Charlie's POV Part 2

A/N: Comment & Vote

When I opened my eyes I was shocked.

I was warm, in the soft fluffy bed. I was home. I rolled onto my side and turned on the lamp, relishing the fact we had heat and electricity. Even the ridiculously large tv was a comfort. Sad I blinked I could see my mate's body hitting the ground again.

Emotion grabbed me by the threat. My hands flew to my middle. Was the child okay? He won't have a father. I choked back tears and sat up. I felt the covers around me and found myself thinking wistfully about the furs that had been laid over Raven and my bed. Hunger pains hit me hard, mixing with the awful morning sickness and I lurched up and ran to the bathroom to puke. I could hear male voices from downstairs. Red and Marc--did that mean Mason was here to?

I found some unopened toothbrushes under the sink and washed out my mouth. I walked quietly down the hall, praying I wouldn't run into anyone. I knocked on Mason's door and he opened the door, bleary eyed. A surprised look filled his eyes. "You're up."

"Yeah. How'd we get back here?"

"Red."

Duh. I nodded and turned to go back to my room. I didn't feel like running into anyone else. "Charlie wait."

I paused and glanced back at him. "What?"

"I feel like I failed him." Mason's lower lips wobbled and I almost felt bad for him.

It was hard to remember the time when death was shocking and devastated me the way it had Mason. Somewhere between muddled memories I could see a rogue stabbing another wolf through the skull. Trigger had been there to comfort me.

Trigger...I hadn't thought of him in so long. I shook it off as my own reality demanded my attention. "You'll get over it."

I went back to my room and closed the door. As I drew the blinds the loss of Raven hit me all over again. He had been an evil, foul man. But he was the father of my child.

I couldn't do this alone.

I didn't want to do it alone. I couldn't.

I pulled the blankets over my head abs stroked my tummy. It would grow as the child did. I never witnessed an actual birthing--but I could only imagine the horror of it. I closed my eyes tight and willed myself to focus on something else.

"Charlie!"

I pushed back the pile of furs as Trigger stood at the mouth of the carved out room. His eyes were bloodshot and his hands curled into fists. I swallowed dryly and stood, backing into the chilly stone wall of the cave. He had just been chewed out by Deacon judging by the blood seeping into cotton shirt from the back of his neck. Trigger would wear his shame for a week before he healed.

I had it coming. "I'm sorry. I just... It was so hot and the river is--"

"In human goddamn territory!" Trigger roared. His left hand shot out, claws extending from the tips of his fingers. "You know to wait for me. You know my rules!"

I winced at the tips pressed against my flesh. He could rip me open if he so chose. "I'm sorry!" I whimpered. "I thought--"

He cuffed me, leaving four deep gouges in my cheek from his claws. I cried out and grit my teeth. "Shut up. You won't be leaving this cave again--you hear me? You made a fool out of me! In front of my Father!"

Trigger had every right to be furious. My face burned in shame and my eyes filled with tears. "I ought to slit your throat." Trigger's tone went soft as the tears slipped down my cheeks.

My savior deserved my respect. He had saved me from the torture of his fellows. He had brought me to his cave. And he had laid out very simple rules. "You see now why I can't give you my Mark?" Trigger's claws had retracted and his thumb caught a tear. "You're still a kid Charlie. And you don't love me."

"I do! I deserve it! I shouldn't have gone to the river!"

"No you shouldn't have." Agreed Trigger angrily. "But, what more can I expect? Kids break rules--I know I did when I was a pup."

"I'm not a pup!" I cried angrily. "I can handle your punishment."

"It's not a matter of handling it, Charlie. You're not ready for this kind of lifestyle. You don't belong here."

It hurt to hear the love of my life reject me in such a way. "Please," I choked. "I love you Trigger."

"No you don't. You need to keep your head up and keep trying to find a way out of here. I'm trying with Deacon but your Alpha refuses to negotiate with rogues."

My eyes shut. It had been the same story for two seasons now. No one had come for me.
Especially not now I had been spoiled in such a primitive way. Who would want me? Not even Trigger would take me. "I'd be a good mate for you."

It was my one goal in life. My sole use. The expectation for my kind. Be a good mate.

But Trigger wouldn't take me. He treated me like a child, scolding me, punishing me, watching after me as I was a pup! "No Charlie. You'll find your true mate one day. Hopefully I'll just be a good memory."

While my heart ached I asked, "What about my punishment?"

Trigger shrugged his shoulders and winced. "You didn't mean to disobey me. So what I have some bite marks? They'll make fun of me behind my back anyway."

He laid down on the pile of furs and put an arm around me. "Did you see anything interesting at river?

QOTC: thoughts?!
Goal: 15 comments