Chapter 19

Draco's POV

I loved muggle Christmases.

Actually, it might not be the muggle part. It might just be the fact that I was living with the guy I liked (though he didn't know it), but I figured that either way, this was going to be the best Christmas of my life. I had bought Harry's present before December had even begun: a broomstick. 

I know, I know. Anyone would buy that for Harry, once they knew that he was the Seeker of the Gryffindor Quidditch Team, and it was kind of a typical present. Okay, well, maybe not anyone would buy it for him: broomsticks were pretty expensive, even if you get one of the older models. Still, it was a pretty cliche gift to a Quidditch player, but I knew him better now. It was his favourite sport in the world, and he was amazing at it. I could see him becoming a professional player, if he didn't become an auror.

The timing was perfect. The Nimbus 3500 had just been released in early November, and it was by far the best broom I had ever seen in my life. I had been able to sneak back to Diagon Alley early one morning, before most of the Wizarding World got up, so nobody recognized me. 

The wrapping part was tricky. I had chosen this shimmery red and gold paper, but everytime I tried to wrap it around the broom it crinkled and tore. I gave up after my fifth attempt, and instead used my wand to make it smooth. I didn't put it under our Christmas tree, because it was a pretty unusual shape and it wouldn't take Harry long to guess that it was a broom. So I put it at the back of my closet and arranged the clothes so that it wasn't visible, even if he happened to look in there.

Finally Christmas Eve came around. We spent the night doing our best to cook a traditional dinner, but the turkey ended up mostly burnt. Fortunately, we were able to pick off the charred pieces and the rest of the bird was intact, so it ended up being an okay meal after all.

Then, Christmas Day. I woke up to Harry jumping on my bed. "Draco! It's Christmas!"

The sight of him so worked up about it brought a fond smile to my face. I rolled over and laughed into my pillow. "I got that, thanks Harry."

"I made breakfast," he grinned. "Obviously I couldn't leave it to you."

It was true. I hadn't improved my skills at making any kind of breakfast since the summer, in fact, I had gotten steadily worse. I usually left that meal to Harry.

I woke up enough to crawl out of bed and follow him down the stairs into the kitchen. Sure enough, there was fresh breakfast waiting on the table. I raised my eyebrows. "It's only 7:45, Harry, and you've already gotten ready and made breakfast. Why were you up so early?"

"It's Christmas!"

I grinned and speared one of the french toasts off of the platter. "I am aware."

"C'mon, Draco, aren't you excited?"

I was, but I tried not to show it. Wiping the smile off of my face, I shrugged. "I don't know, I guess I just don't like all the hype about it. Who cares? It's just a holiday."

He punched me on the shoulder. "Please. You're the one who decorated the entire house a month before."

Laughing, I hit him back gently. "Okay, maybe I'm a little bit excited."

He scoffed and began loading his breakfast into his mouth. I did the same, and less than half an hour later we were done with the meal.

"Present time!" I ran to the living room, and grabbed the wrapped broomstick from underneath the tree, where I had set it the night before.