16. Green-eyed monster

It was everywhere. One week later and it was still hanging on everybody's lips, plaguing their minds...

No one dared to even try and approach him -or Estefany, for that matter- yet they were all thinking it. I could see it in their stolen glances. Their secretive whispers.

He was a monster. A cruel, heartless monster.

A demon with the face of an angel...

I whispered in my mind as I stole another fugitive glance in his direction, my heart leaping as soon as I noticed that he was about to turn his head and look in my direction too.

I quickly averted my gaze and tilted my chin downwards, absently scrolling through all the messages I've sent so far to those three different numbers that could belong to my father, unfortunately none of them having a single reply.

Of course he wouldn't answer. I bet he doesn't even care.

I blew out a dejected sigh, slowly starting to feel a little bit tired and overwhelmed by everything that was currently going on in my life.

"You alright?" I suddenly heard David whisper from right next to me, receiving a simple nod before I turned my head to look at him and gave him a small and rather lifeless smile, choosing to just stop thinking about anything at all as I then leaned back and averted my attention to our teacher, for once paying attention to everything she was saying and taking notes as the time flew by.

So when the class ended and the bell rang, I stretched my stiff limbs as I casually looked around at my classmates hurrying to empty the room, taking my time to gather my things and get up as well as David was gathering his.

I stepped into the row between the desks, about to make my way towards the exit when a shadow suddenly fell on my path, making me slowly raise my gaze to look at whatever caused it.

I noticed the broad expanse of blackness first, my eyes trailing over the outline of a firm chest and a masculine neck as I raised my chin higher and higher, my heart starting to pump faster and faster as soon as those piercing green eyes found my own.

I thickly swallowed, scared to make any movement or sounds as the demon stared at me with a heart-stopping intensity.

What the hell did he want now?

I didn't dare utter a single word though, finding myself trapped into that completely uncomfortable staring contest until the feel of a warm body standing right behind me had me exhaling the tiniest breath of relief, noticing the way Satan's gaze shifted to look right past my shoulder, no doubt staring at David now.

I didn't miss the way his facial expression contorted with rage, silently seething as they stared at each other for what felt like an eternity, having a some sort of quiet battle until Satan finally gave up and stepped aside, letting us pass.

Whew...

What the hell was that all about?

**

I checked my phone for the millionth time as I boredly laid over the couch in the living room, waiting for Andrea to get ready as we were about to go out shopping with the girls and David.

The Fall prom evening was happening right this weekend, so we had to pick our costumes as soon as possible.

No new emails, it read as I entered my email inbox, making me sigh with disappointment and throw my phone in a comfy chair nearby before diving face-first into a pillow, letting out a frustrated grunt.