Chapter [35]

Cassandra Mc’Connell

I pulled the comforting chiffon material down over my head. Running my gaze over the crystal clear reflection before me, I nodded slowly in satisfaction. The top was a cute shade of yellow, with no sleeves. Apart from its overall appearance, it was designed with a high waist band which meant that the material that covered my lower torso wasn’t unnecessarily clingy – perfect.

Matched with a pair of black skinny jeans and plain canvas shoes, I was pretty much ready.

Today, I went back to school. To my surprise, no thoughts whirled through my mind. It was as if I was momentarily on pause. The past few days had provided more than enough time for me to think about the obvious fears of going back to school.

There was no going back now, Kelly and Jase had made sure of that. For moral support, each had agreed to chauffer me to school for at least the first week – today was Kelly’s turn. I had managed to take a bite of toast before Kelly’s shrill horn sounded from outside. I didn’t mind not eating; at this rate I wouldn’t be able to keep it down.

“Babe,” Kelly said with a comical expression as I walked towards the car. “You look hot, no doubt about it but–”

“I know, I know.” I stopped Kelly midsentence, I knew exactly what she was going to say because I’d tried to convince myself of the same thing. From what I’d read, most women started to show in their second trimester, between four and six months, I had just hit one.

In my head, I knew the top was completely unnecessary and was bordering on paranoia but it acted as my comfort zone and I was determined to keep my secret a secret for as long as possible.

“Well, whatever makes you happy, I guess – as long as you’re at school.” Kelly shrugged, ending the conversation and getting into the car.

Grimacing, I mirrored her movements getting in on the passenger side. “You sound just like my mother.”

Kelly flicked her bouncy, blonde curls backwards and pressed a pair of chanel sunglasses onto her face, laughing. “Great minds think alike?” We pulled into the main road. “Did you manage to eat?”

“Yeah.” I lied casually. Butterflies had already began to stir in my stomach, in fifteen minutes we’d be at the exact place I’d chosen to hide from.

Stealing a quick glance to the left, I saw a perfectly threaded eyebrow shoot up from behind Kelly’s ostentatious sunglasses. “You don’t sound so sure, check my purse.” She directed with a nod of her head.

Obediently, I opened her purse. “Oat bars?” I said puzzled.

“3% saturated fat, 5.4% carbs. Eat.” She commanded. Cocking her head to the side, she thought aloud. “Though I suppose you need the carbs, you’ll be as thin as a scarecrow the way you carry on.”

Rolling my eyes, I ripped open the shiny green wrapper that encased the bar. I took a quiet  bite off and swallowed. If this shut her up, it was worth it.

 A familiar honey taste filled my mouth followed by the crunchy texture, I munched happily breaking off the next piece to follow my first bite.

“Right,” Kelly flipped open her iPad and placed it on her lap whilst somehow managing to steer the car at the same time. “Your first class is English with Mr Taylor.” I groaned. English wasn’t exactly the most interesting subject, ignoring my obvious complaint, Kelly continued, “Your timetable’s pretty much the same, just get through the day and you’ll be fine.” As simple as a statement it was, we both knew what she was talking about. Today was Monday – Andre was in most of my classes. I looked straight ahead sternly, nothing would happen; my job was to act normal, four months from now and I’d be out of school anyway.

~*~

I grabbed my books carefully and shut my locker. The usual stares and hushed whispers were scarce today, most people had heard about the ‘food-poisoning’ and just thought I was ill for the weeks I’d been off.

The shrill bell rang and I gulped. Neither Kelly nor Jase were in my class which meant I was by myself for first period. From the hallway, I could hear Mr Taylor’s droning voice, “Take your seats and open your textbooks to page 156.”

I walked in hurriedly in an effort not to be late. “Ah Miss Mc’Connell,” Mr Taylor boomed, “Nice of you to join us.” At the mention of my name, a pair of electric blue eyes flickered upwards in surprise. That simple action alone turned my knees into jelly.

In that second, I held his gaze and to my relief a voice interrupted us. “Miss Mc’Connell, I do believe there’s a spare seat at the far back.” I scanned the room and the realization dawned. The free seat was next to Andre. In a desperate panic, I looked across the room for another seat. I knew he was watching me but I couldn’t bring myself to observe his reaction. “Before Christmas, Miss Mc’Connell?” Mr Taylor said dryly.

I cursed under my breath, I was stuck; there were no free seats whatsoever. Quietly, I walked towards to back of the class room avoiding eye-contact with Andre. The class seemed less than aware of the awkward tension in the room, they chatted on lightly until Mr Taylor quieted them down.

I took my seat, distancing myself from him as much as possible – more for my benefit than for his. “Right, I want you to read the text at the top of the page and feed back in five minutes.” Mr Taylor instructed.

I set my books on the desk in my usual manner, opening my textbook. Andre cleared his throat, I froze but ignored the sound.

“Er, I forgot my text book.” He paused, obviously unimpressed with himself. “You mind sharing?” His tone was free of emotion, as if there was no history between us, we were just students who happened to go to the same school.

I nodded and he leaned over, gently pulling the text book towards the middle of the desk. Simultaneously, the hairs on my arms prickled, causing a tingling sensation. I let out a low breath; mentally, I wanted to hate him, emotionally I couldn’t, physically I had no control over. Could I really take four months of this?

Andre Wester

She shuffled towards the back of the classroom, avoiding my gaze. Silently, she took her seat, arranging her belongings neatly and siding her trademark fringe bag off her shoulder. It made a light thud on the linoleum floor.

“Right, I want you to read the text at the top of the page and feed back in five minutes.”

She shuffled away slightly, a feeling of deflation washed quickly over me, she despised me already.

I knew I needed to distract myself as soon as possible so I reached for my text book. It wasn’t on the desk along with the exercise book. Internally, I groaned, Mr Taylor wasn’t one to stand for nonsense and forgetting my book wouldn’t be tolerated.

Glancing over, I watched Cass and she read quietly. She was leaning forward, so much so that a strand of hair shadowed her from me. I cleared my throat, creepish staring wouldn’t get me a text book. Taking a silent breath, I began. “Er, I forgot my text book.” Inwardly, I cursed – great start, not. “You mind sharing?” I tried to ask as lightly as possible.

Without even looking at me, she nodded simply. In my head, I pictured her green, almost luminous eyes that I’d been deprived of for so long, the ones I had to quickly forget about. Reaching out, I pulled the book between us and shifted slightly for a better view.

Not up to a minute after, she leaned down pulling out her notepad and placed it on the desk to make notes.

I knew working with Cass for the semester was going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life but I didn't know watching her get over what had happened would hurt too.

Not only does absence make the heart grow fonder but their presence seems to have the same effect.

♡☉♡☉♡

So here's a LONG and I mean LONG awaited chapter. I really had to think this one through actually. I haven't written for so long! But I do miss it :'l 

Anyone wanna blow up my school? Much appreciated, thanks. <3 

PS: COMMENT/VOTE :)