Chapter [36]

Thankyou to Miles11011 for making me this gorgeous banner! :')  ___________________________________________________________

 Cassandra Mc’Connell  

And then it was tomorrow.

The shrill bell rang like it did every day and once again students filled the halls. Today, I walked side by side with Jase, clutching my books to my chest.

“Here, let me hold that.” Jase held his arm out towards the books I was holding.

I looked at him like he was smoking Skittles and lowered my voice, “I’m pregnant, not disabled Jase.”

He blushed slightly, “I was just trying to help.”

I laughed and lightly patted his arm to show my appreciation. He was just being Jase, he didn’t know any other way. “I know, I know.” We headed towards the lunch hall, supposedly where Kelly was – the plan was to eat lunch together, like old times.

It wasn’t hard to spot Kelly once we got inside, she was the one making the most noise surrounded by a group of chattering girls. She spotted us and waved a newly manicured hand, excitedly. I smiled back. She said her ‘good-bye’s’ and excused herself from the group, quickly joining Jase and I.

“So, how are you?” She asked, linking her arm in mine.

“I’m fine.” I answered, I was okay. “I’d be better if people stopped asking me that question.” I rolled my eyes.

“Stop complaining, you grump. It’s only because I care.” Kelly said dramatically, as usual.

We took our seats, a central four-seater table that hadn’t yet been occupied. Jase dropped his bag and plonked himself down next to me whilst Kelly sat opposite placing her tote purse on the blue chair next to her. “Yeah, yeah. Do you by any chance care enough to lend me another cereal bar?” I batted my eyelashes.

Lend you?” She asked incredulously, “Well, it’s not like you’re going to give it back, are you?” Reaching into her purse, she passed me two, they slid towards me in their shiny, green wrappers. I smiled gratefully. “Just make sure you get some hot food too.”

“Isn’t that like the fifth one you’ve had today?” Jase asked, watching me as I opened the first one and wolfed it down. He was clearly amused.

“So?” I said, trying to balance talking and not spraying out oat cereal bar crumbs everywhere.

“You’re craving them.” He said matter-of-factly, grinning.

Kelly let out a giggle, “Jasey-boy here has got a point.”

Jase shot Kelly a flat look before looking back at me. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said defiantly, I swallowed the bite I’d just took. “They’re nice cereal bars is all.”

Kelly and Jase, both began laughing. I put the half-eaten bar and its pair in my bag before crossing my arms. “Guys, I really don’t get the joke.”

Jase stood up, “Of course not, you’re the subject of it. I’m going to get some food.”

Kelly stood up too, “I second that, I’ll bring you back a plate Cass, try not to start eating the table or something.”

They both walked off, headed towards the queue for food. I shot daggers at their back before sneaking a quick bite of the bar from my bag. I wasn’t craving anything; I’d just taken a liking to the bars. I leaned in for another bite but what I saw across the canteen stopped me in my tracks and made my stomach churn.