Chapter 11

AHHHHHH NEW CHAPTER

THATS EARLY

YAAAAYYYYYY 

Lol I'm weird.

Hope you like!!!

:* ~ A.J.

*Serena’s POV*

“How much longer!” I whined, causing Gryphon to groan once more. I had been doing for about two hours now, since I had nothing to occupy myself. “I'm bored.”

“I know. You have been telling me throughout the whole ride.”  I smile innocently at him.

Humming a random tune, I turn to look out the window. It wasn’t really interesting, Vermont is pretty much the same, mostly just green trees that surround both sides of the highway, but I have never gotten tired of it. The forest was always my safe haven, and I’d go there whenever things at home or school got too stressful. The towns were always small and friendly, everybody knowing everybody. And don’t even get me started on the fall. There was just this scent and air around the whole atmosphere, mixing in with the bright reds, oranges and yellows that filled the mountainside.

“Um, Gryphon?” I ask, breaking the silence.

“Yeah?”

“What do you mean by ‘witch’” He shifts to face me as I continue. “Like potions and broomsticks? Maybe some turning people into frogs?”

He laughs. “No, ‘witch’ is short for Elemental Witch, as in controller of a certain element. There are 4 main Element Witches and Wizards, Water, Earth, Fire, and Air. Then there are other smaller abilities, like Ice, Metal, Lightning and Weather. All of the main Elementals can also do these things and on a bigger scale.”

“So whoever is a main Elemental is really powerful?”

He nods. “Yes. We only have three at our school now. A Year Six girl and boy, twins.”

I tilt my head to the side. “Who’s the third?”

He clears his throat, obviously embarrassed. “Um… Me.” He breathes out.

I stare at him shocked, but then my mouth corners curve into bright smile. “Really? That’s awesome! What kind?”

He bobs his head up and down, acting as though the compliment wasn’t new. Although, it probably was, him being a main Elemental and all. “I'm a Fire Elemental.”

“Fire! That’s so cool! Can you show me? Please?” I beg. I had to see this.

He chuckles but places his hand out anyway. Immediately a tiny flame, like the one of a match, is in his palm, dancing around.

“So where is this school anyway?” I ask, not turning my eyes away from his hand as the fire in his hand slowly dies out.

“Actually, it’s in Salem, Massachusetts.”                       

I laugh. “Wow mom, nice job being subtle, picking out a town, named after the town that she was supposed to be keeping me from.” I say, more to myself, but Gryphon laughs anyway.

“So how do you like this school?” I ask, continuing the line of questions.

“It’s called the LEWWA, or Luca Elemental Witchcraft and Wizardry Academy.” He corrects politely. “And it’s pretty awesome. Instead of boring subjects like math and science, we do Control, Elemental History, which is more fun than it sounds,” He added before continuing. “There's also Defense and Offense and Battle, which every student goes to at the end of the day. It’s basically two students from the same grade battle it out until one of the students gets the other persons flag, which the opponent was guarding. It’s quite fun.” He says, his whole face breaking into a smile. I smile along with him, before it was interrupted by a loud yawn.

Gryphon chuckles. “You should be going to sleep, you look tired.”\

I don’t disagree as I slowly drift off to sleep.

-_-__-_-__-_-__-__                                                                                         

A burning pain was searing through my retina as Gryphon woke me up at a gas station, about twenty minutes from Salem, or that’s what he told me. The pain shoots through, my eyes again, making me realize why. Great I accidently slept in my contacts.

“Shit!” I whisper, quickly unbuckling my seat and rushing into the convenience store by the gas station. I heard Gryphon calling me by I kept running, all the way to the bathroom. By the time I got to the bathroom, the pain increased and I was fumbling to get them out. Once they were on a paper towel on the sink, I splashed some cool water into my face, making the irritation lessen.

I look around the grimy bathroom, finally seeing clearer. A dirty marble sink with watery soap in its bottle. A broken paper towel rack was next to me, with the hard tannish paper towel roll on top. The toilet was oddly clean and shiny, compared with the greasy pale blue walls. It was a typical gas station bathroom.

I turn back to the mirror, looking at my weird eyes. When I was about ten or so, people really started to see my eyes as unique and odd, so my mom made me wear contacts. Everyone has forgotten my original eye color, thinking that they're a sea blue, and only my mom and stepdad remember my rare color, because they see it each night. They used to call me “freak” and “weirdo” when I was younger, and while that weren’t the worse they could say to me, it still hurt. Before my mom got depressed and drank, she said I looked exactly like my dad, especially my eyes. She said that my eyes meant that I was powerful. Back then, I didn’t know what she meant, but now I guess it meant I was a witch.

The sound of a frantic knock shook me from my memories. Gryphon was on the other side of the door, calling me out.

“I’ll be out in a minute sorry!”  I call back. I hear him breath out a sigh of relief, probably because he thought I was dying or something. I study the contacts, trying to make a decision, should I show him or not? I admit, I was scared. What if he saw me as a freak and just left me here, or worse, back to Little Salem. What if he stopped being my friend after?

Relax I thought, even though my mind was reeling, just tell him, the sooner he knows, the better. I sigh, but stand up straighter. I should do this. I need to do this. Grabbing the paper towel with my contacts, I slowly walked over to the door. As I pull it open, I squeeze my eyes shut.

“Serena? Are you ok?” I feel a hand on my shoulder, Gryphon's.

“C-Can I show you something?” I whisper, shaking slightly. Am I really doing this?

“Of course.” He answers, shaking a little, from anxiety.

“Don’t like, go crazy and freak out ok? I have really never shown anyone besides my mom and stepdad.”

I take a deep breath, before opening my eyelids and watching Gryphon's awed expression as he stares into my purple colored eyes.