Chapter 7

ANNIE

"Annie, this has been...... very hard for me and its been going on for many years." He takes a deep breath. He looks pretty nervous, which makes me nervous.

"I-I, um," he runs his hand through his hair. "The Capitol, er, President Snow, used to........sell me to, um, other Capitol women"

My jaw drops open. This whole time, I've thought so wrong about him. I thought he was all for the Capitol. Loving them, and then disposing of them like they were trash. But, oh was I wrong.

"They would invite me into their house, then we would have dinner, and talk and then, uh-" I put my finger to his lips, because I know what comes next. He is glad I do, because I don't think he can go on, he's crying so much. I start to cry, too, and pull him in for a hug.

I stroke his hair and rub his back, telling him it's ok. But really, it's not. President Snow has this iron grip on him that he can't escape. I've seen him leave for trips a lot, maybe three times a week, but I never knew where he was going. I can't imagine what it would be like. Doing anything those women want almost every night. We are still hugging and he's crying like I've never seen anyone cry before, but I don't stop him, because I know he has been holding this in for a long time.

I start thinking about me being wrong about him again, so I break the hug, take his face in my hands and say "I'm sorry"

His face is overtaken with puzzlement.

"Why?"

"I thought you were some player. Like you were in love with the Capitol and was on their side. But I was so, so wrong" I start sobbing again.

Finnick stands up and pulls me up with him, changing the subject. "It's getting late. We should get home. Uh, I mean, to your house."

I agree, and we walk home in silence.

********

Right as we walk into my house and Finnick closes the door, he pulls me in for a hug.

"Annie, I don't want to make you feel guilty, and you have nothing to be sorry for. This is no one's fault but mine"

"How is it your fault?" I ask. "What will they do if you refuse?"

"Um..... well....."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-"

He cuts me off. "The president will kill someone you love"

Wow! Three chapters in two days! I feel accomplished:) More updates coming soon!