Chapter [29]

Andre Wester

I drove straight to school the next morning, Cass had sent me a text saying she would get a ride with Kelly – something to do with ‘girl stuff’. I had grimaced and asked her not to elaborate.

Whilst parking, I contemplated what had happened. Cass had told me she loved me, she I had confirmed she felt the same way but a nagging feeling absorbed my memory. I’d never asked her properly about the whole ‘Jase’ thing. Was she really going to see him? I scolded myself quickly, Jase was always going to have some part in her life – I couldn’t prevent her from communicating with him. Feeling guilty, I shook my head. I trusted her, I just thought this whole thing – her being mine – was too good to be true.

Somehow, I knew Cass was meant for me and it sure wasn’t my efforts that had won her, someone up there was looking out for me. Enough of this, I was going to treat Cass like the diamond she was.

I grabbed my gym bag from the car trunk lazily, physical fitness was our first lesson and I was prepared to run tracka and lift weights. Coach Jefferson was a man who absolutely hated tardiness but grinning, I decided I would borrow a few minutes to see my girl.

As the bell went, the halls were clearing, students were now moving to their first classes. I searched for Cassandra but didn’t spot her amongst her usual group. Quickly recognizing Kelly’s blonde hair, I walked over.

“Have you seen Cass?”

“Well good-morning to you too, sunshine.” Kelly said with a heavily sarcastic tone as she looked me up and down.

Frustrated, I rolled my eyes. “Kelly, are you hormonal 24/7 – you’re just so cranky every time I see you.” This earned a few snickers from the surrounding girls who had now paused all conversation.

“I could be,” She said thoughtfully. “Or maybe it’s just you?” She shot.

I sighed, almost giving up. “Could you help me please? I can’t find her.”

She pointed a slender finger, “She went that-a-way mate.” Following her indication, I spotted the large blue gym doors.

“Oh, she went to gym?” I asked, surprised. Gym wasn’t her first period today.

Kelly shrugged, “I think so.”

“Cool, I’m headed there.” I began to walk off but turned around flashing Kelly a cheesy grin. “Thanks.”

She waved her hand detachedly, “Whatever Wester.”

I strolled towards the gym doors whistling cheerfully, as I pushed the doors open. The air left my lungs, as the scene before me ripped my heart out and crushed it.

Cassandra Mc’Connell  -ealier that morning.

Kelly and I arrived at school in hysterics, whenever Kelly was around, she always did something that would start fits of laughter, she was like a sister.

“Girl, you glowing.” She teased.

“What?” I looked at my chalky skin, I had always been pale. “I don’t think it’s possible for a human to ‘glow’.”

Kelly rolled her eyes, “I mean the after-sex glow, you’ve got it.” Blushing, I shoved her playfully. “Whatever he did to you, he did good.” She said, dragging the word ‘good’.

“Shut-up Kelly.” I looked at her sideways. I really didn’t want my business spread around school, now that would be awkward.

“Not my fault that there’s physical evidence that you enjoyed your horizontal-jogging session with Andre.” She grinned, laughing again.