Chapter 30

I started to awaken with the kiss of cold hard cement against my cheek. 

My eyes still too heavy to open, I just laid there with the cool breeze caressing my skin.

It felt nice feeling something normal for once.

Not warm oozing blood, just nature.

After gathering the energy to open my eyelids and move my head, I was greeted with an empty room. Just four walls of grey cement and a solid door. 

Panic rose in me, getting to my feet I bolted for the door and tugged on the handle. 

Locked.

wrapping my arms around me I backed up to the wall in utter confusion. A small buzz entered my ears, I looked up to find a camera pointed in my direction.

I waved my hand at it. 

Nothing.

I waved both my arms.

it moved slightly.

Someone is watching me... I thought to myself. 

"I know someones there!" I yelled

"Let me out!" i demanded with a stomp of my foot. I was starting to get mad. Where were my friends? I tried to think about the last thing i remembered. A shot of a gun and a zombie dropping to the ground.

i screamed as loud as i could. I let out all my anger and sorrow. I screamed harder. The ringing of my voice shooting back at me off the walls. Suddenly the clicking of the door snapped me out of my fit of rage.

A man walked in dressed in an army uniform. In his hands he held an ak47, pointed at my feet.

"Your name" His voice was gruff and low. Eyes as golden as the sun cutting through my skin. 

"I said, your name" He yelled it louder this time. I flinched with hesitation.

"Carmen" I barely managed to cough out.

A man and a woman trudged in behind him. She held a notebook while he pushed a trolley of equipment.

My eyes widened as i assessed the tray. What was all this stuff? And why are they bringing it in here? Are they going to torture me? Study me?

I backed up to the wall in fear, trying to accumulate a running start, for the second time today i bolted for the door that they were blocking, I dodged the first man only to be stopped by the second.

I started screaming!

"Restrain her!" The woman yelled.

"No! No!" i thrashed my arms and legs viciously.

A third man walked in with a chair that had straps on the arms. The first man grabbed my pony tail and yanked my head back. His fingers wrapped snugly around my neck.

"That's enough!" He bellowed in my face before slamming me down in the chair. The second man strapped my arms down.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the man with the trolley make his way towards me.

"Please state your age" The woman said, nicely but firmly.

"Seventeen" 

She scribbled what i assume was my answer down on the pad.

"How long have to been living in New Orleans?"

"All my life" I spat back

Again, she scribbled something down.