Chapter 8

FINNICK

Right as I say this, Annie seems shocked. But then I remember that she doesn't know the real President Snow. But I decide to save that for later since I've told her so much already.

"Oh, Finnick, I'm so-"

I don't want to hear sorry again, so I kiss her.

This is the first person besides Capitol women that I've kissed in a while. I've just never gotten up the courage.

I smile, because she kisses me back. We go over to the couch and continue kissing. Not making-out, but just light, sweet kisses. I try to be delicate, because I want to remember that this is Annie and not some Capitol woman.

I pull away, and what I say next I don't even think before I say it.

"I love you"

Her eyes go wide, and I search for something to change the subject with.
I stand up and run my hand through my hair.

"Um, it's late. You should, uh, get to bed."

She stands up, too. "Yeah, I agree. Um, goodnight" and with that, she's gone.

Great. I've scared her. I'm about to open the door when I remember she asked me to stay here with her, so I lay on the couch. And never fall asleep.

After what it seems like a long while staring at the ceiling, I look over at the clock. 1:30. Great. I drift off, but a loud noise awakens me. Someone screaming. Annie.

I rush upstairs and go straight into her room. Yep, it's her alright. "Annie, Annie" I say, lightly shaking her. She sits straight up, let's out another scream, and opens her eyes.

"Oh, Finnick!" She hugs me tight, and starts crying. "Shh, Annie it's alright. I used to have these dreams all the time. In fact, I still do"

She pulls away and looks at me. "About the games?"

"Yeah. I think they haunt everyone. Now go back to sleep." I start to get up, but she grabs my arm.

"Will you lay here with me?"

No, no, this isn't a good idea.

"Sure" I say.

I'm so stupid.

I ignore my conscience and slowly climb in bed with her. I try to stay as far away from her as possible; I don't want anything to happen, if you know what I mean. But I don't really have a choice when she moves close to me and buries her head in my chest. I don't really know where to put my arms, so I put one under my head and the other to my side. She doesn't seem to notice their not around her.

That night I got the best sleep I've had in a long time. And I think Annie did too, because she didn't scream the rest of the night.