Chapter 6

FINNICK

As Annie and I walk to the beach, something bizarre happens.

Annie stops and kneels on the ground, clutching her ears with her hands, and I know what she's thinking about.

Reese.

She did something similar in the hospital, only she was asleep. I cant know what she's going through because I didn't stick with my district partner in my games. In fact, now that I look back, I think she was the first one I killed. It's unbelievable how bloodthirsty I was back then.........

I shudder, shaking off the memory, and kneel down next to Annie. "Annie" I whisper, lightly rubbing her back. She slowly lets go of her ears and comes back to the world. I smile and she hugs me. We both get up and start walking. She has her arms crossed, so I can't hold her hand.

Maybe I made her uncomfortable with the hand-holding thing. I mean, we're not a couple. Well, I want to be. I doubt she feels the same way. Plus, how old is she? 17? And I'm 20. And with the Capitol thing she would be in danger.......... I decide to put it out of my head until later.

Then I think of another question. Should I tell her about me and the Capitol? No, no, I shouldn't. It would put her in danger.

I'm so caught up in my thoughts that when Annie starts talking it frightens me. "Finnick" She stops walking, and I realize we're already halfway down the beach. "Yeah?"

She takes a deep breath. "Are you, um.... Never mind"

"Annie, Annie what is it?"

"Are you keeping a secret from me?"

This question takes me off guard. "No" I say, turning around and holding back tears. I don't like keeping secrets from people, especially Annie. Should I tell her? Oh, she's so adorable......

Annie sits down on the sand and says "Finnick, we are not leaving until you tell me"

Correction. Adorable, but stubborn.

I sit down next to her and hold her hand with both of mine. "Annie, I have so many secrets, I don't know which one you want to know"

"Well, why don't you like thank you's? Cause you really didn't want to hear mine"

"Annie" I say. "I'm going to tell you something I have never told anyone before. And you have to promise, promise you won't tell a soul"

She nods in excitement and I quickly go over a few things in my head.

I can trust Annie. She won't tell anyone. And tomorrow I will hopefully ask her out on a date. I let myself know once again that all of these things are big risks.

I take a deep breath, and begin.

Vote and comment! Thanks so much for reading and updates coming soon!