Chapter 3

A/N: This chapter's actually really boring; it's just Draco learning about stuff and there's not a lot of actual dialogue. It's also kind of a filler, so you can skip over it if you want.

Draco's POV

I walked to the edge of the grounds of Hogwarts, so that I would be able to disapperate. During my walk, I began thinking about where I would be staying. There was no way that I was going to live with any of my family... besides, they'd probably all be going to Azkaban, anyways. And I certainly wouldn't be welcome in any wizard apartment or house; they'd all be terrified that I'd murder them in there sleep. That left only one option: I would have to venture out to the muggle world.

I smiled to myself. I had always kind of wanted to live near muggles, much to the disappointment of my father. They fascinated me; how could they possibly live without magic? If I had come from a different family, I probably would have just taken Muggle Studies in school to find out everything I wanted, but obviously that wasn't an option for me. My father would never even let me look at anything muggle-related.

So that would be my first step. I needed to do research. I apperated to Flourish and Blotts, right to the muggle-related section. To my surprise, nobody was working. Assuming that they were all at Hogwarts, I took two books (Living Among Muggles by Percival Fletcher and Muggle Artifacts: How They Work), leaving a few galleons on the table as payment. I then proceeded transform the cover of the books so that they had titles that Muggles would understand, so I wouldn't be asked questions.

I sat down in one of the chairs provided by the bookstore, and opened the book now labeled "The Owner's Manual to Your Honda", really "Muggle Artifacts: How They Work." I skipped the boring stuff about how electricity works, and got right down to how to use the objects muggles had. Looking at a diagram of a... light switch, I think it was called, I read the instructions on how to push the little switch down to turn on the light. I shook my head. If only muggles knew how easy it was for us wizards, who only had to wave their wand anytime they wanted something to happen.

I quickly went over how ovens, electricity plugs, phones, cars, and computers worked. They all seemed very complicated, and I was beginning to worry that I would cause a lot of trouble in the muggle world, by accidentally burning down a house while trying to use the oven, or trying to call a friend, but dialing the wrong number and calling the police. Sighing, I opened up the other book about living with muggles, hoping it would help me understand better.

First, it told me about muggle money. I looked at the pictures, and took out some money from my pocket. I transformed them into muggle money, and then tried to duplicate them, but nothing happened. Frowning, I tried to make more again, but nothing happened. Glancing back at the book, I read about how you could transform wizarding money to muggle money, but couldn't make more of it once you had it because of both governments' laws.

I quickly summoned some of my money from my parent's manor, and transformed that into muggle money as well. Then I counted it out, using the chart in the book to see how valuable it would be. Deducing that it would be enough to last me for at least a year, I stuck it in my robes and flipped the page.

The next couple of pages were all about muggle clothing. The only time I had been exposed to that kind of dress was when I had gone to the quiddich tournament in fourth year, but I had a feeling that the way my fellow wizards had been wearing those clothes wasn't proper. I examined the drawings of different materials and fabrics for a while and then once I decided that I knew it pretty well, continued reading the book until I had finished it.

Setting the book down beside me on the floor, I transfigured my robes into jeans and a t-shirt, and gathered my things. Once again, I disapperated, and arrived in a muggle mall. I bought a lot of muggle clothing and necessities, and when I was finally satisfied, I began walking around the city I was in, hoping to find some place to stay.

Luckily, I came across a place before dark, an old, brick building with a sign in the window that said available rooms, and then listed a phone number and a woman's name . Pulling out the new cellphone I had bought, I called the number, and an old scratchy voice answered.

"Hello?"

"Hi, is," I checked the sign, "Amanda Selkurt there?"

"Speaking."

"I'm calling about possibly living in one of your properties."

We spoke for a while, and finally came to an agreement on the price. I personally was pretty happy with the deal, and from what I could tell, Amanda was too.

"Well, you can move in as soon as you like. There's no other tenants there at the moment, but I'm still looking for someone to rent the other part of the building."

I thanked her, and walked into the house. It was locked, of course, but since I was obviously a wizard I just unlocked it and continued inside. It was actually quite cozy inside: a nice mix of deep reds, browns and golds, and comfortable furniture. I started a fire in the fireplace, and sat down in an armchair next to it.

Yep, I could definitely get used to this.

Sorry for how short it is!

Please vote and comment. :D

~Raven~