Chapter 29

I cant believe it.

Honestly.

All of this for what?

"Hello? Please! Anyone!" Max's fists against the huge metal door sent shivers up my spine. We arrived just after the time declared, after banging on walls for 20 minutes we decided it was a lost cause. Paxton and Peter scoped out the building looking for anyone or anything that could help us get inside.

Nothing.

Not an inch of the block building moved or spoke. It seemed as dead as the rest of the world.

"We might as well head back to the bus" Mason stated. His voice cold and wary. Max scoffed.

"What for? Its not like we can leave anytime soon with no gas and all, the most its good for is storage"  The blue sky that met with the hills shined over Max's shaggy soiled hair. When we were younger his hair used to fall below the crook of his neck and sometimes he would let us girls tie it up in little gold bows. Not often I must add.

"No" Paxton stood up, her piercing blue eyes filed with rage. 

"I'm not doing this anymore! Why does this keep happening to us? Please tell me because I cant keep doing this, I'm going insane!" She screamed at the top of her lungs and kicked the gravel on the ground, tears streaming wildly down her face while she grunted. Max tried to comfort her but she viciously shook his arm away.

"Fuck off!" 

Her hands rose to the sides of her face as she ran her nails down her cheeks, leaving slim red marks. Quickly she walked over too the overgrown patch of grass overlooking the city and sat, sobbing.

Mason, Max, Karli, Peter and I exchanged pitiful looks, Karli sighed before getting up to talk to her.

"Are you sure you checked everywhere?" I asked, trying to push some optimism back into our lives before it wad too late. 

"Almost certain-" Peter answered

"-It's either grey cement or overgrown grass closed off by wire fences"

I rolled my eyes in defeat. No gas, hardly any food or water. The future was looking pretty grim, then again we did put all our effort and resources into a plan that we weren't even sure was going to work.

"Im gonna check again, I mean we have nothing to loose" brushing my hands on my legs I stood up ready to start my mini journey.

"I'll join" Peter said jumping up. My eyes darted to Mason, he grinned and looked down at his hands with a shrug.

"Right, Let's go then"

Peter and I decided to follow the thick bush along the left side of the building first. I made sure I was at good few feet ahead of him.

The airbase stood extremely tall, so tall that you couldn't see the clouds above it or behind it.

It was hard to tell how far the base itself actually went for, due to the wire fences trimmed with barb'd wire, but what we could see it went for a very long time.

"Carmen, wait up!" 

I stopped waiting for him to catch up. Checking over my shoulder for him before I carried on. His hand brushed my shoulder.

"Carmen I want to talk to you, I'm sorry I yelled at you before, its just because I care"

"Yeah" I said icing him out completely. I'm not saying that was a good move but I was still angry at him.

"Carmen talk to me-"

"-Later" I insisted. I really didn't have the energy to deal with him right now.