Chapter 17

Zoe's POV

"Who the fuck are you?" I hear Martin say rudely and I roll my eyes before pushing out my chair and racing to the front door.

"Cam!" I almost shriek, running up to the door. I push past Martin and practically leap into Cameron's arms. He chuckles lightly, picking me up.

I haven't seen Cameron in 3 years. He moved away when we were sophomores and we kind of lost touch over time. I grew up with him since his mother and mine were best friends so by default, he and I became just as close. I knew him long before I knew Lea and he was the only friend I really had. We used to do everything together and eventually we earned the nickname "Double Trouble" because everywhere we went, we'd wreak havoc. Even though I haven't seen him in so long, his bear hug is just as familiar and comfortable. Only when tears prick the corner of my eyes do I realize how much I've missed him.

My mind is racing with questions as he lets me go and holds me at arms length.

"Someone's excited to see me." He laughs and the sound makes me smile. Him visiting couldn't be at a more perfect time.

"Obviously," I roll my eyes, "Why are you here? Are you visiting? Why didn't you call?" I ramble.

"Can we carry on the Spanish Inquisition inside?" Cameron chuckles.

"Oh yeah, sure. Okay. Come on in." I smile, a bubbly feeling of happiness and familiarity soothing over the horrible day I've had.

When I turn around, Martin's standing at the door, a look of complete confusion and annoyance on his face as he glares at Cameron.

"Martin, this is Cameron. Cameron, Martin, " I gesture between them. "Its a long story." I say to the both of them, the story being a different one for each of them. Martin moves aside, glaring at me as he closes the door.

"We ordered pizza, there's more than enough," I say, as Cameron looks around.

"Nothing's changed," he laughs, "And no, I just stopped by to say hello. I'll come by tomorrow and we can go out. You know, catch up properly." His familiar lopsided grin appears and I want to rush up and hug him again.

"At least stay a bit?" I beg. He's here after three years and I'm not letting him leave after 5 minutes.

"Yeah sure, if he doesn't mind.." Cameron trails off, glancing at Martin, his face uncertain. It takes me a second to catch on to what he's thinking.

"Martin doesn't mind," I say, laughing. I hear him growl behind me just low enough for me to hear and I throw him a questioning look. He brushes past me and I suck in a breath when his bare chest once again bumps my shoulder. I watch as he saunters up the stairs before I shake off the dizzy feeling and focus on Cameron.

"You look different," I say, walking to the kitchen.

"Well, yeah. It's been three years Zo," Cameron laughs as he takes a seat at the kitchen table. "You look different too."

"Well, yeah. It's been three years Cam," I mimic. "So, how long are you here for?" I grab a plate and pile on a few slices before sliding it over to him. I know it's his favorite topping, pepperoni and olives. He got me addicted to it and since then, it's the only pizza I can eat.

"A month or so. My dad's here for another one of his conferences," Cameron shrugs, his eyes lighting up as he picks up a slice. "Nice topping choice," he smirks and takes a massive bite.

Inside, I nearly fall over with the giddy feeling of having Cameron back. I missed having him around all the time. Sitting at the kitchen table with him, I feel like everything's back to normal. But then I remember my father and I have to shut my eyes for a second to stop myself from letting my worry show.