CHAPTER 18

I went back up to my room after Ashton left and played on my bed listening to music. Tommrow was Saturday and my birthday but I didn't tell shane and Joey.

I hated my birthday ever since my mom died. I hated my dad's presents they where terrible and I hated how it was always worse on my birthday. So this year I was planning to just avoid it.

Shane's P.O.V

Cole is going to be so surprised tommrow when he finds out we knew his birthday. We kept it small didn't invite any friends except Ashton, Cole seems particularly fond of that damn boy.  We have him presents and a cake and everything I just hope he likes it.

---------------------------------------------------

Still Shane's P.O.V

The next morning everything is set up with one exception.

"I told you he wouldn't come." I whispered to Joey. He is about to reply when there is a knock on the door.

I open it to reveal a pretty busted up Ashton. His lip was split and the was a bleeding cut on his face along with multiple bruises almost covering up the one I gave him. His nose was also bleeding leaving a long trail of blood down his neck. The kid looked like he had been through the shredder.He had his head down and his whole posture screamed sadness. He looked up when the door was fully open. He then did the most unexpected this you would think. He grinned.
"Hi Mr.Dawson sorry I'm late I got a little....carried up."  He gestured to himself with a chuckle.

"Ashton what happened" I said letting him in the house. He limped in like a lost puppy. I sat him down on one of the kitchen chairs. I waited for his awnswer
"I uhh-" He was cut off by Joey coming in the room and imeadetly asking questions.
"Oh my god what happened is he ok!" He let out in a rushed breath.
Ashton spoke up. "I'm fine just a little bit of a busted face it will be fine. Now where's the birthday boy."
"I know that's not the truth. What happened?" I asked I was not going to let this go. Ashton looked baffled. Apparently people normally just let it go. "Um...I uh got in a fight." He stuttered. I nodded. "With who?"
I asked I knew he wasn't telling me everything.
He looked up surprised then looked down. "Micheal Gaston." He whispered. My eyes went wide and Joeys mouth gapped open. We didn't know much about the kids around here but everyone knew Micheal. He picked fights almost every hour and he was known to fight with a knife which would explain the deep bleeding cut on Ashton's arm.
Ashton looked very uncomfortable. "I'm fine now...where's this birthday boy." He said his voice slipping a bit.
I looked at Joey. We where going to get to the bottom of this but for now Cole was gonna have a great birthday.