Chapter [34]

- not edited/proof-read. it might be terrible. o_o

Cassandra Mc’Connell

“He’s right again.” Kelly spoke. “Crying all day and barely eating isn’t helping your baby. If you won’t do it for us – do it for the little girl or boy inside you.”

I started fidgeting nervously; I didn’t want to tell my mom. If I had my way, I would keep telling myself ‘not yet’ until the baby popped out right infront of her – but it was now or never. But I was distracted by what Kelly had just said, - ‘The little girl or boy inside you.’

Itsurprised me a bit. I knew there was a life I was responsible for now, it wasn’t just my own.

Unconsciously, I had closed my eyes. I opened them slowly when I heard the bed dip and a warm, strong had slip into mine.  “I’ll come if you want.”

I let a small smile show as I sat up. “Thanks Jase, that’d help.”

“Like I said. I’m always here; you just have to let me help.”

Kelly made a gagging noise in the corner and I rolled my eyes. “Better sooner than later, get moving guys.” She pointed at the door.

Jase looked at her skeptically. “You’re not coming?”

“I don’t wanna ruin the moment.” Jase scoffed loudly, signally his disbelief. “Okay, so at this point in time Cass’s mum likes me. I’m her ‘cute little blonde’, I mean, she even gave me a slice of her carrot cake the other day. I wanna stay on her good side.” Kelly blurted.

I shook my head. “Thanks, you just made me feel a lot better.”

“Very welcome, doll.” Kelly blew a kiss at me.

I pulled Jase’s hand signaling I was ready, taking a few breaths I walked towards the door.

~*~

I could hear my heart pumping in my ears, a feeling I only ever felt when I was scared.

“You’ll be fine.” Jase whispered.

As we entered the kitchen, my fluffy slippers scuffed against the shiny, cold tiles. “Hey, mom?”

She reacted with surprise at my voice.  Dropping the pan she was washing, she turned around. I swallowed slowly, feeling as if the temperature in the room was rising incredibly quickly. “Hey baby.” She smiled, “Good to see you up.”

I felt myself beginning to relax, my mom had that effect. “I can’t imagine what I look like.” I laughed a little.

“Beautiful as always. You take after your mother.” She grinned and cheerfully turned to scan the wall cupboards. “Did you come down for dinner?”

“Mo–”

“Don’t worry, Jase and your cute little friend can say, we’ve got more than enough!” She babbled on.

“Mo–” I tried again, but she cut me off.

 “Pot noodles, pasta, I think there’s some tur–”

“Mom, I need to tell you something.” I breathed.

I watched as she turned, slowly. “–key.” She finished her word. Her eyes focused on my face and she studied me intently before looking away. “You’re pregnant.” I held in the weak gasp that threatened to break free from my lips. My mothers’ eyes dwelt on my stomach, then drifted towards Jase’s hand which was by now, tightly clasped around mine. Almost immediately, her eyes flickered up and bore into Jase’s. “I didn’t think–” She broke off and looked away, unable to speak. “It’s yours.” She finally said, looking at him once again.

As if synchronized Jase and I jumped apart whilst muttering objections. My mom had gotten the wrong idea, it wasn’t Jase’s. He was looking down, but I could see the light flush covering his cheeks.

“Mom?” I attempted to reconcile.

“I didn’t want to believe it at first.” Her voice shook, the sound broke my heart. “I wanted to know I’d raised my daughter the best I could, hoping she wouldn’t make the same mistake as I did. I looked down. I knew exactly what she was talking about. She’d had me young. She’d always said she’d never regret having me, but the timing was all wrong. "Then I realised the constant tears, you were emotionally-drained. The weird toppings on your pizza, even though you've always been a pepperoni girl. Then I head you retching after you'd said you felt better. That was the last signal." She shook her head. "How are you going to cope, Cass? I mean, you’ve got school to focus on, a baby is the last thing you need.”

I gulped, squeezing Jase’s hand and staring numbly at the floor. “Mom, I’m keeping it.”

My mother raised her eyebrows, “Cassandra Mc’Connell.” She called. “Look at me when I’m speaking to you.” I looked up slowly. “Of course you are.” She said sternly. “Right time or not, that baby is my grand-son or daughter.” I nodded. “Now you’ve got to take responsibility, this isn’t a joke, Cassandra.”

I know. I wanted to say, but I kept completely silent.

She let out a heavy breath, whilst rubbing her hands over face wearily. After this, she pulled a chair out and patted it signaling for me to sit down. I did as she asked, leaving Jase who watched from his position by the fridge. “First things first, who’s the father?”

Jason Rogers

I watched as Cass explained, animatedly. She stumbled on a few words, before finally making her point. Gina’s eyes widened when she mentioned Andre and mumbled that it was his – I assumed she had met him before.

“Well is he going to take any responsibility for this?” Gina demanded, after hearing quite enough.

Cass, looked away. “He doesn’t know.” Came a voice, from behind. All the heads in the room swiveled to face Kelly, who had just walked in.

Just as quickly, Gina looked back at Cass. “He doesn’t know?!” She said tightly.

“Gina,” Kelly began with confidence, speaking on behalf of Cass. “It’s complicated.”

“So, you know the whole story?” She challenged.

Kelly stood her ground. “Yeah, you could say that. And before you over-react put yourself in Cass’s position. She thinks the world of you, Gina. How do you tell your mom you’ve messed up big-time? How do you look her in the eyes and tell her you’re pregnant? It's not just her situation, it's the rest of this big mess. I know I'd never be able to do something like this. I couldn't look my dad in the eye.” 

Silence engulfed the room. After a moment Cass’s mom spoke. “I have a good mind to tell you to leave my house, young lady.” Kelly simply nodded and began to walk away with a slight dignity. She knew she'd said something she'd wanted to say for a while. Gina smiled, slightly, taking both Cass and I – who could still see her – by surprise. “But I see something in you that I saw in myself at your age. If you’ve supported my daughter all this time, then you’re more than a friend, my dear.”

Shyly, Kelly smiled back.

Cassandra Mc’Connell

Three things were settled that night:

One: I was having a baby.

Two: I had to go back to school.

And finally, three: the thing I called 'my life' was changing and fast.

♡☉♡☉♡

A little upload there for you, I'm a bit rusty haha. :)

If you're still reading, thankyou so much.

I realised like 2 days ago it'd been a whole month since I uploaded!  

Shameful, really.

But I hope you enjoy this filler, thingy chapter. I don't know what it is, tbh.

Till the next chapter!

 COMMENT&VOTE. ♡