Prolouge

A/N: Hello, this is my first story on wattpad, ive written a few on quotev. so leave me some comments on if i should continue or if im just wasting my time hahah xox peace

"The Dark Flu has spread to New Orleans, if you begin to feel a fever, coughing, rash or redness in the eyes, contact your family doctor immediatly"

I ran my thumb over the red off button. Its been all over the news for the past month.

We get it.

There's a bad flu going around.

Jeez.

On the plus side, school is still open, and the best part is we get to wear those doctor mouth things.

So hot.

I begin to play with the last few coco puffs that swim in my milk infested bowl.
"Carmen! Food is for eating" My mothers high voice pierces my ear drum.

"Sorry mum" I reply quietly. I cant afford a fight this morning. 

I pull my hair into a high pony tail, grab my books and leave for school. the walk is calming, the neighborhood is so quiet, the only free noise left here was the sound of leaves rustling in the warm summer breeze. The walk is only about ten minutes from home.

Hollingsworth High welcomed me with it's green pastures and cobblestone pathway. The grounds had two lines entering the school. Boys and girls. As I lean against the school gate, I watch someone rummage through the bin in front of me. Muffled noises grow louder from the man with his head in the rubbish.

"Carmen!"

I whip my head toward the direction of the call. I smile brightly when I am hugged my my best friend Paxton.

"Did you hear?"

"About what?" I asked confused as hell.

"The flu! apparently its deadly now"

"No way, the news said-"

"Screw the news!" Paxton interrupted rudely.

"I'm telling you, my mum was with a patient with the disease and he was coughing one minute the next he was gone, just like that" she clicked her fingers to emphasis the sudden death.

"Thank god we don't have it then"

Pax nodded in agreement.

The line had gotten bigger since the talk with Pax, but disappeared fairly quickly and before we knew it, it was our turn.

"Morning Carmen" Mrs Collins smiled half halfheartedly

"Morning Mrs"

She began to give me a quick check up, bright light in the eyes, the popsicle stick in the mouth, temperature check, you know the normal stuff.

"You are good to go!"

"Thanks!" I jumped up off the stool quickly and began to walk off.

"Carmen..."

Fuck...

I turned on my heel. Her hand was extended passing me a surgical mask.

"You know the rule's Carmen, its for you and the other students benefit"

I nod and accept the gift that I did not ask for. They are so ugly like seriously. The first bell rung and Pax and I began to walk to English. The funny thing is, no one really concentrates in school anymore, we are all to worried. The adults around us have scared us shitless of a little cold. Its idiotic.

By lunch Max, Jordan and Karli had joined us, our group was undeniably close mostly because our parents all worked together at the biggest law firm in New Orleans. We basically grew up together.

"Talked to Peter lately?" Max asked, winking and making a kissing noise. Jordan laughed and Karli raised her eyebrow's

"Seriously? Can you guys not?" I blushed. I had a huge crush on Peter but we hardly talked.

"You should ask him out" Pax piped up after swallowing her bite of her sandwich.

"Totally" I say, brushing off her comment with ease. No way would I ever do that. No fucking way.

We all continued talking and eating around our small round table in the middle of the cafeteria.

Suddenly the school alarm began wailing. Teachers started to exit the classrooms and scurry into the cafeteria.

Mr. Mathews, our principal, marched his way down the hall.

"QUIET!" He bellowed. His grey mustache wiggled with the deepness of his voice.

The school became a voiceless pit. The only noise was the screech of the ongoing alarm.

Footsteps filled the hallway once again, with armed policemen.

The alarm was finally turned off.

"Sargent Dave, you have the floor" Mr. Matthews took a step back allowing Dave to stand in front.

The cafeteria was silent.

Sargent Dave cleared his throat.

"Hello boys and girls, teachers and head office." He began, his voice starting to shake vigorously, beads of sweat were visible on his forehead.

I grabbed Max's hand frightened. He squeezed it, as if he was trying to comfort me. It worked.

Slightly.

My eyes scanned the room for Peter. I found him standing with his back against a wall. Eyes locked on the cop who was standing before us.

"We have to announce, that New Orleans had been attacked with the dark flu."

Moans and groans lifted from the students.

"We already knew that!" Someone from the back yelled.

"Yes. But you see, circumstances have changed. The flu had become deadly"

A few gasps escaped from the crowd.

"I told you" Pax whispered softly in my ear.

"That's not all." The man began again

"Some cases in California and Alabama have been reported that the dead... are not staying dead."

He wiped sweat from his brow with his forearm.

My breathing quickened. What did he mean? The dead are not staying dead? That's not possible! I mean come on they can't be...

"ZOMBIES?" I stood up and yelled. My outburst was so random that even I had to resister what I had said.

The room fell silent once again.

Dave opened his mouth.

"Yes."

A/N DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT <3