Chapter 7

The sound of gravel hitting metal was the only sound for miles.

Dry open road laid ahead of us. No houses or shops to either side of us, just dusty land.

I knew we were getting closer to the woods. I could feel it in my bones. My memories were guiding me like a map. I knew all the turns and shortcuts since I'd been here so many times before.

I scanned the bus. Beth was at the back lying down, her arm over her eyes as cover from the sun and her leg propped up for support.

Macy and Max were in the next 2 front seats. Both looking out the glass silently.

I saw Karli up near the driving seat, with Paxton. Her hand was tapping nervously on the coal black dashboard.

Me on the other had was standing dead in the middle of the moving bus.

"Whoever of fucking tapping. I am this close to punching your teeth in." Beth threatened as she sat up and ran her fingers through her hair.

Karli immediately stopped.

"Sorry" she muttered while she flopped into an empty chair.

Beth sighed.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm not really this much of a bitch... It's just..."

"-a shock" I finished for her.

She smiled weakly. Her eyes fell soft and frightened

"Exactly"

I walked over to Beth and placed my hand on her shoulder.

"We are gonna be fine" I reassured her. She nodded but I could tell she wasn't one hundred percent trusting. Yet.

"Do you mind if I check out your scratches?" I asked her. I was careful not to aggravate her. Secretly I wanted to check for bites.

"Sure, knock yourself out" she took of her jacket and pulled up her white singlet, throwing it to the floor.

She sat there in her blue bra and perfectly toned body while I checked her scratches. Bruises, cuts and thankfully no bites.

"Karli, can u grab me a first aid kit please?" I asked kindly as I inspected a rather deep cut.

Max had his eyes glued to her abdomen in awe.

Beth notices and smirked.

"Take a picture, it'l last longer" she teased.

Max blushed and continued to look out the window.

Seeing a huge blue bruise in the middle of her ribs, I gently ran my fingers over it.

"Ouch!"

"Sorry" I mumbled. I tried to remember back to health, I'm sure we did a topic on broken and fractured bones, the signs and healing methods.

"Uh- does it hurt to breath?" I asked her.

"Yeah a little, why?"

"It looks like you have a fractured rib." I stated as I opened the kit that Karli had recently handed me. I looked for pain killers and anti-inflammatory's.

"Shit" I noticed the worry in her voice.

"Don't worry, in a week or two you will be feeling better" I handed her her shirt and pills.

"Thanks Carmen" Beth said as she laid back on the seat. I patted her thigh as if to say "you're welcome"

"Carmen, which way?" Paxton asked from the drivers seat as the bus pulled to a slow halt.

I walked up the aisle to the windshield and leaned over studying the two tracks.

"Left, up the hill and to the right is the manor"

Pax nodded and shifted gear. The ride was quick and before we knew it we were home.

The manor was old and Victorian like. The old creme paint now faded and slightly covered in dirt. There were steps leading up to the front door and a wrap around porch. A swing chair was placed on the left of the front door. It swayed in the slight breeze.

I heaved and pulled out bags from the bus and stumbled towards the stairs. I dumped my bags on the ground and brushed my hands on my tights.

"Here we are!" I exclaimed as I stood before the old home.

I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply. More memories flooded back.

Max's hand cupped my lower back.

"This is amazing!"

I grinned.

"I know right" I leaned in for a hug. His arms wrapped around me. God I love this boy!

"Come on! Lets assign rooms"

I broke away from Max and picked up my bags once again and headed into the house.

****

The furniture was a little deteriorated, but still good.

The moths have had a good go at the curtains, they had holes all at the bottom, but it just added to the house in my opinion.

I ushers people up the stairs. I took the liberty of taking the master bedrooms and showed the rest of my friends the spare bedrooms. There was enough for a room for everyone. Even extras.

Macy on the other hand chose to sleep in Beth's room with her.

"Hey Carmen..."

Max jogged towards me, he stopped and leaned against the wall, his eyes dropped to the floor.

"I'm sorry about your mum."

I sighed. I hadn't had enough proper time to grieve. But I still didn't have time.

"It's okay. I really want to pay my respects and give her the proper funeral that she deserves. But I can't right now" I explained.

He nodded.

"I understand, but it still doesn't mean that it doesn't suck"

I smiled.

"Well at least I have some of my friends"

He grinned

"especially me"

Yeah... Especially you. I thought to myself.