Chapter 5

"Where to first?" Paxton asked as she jumped in the front seat and slammed the door shut.

I adjusted the rear view mirror and caught a glimpse at the three back seat passengers.

We are really doing this.

We are really going to rob supermarkets and clothing stores?

"How about supre?" Karli asked excitedly

"This is SURVIVAL gear Karli. Not a shopping spree for sweet summer outfits!" I explain. This isn't fun. This isn't a game. This is life vs. death and I'm hoping to be on the living side.

She went quiet.

Karli is the type of person who is easily offended and socially not capable of being even slightly embarrassed in public.

She's very fragile.

Physically and mentally.

If I wasn't careful. The zombie outbreak plus my yelling and she would be on the very edge very soon.

I kept my eyes fixated in the road ahead. Calculating turns and figuring out our destination.

"Look I'm sorry Karli, but I'm just stressing"

I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed.

"It's fine" Karli said flatly while he kept her face against the glass window.

I watched as Jordan placed his hand on her thigh an tapped it gently.

I lifted my eyes to the rear view mirror and studied Jordan's face.

He was strangely pale and sweaty. Maybe he's sick. As in vomiting sick, not flu sick.

But maybe...

Cut it out Carmen. He's fine. Stop worrying.

A Kathmandu store was up ahead.

Perfect.

I stopped right outside the store for a quick getaway.

We all jumped out quickly and closed the doors quietly. Afraid of drawing attention to us.

"I'll go first" Max volunteered abruptly.

"Alright, well don't think you have to be the hero here. We are all scared"

I patted him on the back for support.

"Don't tell him that!" Paxton yelled as she stepped forward and also started patting him on the back.

"Go on. Hurry up. We don't have all day!"

Nice Paxton. Send a sacrifice first.

He carried his baseball bat over his shoulder. Ready for an attack.

I followed, then Paxton, Karli and finally Jordan.

Stepping into the store was thrilling. So many emotions pumped through my body.

Excitement, worry and rebelliousness are the recipe for an adrenaline rush.

"We need jackets, pants, shirts, shoes. Everything."

They all nodded

We split up and started shoving clothing into bags.

We had been cleaning out the store for nearly 15 minutes before we heard a rustling.

We all froze.

The rustling was getting closer

By this time we had grouped back again.

"Strip"

"What?" Jordan said confused.

"They track us by scent! And our clothing must have most of our scent on it! Our only hope is to strip down to our underwear and pray like hell it works."

"That makes sense..." Max said, disappointment riddled in his voice.

We all began stripping fiercely.

I couldn't help but noise max and Jordan's body.

And if I may say so myself.

Daymn.

I could feel eyes roaming my body as mine roamed theirs.

The noise was almost in front of us as we grabbed our old clothes and threw them across the room into a big pile.

Hopefully throwing them off our scent and drawing them in the other direction.

We were crouching behind clothing racks with our weapons in hand.

Us girls in bra an undies and boys in tight boxers.

"On my count. Raise your weapons and attack when I say"

They agreed.

The sound was getting closer

And closer

Closer

Hands popped through the rack.

"3..."

"2..."

"1..."

"NOW!"

We all raised our arms when suddenly.

"Stop!" A girl shrieked as she held her hands in front of her in protest.

I felt my jaw drop.

This was unexpected as fuck.

This girl was beautiful. She had deep piercing blue eyes, dark wavy hair that resembled the ocean and pale fair skin.

I was suddenly jealous.

"Why the fuck are you all in your underwear?"

"It's a long story" I snapped.

She looked at me with a faint scowl. Ten her face softened.

She extended her hand.

"I'm Beth Haldway" I shook it politely (still in my crouched position)

"And that..." She said pulling the clothing rack back even more to expose a pretty blonde girl clinging to Beth's arm.

"Is Macy"