Chapter 23: Dummies

Chapter 23

“Welcome our three guests judges, our beloved principal, Principal Turner, Mrs. Winston, head of Home Economics and Mr. Plum, a very good friend of our school!” Mr. De Leon announced.

It was finally Wednesday, performance day and I am backstage with my fellow music class classmates waiting for our turn to showcase our talents.

“Pair #7, you ready?” A senior student with clipboard in his hands, asked me. He probably volunteered for extra credit.

“No, my partner isn’t here yet.”

The senior nodded and talked to the earpiece he had on.

The show already started with a few people watching in the audience. We started the show like it was just normal music class, so most of the students were at their classes, but they can join and watch.

I got my guitar out of the bag and started practicing our mashup when someone blocked my view of the red curtains from the stage.

“Hey Luke” it was Roland, dressed in a tuxedo with his hair slick back and still wearing his tortoise shell glasses.

“Hey Roland. You look dapper.” I complimented him

“Thanks, this should get us more points from the judges.” He swatted his shoulder and showed off his best smile.

“I didn’t know you could be graded by your outfit.” I stared at my plain jeans and my white top and black jacket.

“You won’t. If the audience loves your outfit, they’ll love you too.” He smiled again.

Where did he get that logic? “Oh, they’re going to love you then.” Mr. De Leon already told us the citeria for  this contes.  40% for the chosen songs, 20% for delivery of the songs and 30% for harmony and 10% for audience impact. I wouldn’t be so intimidated by Roland’s choice of outfit.

“Where’s Teddy? I don’t see her around” he said, looking around.

“She’s late but don’t worry she’s gonna be here.” I told him. Actually, I already told Teddy to not be late so we can have last minute practice, so I’m kinda worrying and surprised to see that Teddy’s not here yet.

“Oh, I’m not worrying.” He laughed then sauntered away.

I swear Roland can be so annoying even if all he does is open his mouth.

And I’m sure that Teddy’s not going to bail. This music presentation is important to her.

………………………

“Pair #3, You’re up!!!” the same senior who talked to me earlier, shouted.

Pair #3 walked up the stage and started their song.

I went back to my strumming when a bang and a clang made everyone looked up from their business.

It was Teddy limping from the back door of the backstage.

I walked up to her, “Teddy, what happened?”

“Nothing much. I just tripped on a drum set, that’s all.” I could tell she was in pain because she winced every time she took a step.

“I swear, you can be so clumsy.” I told her as I supported her elbows as she limped to my empty chair.

Teddy sat on my chair and winced in pain.

“You think you could perform out there?” I asked her.

“Yeah, it’s my knee not my voice.” She giggled at her joke.