Chapter 16

Everyone was pretty excited and relieved about the news o the lake. No one had bathed in like four days. When you think about it, it doesn't seem that long. But when you are fighting dead decomposing things on a daily basis.

You work up quite a stench.

As much as I like Peter, I can't walk past him without nearly passing out.

"Carmen? Your eyes are glazed over again"

"Oh- uhm yeah, sorry I was day dreaming again" I blushed. I always seem to be away with the fairies.

Well it's better than being down here with the zombies.

Hah, that's funny 'away with the fairies, down here with the zombi-'

"Carmen!"

I snapped out of it completely this time.

"Right. Sorry. I'm focused. What were we talking about?"

Everyone was getting impatient I could tell by their bored groans.

"The lake Carmen!"

"Oh yes, yes, yes right okay let's go!"

Celebratory cheers rose up again.

The lake was about ten minutes walk down the driveway.

We started out trek down to the lake with a lot of energy and excitement.

The gravel beneath my feet screeched with every step,

I remembers falling over a lot when I was little and cutting my knees on the gravel.

Mum always picked me up and pulled out the stones then wrapping my knees in plasters.

She was really caring sometimes.

Without realizing Garret had caught up to me.

"Hey Car? I just want to thank you for letting Mason, Peter and I join you guys. It might have not seemed like it, but we were really scared to say the least"

he laughed anxiously on the last part. His green eyes shimmered with contentment when he was with the group.

"Also... What's the deal with Paxton? Is she seeing anyone? Do her and Max have a thing?"

I grinned. Wow Garret really had the hots for her! Should have known.

I sighed, letting out all worries so I could become Cupid once again.

"Well... No she is not seeing anyone. She is a single Pringle"

He smiled and let out a big breath of relief.

"-But I DO happen to know, that your... Charming boyish traits.. Seem to infuriate her. To say the least"

His smile turned to a confused frown.

I quickly glanced behind us to see where everyone was.

Pax and Max having a conversation, Peter and Mason pushing each other around and Beth, Macy and Karli in a straight line not talking and showing no emotion.

Looks like they are having a great time.

Garret tapped me on the shoulder.

"What do you mean by 'charming boyish traits'?"

What I meant to say was annoying...

"You know, picking at your teeth, acting like an asshole, crude jokes"

He seemed taken back and a little hurt.

"-those are all great and wonderful traits! Just... Tone them down"

He smiled again.

Phew. Saved that one.

As we turned another corner the shimmering water came into sight.

"We're here!" I yelled

Everyone picked up the pace as they started to run toward the water.

Max, Peter and Mason hurriedly started yanking off their shoes and shirts, then undoing their leather belts ad shuffling their jeans off. Max on the other hand slipped of his sweat pants and waded into the water.

"Oh god this feels so nice" Max said as he walked deeper into the water.

Once garret had stripped to his boxers, Peter, mason and Garret all followed Max.

Beth chucked them the one bar of soap that we had between all nine of us.

They began washing their bodies soothingly.

"Come on girls the water is great"

Before I knew it, Beth had already stripped down to her provocative underwear and added herself to the clean crew.

I stripped down too, and began to head into the water. Before realizing that Macy and Karli stood still, not removing any clothing and with no intention of going near the water.

I turned around and went to talk to them.

"Hey what's up?"

Macy sighed

"I don't know, I just don't feel comfortable being in my underwear in front of... Them" she said pointing to the boys.

I laughed "take no notice of them Macy! You need to get clean. This is for your benefit" I said trying to convince her to get into the water.

"Okay..." She said as she slowly took off her dress.

"What about you Karli?"

"I'm just shy. Can you get in with me?"

"Sure" with that Karli stripped down and we walked in together.

A little while later Macy trotted in.

"Carmen!" Peter yelled. I swam over to him.

"Yeah?"

"Can you do my back? I can't do it myself"

"Uh... Sure" I said awkwardly as I began rubbing the soap up his back.

I looked around nervously and caught a glimpse of Macy. She was swirling in the water sweetly.

As she turned around a saw a huge shoulder to shoulder scratch mark.

It was red and purple. Dried blood stained the skin around it. It was quite deep also.

"Macy!" I screamed as I furiously swam towards her.

She stood still.

I touch her back, inspecting the cut.

She screamed.

"Macy. It's okay! We are going to take you home and fix it up okay?"

She sobbed.

"It's too late"

"What are you talking about?!"

I turned her around and saw her arms slowly starting to create specks of grey like in the other zombies.

I gasped.

Everyone else in the lake was quiet.

"Macy listen to me..." I said not taking my eyes of her arms.

"You will be fine..." I said slowly taking her out of the water.

"No. I. WON'T!" She screeched. Her eyes flickered red and yellow as her pupil dilated.

She smacked away and pushed me to the ground.

"Carmen!" I heard someone yell.

Macy knelt on my chest and plunged her mouth down to my neck.

I dodged and she face planted into the rough gravel.

When she brought her face up, it was cut and bleeding. Her nose was smashed and blood poured out in a rough waterfall.

She plunged again.

I dodged, but only just this time.

As she was about to plunge for a third time she fell to the side of me.

Garret had kicked her side with full force.

She cried out in pain and scrambled to her feet and went to attack Garret. He lifted his elbow as it collided with her chin and knocked her to the ground.

He swiftly picked up a rock and started to smash her in re head, repeatedly.

By this time Beth had gotten out of the lake and was running toward Macy's body.

"No, No, No!" She cried as she placed her head on her chest.

"She was my best friend"