Chapter 20

January 2011

The past few months had flown by and before we knew it, it was christmas then the new year. I hadn't really went out much after the doctor told I could because I was getting bigger and my back was starting to hurt more and more. 

Today, on the other hand, was Connor's first birthday and close friends and family were coming round to celebrate it. 

I sat up in bed and looked over at Joe who stood buttoning up his shirt in front of the mirror. 

"Why don't you come down and just sit with everyone?" He said, turning round to face me. 

"Because I can barley move!" I shouted. 

"Okay..." He nodded, walking over to the bed and sitting down. 

"Sorry," I apologised while looking at him. "I'm just...I'm really tired and my back and legs are starting to hurt. I would go down but I'm in pain." 

"I know you are. It just won't be the same without you down there. He's your son too, you know." He took my hand in his and ran a single finger over my knuckles. 

I leaned back against the pillows and headboard. "I know and I want to go down. I just can't because if I move, I'll just be in more pain than I already am." 

"I'll come and check on you when I'm not talking to anyone," he assured, leaning over and giving me a brief kiss. 

"Don't feel like you have to come up and see me." He stood up and straightened his shirt out. "If you look at your reflection in that mirror one more time, I will find myself throwing the thing at you." 

He laughed then walked out the room. I reached over for my iPad and started to play games on it again.

Joe's POV

I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen where my parents were sitting with Connor. I smiled at them and went to get a drink. 

"Is Mia not coming down?" My mum asked. 

"No, she's not," I answered, taking a sip from the bottle of water I had in my hand. 

"Why? It's her sons first birthday," she continued. 

"Mum, she's pregnant with twins. Her back and legs are starting to hurt more now and I'm not going to have her in pain when it could all just be avoided." 

"She's going to be all alone up-" She started. 

"Mum! Leave it, it's all sorted." I snapped, walking over to take Connor from her. 

There was a knock at the front door and I walked out into the hall to answer it with Connor on my side. I opened the door. 

"There's the birthday boy!" Roshien beamed, holding her hands out to take Connor before she came into the house. 

"Well, hello to you too," I greeted as she walked past me with Connor now in her arms. 

I looked out to the driveway and noticed that there was more cars coming up the driveway, so I left the front door open. I stood just outside of the front door and looked at Chad pull up in his car. I walked over to him as he got out. 

"Tell me you haven't..." I started before the passenger door opened and Kim got out. 

"I'm only here for my nephew," he explained as Kim came round to him and took his hand in hers. 

"Come on, baby. I want a drink," she said, pushing past me and into the house. 

"What the hell is she doing here?" I heard Anna ask.