Chapter [15]

✤ Cassandra Mc’Connell ✤

I slipped my hand out of his. This motion seemed to jolt him back to life and he focused on my eyes slowly. The look said it all.

"Cass."

"Don't make this harder than it is Jase." My voice was hoarse, and even though I knew the truth, the pain that ripped through my chest was indescribable.

The ones closest are the ones that hurt the most.

"Cass, look at me." He titled my chin up, and I jolted away at his touch. "I would never hurt you on purpose. It was a stupid mistake ok?"

I took a deep breath. "Jase. I'm not going to hold a grudge." An expression of relief washed over his face. "But I don't think I want to see you either." His expression dropped into one of hurt and panic. "I think it's best we don't.. talk." 

He opened his mouth in protest, but I turned and ran. I guess it was something I was used to doing in this town. 

-

Scolding myself at the tears that  threatened to fall, I chucked whatever I could into a small suitcase. 

"Are you sure you wanna do this baby?" My mother's voice came soft and caring from behind me. I knew she was worried, but she'd respected my decision and didn't ask for reasons even thought I could tell she was bursting to ask questions.

"Yeah Mom," I said fraily. "The school there are doing a transfer with ours. I'm going there, another student is coming here." 

"If you say so honey. It's a month transfer right?" 

"Yeah." I felt bad lying to my Mom, but I figured, once I got there she wouldn't be able to make me come back. She walked out, nodding and I heard her footsteps retreating down the stairs. She was probably going to talk with the taxi driver and knowing my Mom, she would get his licsense plate number so I wasn't kidnapped by a lunatic. I smiled sadly thinking about it all, but it was a decsion I'd made. 

"Ok," I said to myself, "Ready to go." I zipped the suitcase and looked around my room. It looked incredibly bare now. The only thing left standing was the photo frame of me and Jase. About 6 years old, we'd both lost our front teeth and held each other tightly as we grinned goofily at the camera. I stared at it for a while, contemplating whether to take it or not.

Not. 

I grabbed the frame and hurled it out of the window. I heard the smash as it broke into a million pieces.

All good things must come to an end right?

Dragging my suitcase down the stairs, I met my Mom still talking to the taxi driver.

"Hey Mom, I'm ready." She turned around tearful, but smiling.

"Be safe honey, remember to call me.." She hugged me tighly, rubbing her back just like she used to when I was little.

"I will Mom, I promise, I will." I hugged her back thinking of the time I'd next get to hug her like this again. The driver had already put my suitcase into the boot and as she released me, I sighed. Slowly, I walked towards the door and got in. 

Do you really need to do this?

Yes, was my answer. There was way too much history here. The engine started and I wave slowly at my Mom, she waved back smiling and as we turned the corner, she made 'call me' signs. I mouthed, I love you and she did the same. 

-

The car cruised down the highway, occasionally I felt a bump as we went over a pothole. I had no idea how long we'd been driving for, but I knew we were certainly close. Running my hand through my hair, I yawned tiredly. My phone beeped and I looked across at it. 

17 new messages

11 missed calls

"Your a popular gal, ain'tcha." The driver's voice boomed from the front seats. "That's phone been going for a while now!"

"I guess you could say that.." I replied. 

I looked at the lists of messages. 

JaseJaseJaseKellyJaseJase, MomJase, Kelly, Jase, Jase, Jase, KellyJase, Jase, Jase. 

I opened Kelly's messages;

Transfer student really?! You can't go! Cass, you're overexaggerating! 

Please come back Cass? :(

We're all worried, just say you're ok!

I gave in calling her back and she picked up after the second ring.

"Cass! Where the hell are you?!" Her voice came sharp and hysterical through the phone.

"I'm fine. I'm on the way."

"To where! Everyone's so worried about you even-"

"Kells, I'm not coming back. I need to think this through."

"What?! Cass, you have to! I didn't mean it!" Jase's voice came through. 

Kelly had the phone on speaker. I stayed silent, getting the pleading tone in Jase's voice out of my head.

"Cass?" Kelly sounded worried.

"I'm fine okay?" I ended the call abruptly.

✣ Jason Rogers ✣

"I'm fine okay?" Then the phone cut. Kelly had put the phone on loudspeaker, probably to guilt trip me, well it'd worked. I'd tried to grab the phone, to convince Cass, to tell her it was ok. But Kelly had shot me a warning glare on all my attempts and I knew exactly what she was saying.

All of this was my fault, Cass had gone and no one knew when she was coming back.  

"What were you even thinking. Were you think at all?!" Kelly glared at me again. "Did you think of what it would do to her?! The one person she has any trust in, lets her down completely. Oh and thanks, now she probably won't call back if she knows you're listening in." The tone of her voice was one of complete digust.

I groaned, it was enough me torturing myself, but hearing it from Kelly made things alot worse. No amount of reasoning, or explaining would be enough. 

"I'm sorry." 

"I'm not the one who needs an apology Jason." Shouldering her bag, she intentionally shoved past me and walked down the road. Leaning against the gates, I clenched my fists. 

I'm sorry Cass. I really am. Please come back..

"Great job Jason." He didn't make eye-contact or stop as he walked by. Andre shoved his hands in his pockets and walked away looking grim, he probably already knew. I clenched my fists tighter, refraining myself from landing a punch.

It was hopeless. No matter how many times I called, she wouldn't pick up. No matter how many times I texted, she wouldn't reply.

I'd lost her.

♡☉♡☉♡ 

A/N; UPLOADDDDEDDD :) Whaddya think? Thankyou to every who's reading, comemnting, voting and liking already! I really appreciate it! COMMENT&VOTE!