Chapter 13

As the bus drove along the dusty path for the thousandth time. Everyone was so exhausted, Max was asleep with Pax on his shoulder. Garret on the other hand was wide awake, knocking his knuckles against the window. His stare was focused on the sky. Clouds reflected in his emerald green eyes. Peter was lying on the back seat. Like Beth had once done.

It was Mason's turn to drive. Which meant I couldn't sleep because no one knew any god damn directions to this fucking house.

Sorry. No sleep makes people cranky.

"So. You and Peter huh?" Mason said, not taking his eyes off the road. I laughed awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

"What? No we, were just friends" I say. Extremely unconvincingly.

He rolled his eyes and scoffed

"Yeah. Okay" he said sarcastically.

Mason's hands tightened on the steering wheel. His knuckles turned white.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly. Not wanting to anger him.

"Nothing. Just tired" he said.

His hands relaxed and the color returned to his fingers.

I sighed helplessly and rubbed my forehead.

What next?

We can't stay in the house forever.

And anyway, what are the chances of us surviving? I mean come on! There are thousands. Millions of them.

"Which turn?"

I snapped back out of thought and into reality.

No one lets me stay in my mind for long.

"Right" I say blankly. No emotion is left

"I can't do this anymore" I whisper to myself.

"Yes you can" Mason said as-a-matter-of-factly

"Why were you such a dick to people at school?" I blurted out. I don't know why I said it. I just had to get off the topic of me.

His jaw tightened as he sucked on his teeth, contemplating this question.

"Well. When you are warm and sweet. Girls seem to walk all over you. But it's funny, girls always go for jerks and now I am one"

It's true. Girls these days don't have self love and respect. They have to be treated like dirt to feel love.

Out of the corner of my eye a little black blur ran off the track.

"Pull over" I said to mason, he obeyed. Eventually.

"What's going on?" Paxton asked in a sleepy voice, her eyes looked heavy. She still looked exhausted.

"I think I saw... A dog" I said trying to figure out from the quick glimpse I had.

"A dog!?" Paxton yelled. Waking up Max who looked very flustered.

"Can you shut up? Some people are trying to sleep" Garret complained.

"Assholes don't count as people Garret" she said with a smirk. He coughed and mumbled something under his breath, luckily for him Paxton let him have it.

Meanwhile, Paxton had jumped from her seat and ran outside, in order to find the mysterious dog.

I followed her, smitten with her cute reaction. This is why she is my best friend.

She knelt to the ground and started smacking her thighs and whistled into the distance.

A big black border collie began running toward Pax and Bowled into her, knocking her backwards.

"Woah! Woah! Calm down boy" she smiled.

Pax had always loved dogs. All animals in fact. Her goal was to become a vet, but somehow I don't think that is going to work out anymore.

"What should we call him?" She asked me.

I thought for a moment.

"Let's call him Maynard"

Paxton picked up Maynard and carried him into the bus. She sat him on her lap and patted him the whole way home.

Pulling into the driveway gave me a sick feeling. Something was wrong.

The dog started barking as well. Something was definitely up.

As the house came into view my stomach turned as we saw zombies surrounding the house. Panic rose in all of us and even more when we spotted

Karli,

Macy

And Beth in the house.