing on the shore. I'm in my paradise.

When I open my eyes,the whole group of 17 year olds are staring at me. "Annie Cresta?" the escort repeats. When I realize what's going on I stumble to the stage, half shocked, half stunned. He calls the boys name, which I can't hear over the pounding of my heart. Then, this skinny, wimpy boy walks up to the stage and I realize he's definitely screwed. Peacekeepers push us into the Justice Hall and lock us in separate rooms. I stare at the door and feel tears stream down my cheeks. "What just happened?" I think to myself. Suddenly, the door opens and my mother and father walk and we all hug each other. "Don't cry" my mother says. For some odd reason, this makes me mad. "I have every right to cry!" I yell. This doesn't surprise them, and they hug me again. They have no idea what this feels like.

A peacekeeper comes in and tells them its time to leave. No one else comes in and it's silent. I guess no one else really cares about me. So much for being sponsored. The same peacekeeper walks in and tells me its time to get on the train.

************

The train is like a much smaller version of the Capitol. Tons of food, wacky decorations, and amazing views as we pass through the districts. I sit quietly with my District partner, whose name I still don't know. He stares at me intently, as though he is confused. I fell bad for him. He's going to die for sure. Suddenly, the door opens and in walks who I assume is our mentor. I can't help but stare.