Orion

A/N: Comment & Vote!

"You look like you just saw a ghost."

I crossed my arms uncomfortably. I had retreated to the quiet downstairs but Marc had of course found me. "I found us some condoms," he added with a coy smile. "Wanna see if they work?"

"I'm not in the mood."

His face crumpled. "Do you know what I had to walk into to get these? Cam is a fucking whale naked by the way."

"So will I be if you decide to knock me up," I snapped.

Marc frowned. "I was only picking."

"Will needs help Marc. Real help. Red can't tough love this out. He asked me to kill him." My voice shook. I felt so awful saying it. The young boy upstairs may have been shattered beyond repair.

"That's too bad." Hummed Marc. "He doesn't have it that bad though. He'll be fine."

"How can you say that?" I snapped furiously.

Marc recoiled looking shocked. "You saw our Omegas--the kid had it easy compared to what they go through nightly."

"You're disgusting."

Marc rolled his eyes. "I didn't fuck him up--in fact, I haven't fucked anyone lately." He had the audacity to sound annoyed.

I rolled my eyes and got up. "I'm going for a walk."

"Mason wait," he sighed. "I don't want to fight alright? What's happened it terrible. But you can't fix everything and everyone. Sometimes things just happen: survival of the fittest."

***

Survival of the fittest.

We weren't complete animals. Those who had more strength and cunning naturally preyed on those weaker. Did that make it natural? Any less awful? I stirred the sauce absentmindedly. Marc and I weren't speaking after his little contribution which he followed up with a crotch grab that turned my stomach.

Red had asked me to make Cam something 'starchy' for dinner--supposedly it was one of his cravings. Cam was at the table looking through the book again. Occasionally he would throw out a name. He didn't want my opinion clearly because a hum would always be sufficient. It bothered me a bit that he seemed so oblivious to our friend's suffering. When I told Red about his request he'd shrugged it off.

It was unnerving how callous they were.

I could hear them hammering away upstairs. The apartment remodel was their top priority, as well as finding a doctor to come look at Cam. Red's paternal instincts were still kicked up full blast much to my dismay. What had started out kind of cute and a nice change was quickly becoming a headache all its own.

Plus it was further putting a stick up Cam's ass. The once shy boy had turned into an entitled prick as of late. "Is it almost done? I'm starving." He whined.

"No. Sorry," I lied turning down the heat so it would take longer.

It wasn't necessary and probably very bitchy on my end but I couldn't help it. I was feeling bitter. "You're slow," he sniffed. "It's been like an hour."

"It's only been twenty minutes Cam. You're fine."

"It feels like an hour." He huffed. "Franklin."

I rolled my eyes and continued the slow stirring. Eventually I heard the working sounds cease and they come downstairs. "The food isn't ready?" Red asked immediately.

"No!" Cam gladly contributed. "He's being slow!"

"It's almost done." I subtly cranked up the heat and let the sauce simmer while I boiled the pasta.

"Nicholas. Isn't that's nice?" Red commented suddenly.

"No." Scoffed Cam. "Gross."

"How would you feel about knocking down a wall and having a studio for us?"

"What do you mean gross?" Red argued. "You've shot down every idea I have."

"Because they don't sound right, Red! This baby is a miracle--he needs a miraculous name! We'll realize it when we hear it."

"Orion." Marc said suddenly from the table. I glanced back at him. He was looking through some envelopes. "I always wanted to name my son that."

"Orion is gay." Red said instantly.

"Orion is perfect!" choked Cam. My eyes narrowed. "Red that who he is! Orion! Our little Orion! My sweet little Orion..."

"I guess it's not that bad," Red said hesitantly.

"You can't have it," I snapped. "That's our name."

Red glared at me but Cal had no trouble piping up. "You're not even having kids!" Cam's face was turning an ugly red. I almost wanted to laugh. "Red tell them I can have it."

"Jesus it's not that big of a deal is it?"

"I don't care." Shrugged Marc. "But if Mason wants it for our kid then that's the end of it."

Cam's mouth dropped open and I snorted despite myself. Cam huffed angrily and Red tried to appease him with a stroke of his hand and half hearted mention of 'Nicholas' again.

***

"You were just trying to bother him tonight?"

I shrugged and turned the page of my book. Lying in bed beside my mate and reading while he watched the news felt so weird. But it was probably the most normal of occurrences. "He doesn't need extra stress Mason. Don't be an ass."

"I'm being an ass? Have you seen him?"

"He's excited," frowned Marc. "You'd understand if you were pregnant."

"Why are you on their side? Always. Either way I'm always wrong." I crossed my arms. "You act like Red's bitch."

"I think you're scared and this is you trying to deflect the baby talk by upsetting others. Very childish in my opinion."

Infuriated by his assumption (however correct it may have been) I got up and stormed downstairs. Red was already up doting on stupid Cam so it was empty and dimly lit. I turned on TV and seethed a few moments until Marc came downstairs. I was a bit hurt he hadn't immediately done so but I just let it fuel my rage. "I don't appreciate how you're acting right now."

"I don't care," I snapped. "I just..."

I just what? I wasn't sure why everything was getting on my nerves. Was it dick withdrawal? "You're jealous. And that's fine."

"Jealous?" I all but shrieked.

"Red said you used to be kind of a big deal. Now Red isn't giving you as much attention--"

"You're insane if you think this is about Red."

Marc rolled his eyes. "Whatever. If you're going to be bitchy all night you might as well sleep down here."

He got up and I sat there, stunned. Had I just been kicked out of my own room? And what was worse was that he was right. I was jealous at how Cam's life was coming together. At home Red changed from an asshole into an acceptable mate overnight.

And, of course, that he was having a baby.

QOTC: Thoughts?!