11. Run

I couldn't move...Couldn't seem to get enough air into my lungs as I stared, entirely frozen.

Black and grey danced into a furious blur as they violently clashed before my very eyes, producing terrifying growls and yips as they bit and snapped and scratched at each other, resembling a pair of rabid dogs.

Lips parted open as that damn stubborn air refused to fully enter and replenish my starved lungs, my fingernails dug into the moist and rich soil, desperately fighting that looming dizziness poking at the edges of my mind.
And with a strangled whimper I clumsily turned and stumbled over my own knees as adrenaline finally kicked in, slipping and tripping over the leafy forest floor as I started running.

Hearing the dull thuds of my own staggering steps, those horrifying sounds coming from behind gradually faded away as I kept adding more and more distance in between, wheezing like a dying horse as my throat and lungs burned with a vengeance.

Cold and tiny droplets of sweat peppered my skin as I slowed my pace before stopping altogether, trying yet again to regain my breathing as I stared right ahead, lastly noticing I had actually ran all the way back to my car.

And without a second thought I hurried straight towards it then shoved my hand into my arm-band and fished out my phone before prodding around for my keys.

"No..." My eyes went wide as soon as I realized that they weren't there, my hands starting to shake whilst my throat proceeded to close off again, slowly but surely severing my connexion with reality.

"No no no, no NO!" I futilely grabbed onto the door handle of my car and pulled a few times with desperation as I loudly wheezed, lastly resorting to a fit of useless punches and slaps against the window.

"No...no...." I let out a few strangled whimpers, falling into an uncontrollable spiral of utter fear and despair as the world started spinning around me.

"No...please no..." I sobbed, letting my phone fall from my hands as I dizzily stared at my surroundings, accidentally letting my gaze fall over the car's window, just in time to see Nathan's reflection getting bigger and bigger as he approached.

My eyes widened, feeling that stab of horrifying fear dig into my chest as I let out a terrified squeal, pushing myself away from the car before I started running again -or more like stumbling around- as my jumbled mind kept working up against me until I finally lost that single ounce of power left in me and unceremoniously landed on my knees, his blurry silhouette being the last thing I could see before reality left me.

"Stay...away...from-"

**

My breath came out in loud and audible wheezes as I suddenly woke up and rose myself into a sitting position, still feeling the aftermath of that horrible nightmare.

"Fuck..." I whispered as I could still so vividly remember the image of those two giant wolves fighting, lightly pressing a palm against my damp forehead as I swung my feet over the edge of the bed and sat there for a moment longer.

I am going fucking crazy...

I thought, casually noticing that I was still wearing my running outfit from this morning.

What the...

My breathing started quickening again as I wracked my brain with new questions and thoughts, wondering what the hell happened with me and why was a good portion from this day completely missing from my brain...

Why can't I remember how I got back home in the first place? Did I ever go running anyway?

I wondered as I looked over the nightstand for my phone to check the time, my eyes widening a little bit as I noticed the visible traces of dirt over it, right before an audible and heavy thud followed, thoroughly startling me as my head immediately snapped in the direction it came from.