Chapter 11

Draco's POV

I had tried to stop Harry from seeing the article. I really did. I guess that I was just so relieved when he (seemed to) drop the subject of it, that I forgot about continuing to hide it. It was only when I was packing my bag upstairs when I realized that I had left the article downstairs, with Harry. I ran down the stairs to see whether any harm had been done, and I knew just from looking at his face that he had read it.

I had known that he would be upset if he found it. He wouldn't have wanted to know what one of his BEST FRIENDS told a well-read newspaper, or that the reporters would now be searching for him all over the world, just to get a new scoop on his story. I knew all that the second I first read the words myself, and I had done my best to save him from having to go through that.

But even I hadn't anticipated how much it would hurt him. His face now looked more upset than I had ever seen it at Hogwarts: even worse than during the final battle, when he was watching all his fellow Gryffindors and distant friends get ready to battle, knowing that he was the reason they were all there, the reason that they might die.

But this was one of his best friends announcing to the public that he didn't accept Harry for who he was, and that Harry was a 'freak' and that he deserves to die. I couldn't even imagine what that would feel like... especially because I didn't even have any real friends to begin with, let alone best friends. Crabbe and Goyle were more like my bodyguards, and the rest of the Slytherins were just too scared of me to become my friend.

"Why didn't you show me it?" Harry asked, calmly. He had hid the hurt in his face behind a smooth mask, and he was the image of calm.

"I," I started, and then stopped. I couldn't sympathise, because I didn't know exactly how it would feel, and I didn't understand what I could say that would make him feel better.

There was an awkward silence, a stifling uncomfortable silence that stretched on and on, while I tried to think of what to say.

Finally Harry spoke again, still using the fake-calm voice. "Well, you were mentioned in here a couple times. You should probably get out while you can, go back to the Wizarding World and Pansy Parkinson before the rumours get any worse."

"I, but," I said, a bit speechless. "Um, no. No! I'm not going back there."

Now it seems to be Harry who can't think of the right words. "But... it's your home."

"It's yours, too."

"Yeah, but I didn't grow up there. I don't have friends from my childhood there, like you do." he said.

"Neither do I!" I shook my head. "I only have followers, admirers, or people who are scared of me. I have no friends. You have loads of friends, and you aren't allowed to go back, so why is it fair that I am? I don't even like it there that much. I always had to work to please everyone; bully all the first years so I kept up my image, get at least average grades so I don't fail, and follow my parents' orders so I don't 'disgrace the name of Malfoy'.

"And you know what? I've liked living in the muggle world more than I did living in the Wizarding World. There's a bit more manual work, sure, but there's no pressure. So no, I'm not going back. I'm staying right here." I took a deep breath and looked over to gage his reaction.

"What about your girlfriend?" he said slowly, obviously trying to digest what I told him. "Don't you miss her?"

"She's not my girlfriend," I sighed, thinking of Pansy and her pug-like face. "We broke up years ago."

"Okay, fine. So you don't want to go back. But why stay with me? I can't be seen by any witches or wizards, and if you stay with me, you'll be associated with me, and can be followed back to me. So you wouldn't be able to go out in public often."

"Well what are you going to do? Just stay here by yourself, locked inside, doing what? You won't have anyone to talk to."

"I can read, or watch TV." he answered stubbornly.

"And how long do you think you'll last doing that?" I asked, frustrated. "Even the most introverted people want social interaction sometimes... And you're not even an introvert."

"Neither are you, and you don't even like me! You've made fun of me and my friends ever since first year!"

"You made fun of me first! 'I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself', was it?"

"I can't believe you still remember that." he muttered, his cheeks reddening.

"Yeah, well, I do," I said.

"You really want to stay with me? It could be years, you know."

Good. He was cracking. "Yes. I really don't have anything I'm going to miss."

He was quiet for a moment, but I knew that I had him convinced. Finally he nodded, and I broke out into a smile.

"Great. So are we going back to Disney?"

"... I don't know." Harry said, glancing out the window. "If everyone in the Wizarding World is looking for me and you, it probably wouldn't be smart to go to such a public place."

"Come on," I whined, "Who's going to be looking for you in America, in a muggle theme park designed for children?"

He thought this over, and smiled. "I guess you're right. Are you all packed?"

"Yep," I answered proudly. "I'll just grab my bag and meet you there, okay?"

"Okay." He picked up his own suitcase and promptly disapperated, leaving me to throw out the stupid newspaper article and follow him.

Author's Note:

Well, there you guys go. I really hope you like it... once again, PLEASE tell me how I can improve; you can just comment and/or vote. I love you guys!

And... crap. My teacher found out that I was posting a story online... and now she wants to read it. How do I tell her that it's a gay fanfic? >.<

I'll write more soon. :)

~Raven~