Chapter 9

"They what!?" I exclaimed. My head was spinning and I felt sick.

They TOOK Karli?

How can they take her! They don't even know her.

"We have to find them"

I said jumping off the bed, in my mind I was setting up a game plan.

Mapping out the area they could possibly be in.

Thank god I know this place well.

I had consciously put my shoes and jacket on, while my brain ran wild.

"Max, get Pax and grab a weapon for each of us."

"We are going to find them"

Max was now sitting on my bed, legs folded and hands behind him for support.

He laughed cynically.

"They took most of our weapons too."

Anger started to build up inside me. I was completely over ridden with malice.

"And the food" he continued.

"And... Clothes"

Fucking fabulous.

We have hardly have any clothes. Food, or weapons.

"So they left the first aid kits?" I asked in hope.

"Yeah. Only because they couldn't find them. they were under your bed."

I grinned maliciously.

"Well. Fuck them" I have completely given up.

The light in Max's smile dropped to he floor. Smashing into one thousand little pieces.

"What! One second ago you were all Liam Neeson from taken! Now, what you have changed your mind?"

Yep.

"They stole from us! We were generous as HELL to them!"

Breathing in my throat hitched.

"Look, they know where we are... If they decide to come back, then no hard feelings"

He laughed once again. But this time was sincere.

"Yeah okay" he said sarcastically, rolling his eyes at me.

"Seriously! I will not be a bitch. Promise" I tired to sound as truthful as possible. Since even I was doubting whether I could tone down my bitch-o-meter.

Suddenly the door flew open and Paxton hurried in.

"They are gone!" She exclaimed. Her hand brushed past the curtain pulling it back to see if they were outside.

"We know"

Max began to explain what had happened this previous night, since Paxton has zonked out early last night. I didn't blame her, it had been a busy day.

"Wow..." Paxton was leaning on the desk in my room. her head was facing down, her hair hung down past her face and gently bushed the top of the wood.

"So... Now what?" She asked turning to face us. Her eyes looked red and her small baby face looked considerably older, tired and worn out.

I wriggled my toes and stretched out of my cramped position. A yawn played on the tips of my lips.

"We go. We find more supplies and weapons and even more survivors." Both Max and Paxton nod in union.

After about an hour of us getting ready, taking showers and eating the remainder of the food that Beth, Karli and Macy didn't take. We met outside the house. I had on black tights, runners and a black polyester V- neck, Paxton matched me and Max wore sweat pants and a heavy jacket.

"I'm driving this time" I said.

Paxton hot wired the car again before I sat in the drivers seat. Max and Pax stood behind my seat. Watching my every move.

Let me tell you, it was extremely unsettling.

*******

We drove for about half an hour before we reached any sign of shops. We had been away from (what was left of) civilization for only 24 hours, and the streets had changed from deserted, to a crime scene.

Ripped open bodies lay lifeless in the street. Rib cages and other bones were piled up in the road. Crunching and splitting noises began as our wheels ran over the corpses on the roads.

The amount of blood and organs that spilled from houses and shops was unbearable.

"Pull over here!" Paxton yelled, pointing to an abandoned car park.

The bus pulled to a halt.

It was now or never.