Chapter 2

"School was let out early?" She asked innocently.

"Mum, you got the flu?" The words spill out like vomit.

"Looks like it" She laughs slightly.

"No worries, in a couple weeks I'll be back to Normal" Her genuine smile made my stomach turn. She didn't know. She didn't have weeks, she had days. Maximum.

I couldn't tell her. She's my mother! Maybe there was a cure, I need to go to the pharmacy, I have to try find something! She can't just die.

"You should get some rest mum"

She sighed, her blocked sinuses crackling with her breath. Her white dressing gown was wrapped around her tightly, her eyes looked red and irritated. My mind went back to the "James" what if she turns out like that?

I can't kill my own mother...

Can I?

I have thought it, as a joke, but never really contemplated it.

What am I saying!? That's totally fucked up.

I heard mums door click shut. Walking back to the lounge I had no idea what to say. What to do. This was officially the worst day if my life and possibly my mothers also.

As I reached the doorway, I heard them talking among themselves. Mostly about family and friends. Karli taught me how to eves drop and get away with it.

"Hey..." I said trailing off trying to find the right words.

"Hey" replied Pax, talking for the group.

Karli had gained consciousness and was sitting next to max with her head in her hands and muffled cries.

Jordan stood up and placed his hand on my waist pulling me closer. His lips pressed against my ears,

"Karli's parents both have the flu... She's scared to go back" he whispered.

My eyes filled with tears. Like I said we grew up together and I knew her parents, they were like family.

I pushed away from Jordan and sat next to Karli, her head fell on my shoulder and I took her hand.

"My mum has the flu." I blurted out. The looks on everyone's faces were practically the same. Shock. Worry. Sadness.

All the same looks I must have been using just minutes before.

Silence took control over the room.

More silence.

Some more silence.

It was like God had a bag full of silence and he just kept sprinkling more quiet dust over the house.

"What are you going to do?" Max finally said.

I'm glad someone broke the silence. I was just not prepared for that question.

"We have to check the pharmacies"

I finally concluded, checking the pharmacies was my best hope. Was my mothers best hope and what Karli's parents best hope.

"Wait- We?" Jordan's eyes filled with fear.

"Yes, 'we'. Aren't we all in this together?" My eyes locked with Max's.

He sighed and stood up. "Yes"

Karli lifted her head and spoke. "So... We are going outside? To the zombies? The ones that eat flesh?"

On second thought. Screw my mum.

Just kidding.

"It's going to be hard, scary and gory. But we are now survivors. To get through this we need to stick together. We need to work together. I will help you if you guys help me. This is our only way of surviving, if you are not willing to stick with me. Leave."