Chapter 6

Harry's POV

I looked around my new room. It was very... bright. Yellow curtains, baby-blue, bed sheets, and lime green walls. It was a weird combination, but somehow it worked. Sighing, sat down on the bed and began pulling out my belongings and putting them away in the closet and drawers provided.

I didn't know exactly what to think about my predicament. Yes, I liked Draco, and had for a while... but did I really want to let him know that I did? Because it was going to be hard to hide it if I had to live with him for who knows how long. But I couldn't exactly leave, either; Hermione wouldn't be contacting me for a while, and this was the only place where she'd know I would be. If I left, I could lose one of my best friends.

After I had pulled out all my clothing and belongings, I stuck my entire arm down the bag and groped around for any small items that might have slipped out of my grasp before. My fingers brushed something small and heavy, sort of like a paperweight. Frowning, I pulled it out of the bag. It was a small figurine of a muggle's stereotypical idea of a witch; pointed black hat, long nose with a wart at the end, stringy black hair and eerie, green eyes. I had never seen it before in my life.

I turned it around in my hands, looking for some sort of clue for what it was. Finally I found what I was looking for. At the bottom of the figure, in tiny handwriting, there was a message written in gold ink. 'Harry-" it read, "This is a magical communication device. I enchanted it myself so that we are the only two people who can use it. All you have to do is speak to it, and I will be able to hear it. It's kind of like a phone, except more private. -Hermione"

I looked warily at the figurine, still unsure of how it worked. Nervously, I said "Hermione," and waited for some sort of answer.

The was a bit of rustling at the other end, and then... "Harry!" I could hear Hermione's breathless voice loud and clear, as if she was standing right next to me.

Wincing a bit, I glanced at my door, hoping that Draco didn't hear her. "Listen Hermione, I won't be able to communicate with you at all, alright?" I intended to stick with the deal of not contacting any of my friends and family, even if it meant not being able to speak to my long time best friend.

"What?" asked Hermione, sounding confused and a bit hurt. "Why?"

"I'm sorry, 'Mione. I just... can't. It's nothing personal."

"How do you expect to get any news from the wizarding world?" She asked.

"I don't know, Hermione, I just won't be able to talk to you for a while."

"What is this about? Are you mad at me?" she asked, and I could hear her getting a bit angry herself.

"No, Hermione, I just don't want to have to contact you..."

"You don't WANT to HAVE to contact me?"

I winced. That didn't come out right. "No! That's not what I-"

"I think it's exactly what you meant," she said, sounding furious. I could only imagine what she would do to me if she was here... probably send birds to attack me or some other punishment.

"It's not! I just can't-"

"You can't." Hermione's voice had gone scarily calm as she repeated my words.

"Yes, I can't. I promise I'll contact you as soon as I can, but right now... I just can't, okay?"

"How long?"

"What?"

"How long will it be until you will want to speak to me again?" she asked, still in that forced-calm voice.

I sighed. "I honestly don't know, Hermione. Probably... A couple years."

A pause, and then: "Years?"

"Yeah."

"Well, bye, then, Harry."

"Mione-" I began, but she had already cut the connection.

I stared at the silent figure in my hands for a couple seconds, and then whipped it across the room. It hit the closet and promptly broke in half. I fell back on my new bed unhappily and stared at the ceiling. I had no idea how I was going to survive living with my enemy/secret crush, especially now that I wasn't allowed to contact Hermione for advice. I could always go online to see whether there was any helpful information there, but I highly doubted there was an article called "How to Live With Your Enemy Who Also Happens to be Your Crush for Dummies".

After a few minutes, I forced myself to get off my bed and pick up the magical communication device, and repair it with magic. Then, I went back downstairs, ready to face Draco again.

Author's Note:

This update took FOREVER because I had writers block... And look how short it is. :( I'M SORRY!

I'm already working on the next chapter though, so (hopefully) it will be up soon.

~Raven~