Chapter 31

Happy Holidays everybody!

WHOOP WHOOP

I hope oyu guys like the update!! I've been kinda busy, and its a little short, but I hope this is enough. 

Thanks for the support on me and my sister's books, we are really appreciating it!! 

LOVE YOU ALL

*Serena's POV*

You know that feeling of when you have been underwater for so long, that as you trample for the top, your lungs burn? You feel as if your lungs would burst, leaving you to fall to the bottom. You thrash around, desperate to live, to be able to see the light again.

Really, I believe that drowning would be one of the worst ways to die. You can't breath, and you are blind in the dark murkiness that is the water. Your lungs, deprived of oxygen, would burn, until you eventually blackout.

As my feet hung in the air, the oxygen being pushed out, I felt that drowning would’ve been better then the pain I felt in my chest. My hands tried pulling his own away, but the longer I swung, the weaker and lightheaded I felt.

“Ple...ssse.” I choke out, cursing myself for using the remaining air that had been there. Black dots surfaced and I was sure this was it.

Then, I felt the pressure on my neck loosen as it was released, but my world was spinning out of control. I didn’t know which way was up for an instant, before the brutal pain hits me like a truck. My back tremors with the impact, as my head slams into the pillar. My vision was blurred and painful. I could barely make out my smirking uncle. I reached back, the ache in my back increasing, touching the crown of my head. I could only feel the warm liquid on my hair, snarling it into knot. The only thing I can think of to say come out in a garble of words. “Shit.”

“This isn’t the strong-headed Serena Hope I know!” Harry exclaims, throwing his hands up in fake question. He practically jogs over, his smile a little too bright. The bile in my throat grows larger at the thought of his happiness.

Let me just say, that when you know you're on the brink of death, you do stupid things. Incredibly stupid things to save your hide. Maybe its your brain desperately trying to survive. Nevertheless, you cant help but try your hardest to live. So, seeing as I wasn’t in the best place in my mind, I thought it was an incredible idea to conjuring up a small speck of water and throwing it at his smirk.

He sputtered, his face giving me the most incredulous look. He wipes away my weak defense and flings it to the floor. His gaze glared into mine, anger prominent.

“Think you're so funny don’t you?” He spat out, bending lower to push his face into mine. “I let you have your sweet little goodbye, but now, you need to bow down to me and give your life up. You and I both know that you are too weak to fight me, so why try?”

My eyes search frantically for anything I could use to defend myself. They shoot around, taking quick glances at everything around me. The only thing close enough for me to reach were the little bits of stone broken off or... then it hit me.

“Listen to me, Serena Hope. I will be glad to get rid of you. I will bask in your death.” He snarls. He makes a grab for my neck again, and I know that this time I wont be getting back up.

There is a thin line between stupidity and bravery. Sometimes before death you do stupid things. Other times you do insanely brave things that would end you immediately after you did. Sometimes, these brave things may seem so utterly demented that you only do them on your last breath. Normally, I would let myself relax and lead myself into a peaceful death, but I knew that no matter what I did, my death would not be peaceful. Anything from it really.

So shoving my logic into the back of my mind, my hand darts out, snatching a blue whip that was attached to the belt that hung from his waist. I am quick to bring it back, straining my spine, before flashing it forward. It flies though the air, like a snake, snapping onto the fleshy part of his cheek.

His curse echos throughout the room as he clutches his right cheek. “You bitch!” He stumbles back, reaching for a column for support.

On weary feet, I stand up slowly, tossing the whip that most likely just saved my life from hand to hand. “I am tired of you controlling my life.” I slur out.

“You are just going to have to deal with it.” He fires back. He starts walking towards me again, a hand resting dangerously close to the gun.

I burst the whip forward, emitting a crack so loud that anyone within this place would hear. His steps freeze as I stare at him, waiting for his next move. Swiftly, his hand twitches, snagging the gun and pressing the trigger.

I want to say all cliche-y and stuff, that it came at me in slow motion, that I somehow awesomely dodged it with super amazing ninja skills, but sadly it didn’t happen like that. One moment there was a loud bang that rang in my ears, the next infinite pain slathered upon my shoulder, leaving me in a heap on the ground.

I don’t even know if I cried out, screamed, or just stayed silent. The immense pain I felt blocked out everything. I had no thoughts, no emotions, no plans. It was just pain, pain, pain. At the time, I don’t think I even comprehended that I was shot, or that I was going to die. Just pain and only pain.

Yet though my mind was a jumbled mess, I wanted to, needed to, get up. The only clean part of my head told me to get up, to keep fighting.

It took tremendous strength to stand up, keeping a tight grip on the whip and the shoulder. My knees wobbled and I felt as if I was balancing on a tightrope “Hey,” I joke lightly, my loopy mind speaking out loud. “that’s not fair, you have a gun.”

“Life isn’t fair sweetheart.” He laughs maniacally before raising the gun to my head.

Gritting my teeth, I feel hopelessness fall onto my being, bringing me back down. When my head slams against the floor, My eyes widen. My jumbled and slurred thoughts in my head clear. But I knew no matter how much of my brain was clean, I was going to die. With my hand pressed against the cool stone, I pray for Gryphon, Ella, Robin, even Mason. I prayed for my parents. I prayed for Cory.

Wait, stone? I pressed my calloused hand against the hard surface. It was then, and only then, that I found the smallest glimmer of hope bear down on me.