Chapter 23

Draco's POV

That night, I was just beginning to get over my cold, and was settling down in my bedroom, Snowflake twisting around my ankles as I pulled on a plain grey t-shirt. When I was finished I flicked off the light and scooped up the white feline, her fur tickling my nose as I climbed into bed, pulling the covers up.

Snowflake wasn't quite ready to settle down, though. She padded down the bed and leaped on to the floor with a soft thump, finding her way across the carpet and into the hallway. I watched as she slipped into Harry's room, obviously attracted to the warm light seeping into the darkness. Feeling the tiniest bit rejected, I shook my head and closed my eyes, deciding to let it go.

That was, until I heard the creaking floorboards in the room across the floor. Harry was standing in my doorway awkwardly, cradling the kitten in his arm. "Do you want her to sleep in your room?"

I nodded. "Sure. I've always kind of liked the idea of a pet that sorta curls up next to you in bed."

He walked towards me and lowered the feline down towards my bed, where she curled up into my side. I grinned up at him. "Goodnight, Harry."

"'Night, Draco."

He left the room, and I shut my eyes once again... until there was the absense of warmth from my side. I squinted into the darkness in time to see a white shape disappear into Harry's room for the second time that night. This time, I rolled out of bed and followed her, not wanting Harry to have to get up again.

I stopped in his doorway. He hadn't noticed Snowflake enter and was seated in a comfortable-looking armchair in the corner, focused on the book in his hand. The light from his lamp washed over him as he smiled at something in the book. The kitten, meanwhile, had found her place on Harry's pillow and was purring contentedly.

"I think she likes your bed better than mine."

He looked up at me. "Huh? Oh. Uh... sorry"

I laughed softly. "No, it's fine. If she likes it better in here, let her stay. I think I just kind of liked the cliché of having a pet sleep at your feet or whatever."

I said goodnight (again) and turned to leave, but after a second Harry was out after me, closing his door just the tiniest bit. "Er, Draco?"

"Yeah?" I asked, confused.

"Uh, if you wanted... you could, um. Stay in here? That way you'd get to have the whole pet thing without her leaving. Uh, nothing sexual or anything. Just sleeping."

"Are you sure?" This was more than I had expected, but it was extremely tempting.

He nodded. "It's all kinda sudden considering we just started dating amd all, so if you don't want to that's fine."

"I'm fine with it if you are." Way more than fine with it, to be honest.

"I suggested it, remember?" he said, but his eyes were lit with happiness. "My bed's big enough, though you might want to get a pillow."

"Good idea." I grinned at him and was back with a pillow seconds later.

And that's how we started sharing a bed. 

Pillow talk with Harry was highly amusing. We would usually start off with stories from Hogwarts, trading stories about practical jokes and talking about how much we both missed our respective houses. Then we would move on to how this arrangement was beneficial for us. It was usually at this point that Harry would start drifting off, but it was obvious he wanted to stay up to talk, and was trying his hardest not to fall asleep. From here it was only a matter of moments until his eyes would fall shut and his breathing would even out. I got used to falling asleep while watching his calm and peaceful expression.