Chapter 6: Don't ever leave your buddy

Chapter 6:

Mom, wait, don't wake me up yet, Chace Crawford haven't kissed me yet-

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

I felt my whole body fall forward. Are we there yet? I opened my eyes to see little pecks of dust floating. Always be my Baby was playing in my other ear. I removed my right ear phone from my ear.

I guess I fell asleep with my earphones on. I look to my right and saw the highway and look at my left and saw Luke bobbing his-

Luke? What’s he doing here?

“Oh hey, you’re awake” he smiled at me as he removed both of his earphones. I can hear the faint sound of a rock song from his earphones.

I just stared at him.

“What are you doing here? Gary’s supposed to be-” I stopped. Gary isn’t here. He’s back in his dorm suffering from the stomach bug.

“I’ve been told to take any vacant seats left.” He smiled again. I never noticed how straight his teeth looked.

“I thought it’s against the rules to-” I was cut off by Luke.

“Yeah but this is the only seat left. You’re really nice to save me a seat. Thanks.” He smiled then fiddled with his iPod.

I opened my mouth to say that I didn’t save him a seat but I stopped abruptly. Why should I care and explain my side? After he stood me up at the stands, there’s no way I’m gonna talk to him.

I looked straight ahead then fixed my earphones. They were tangled again.

“You’re so excited for this camping trip, aren’t you? You got up early because you’re so excited. You were sleeping so soundly when I got here, I couldn’t wake you up. You ended up drooling on my shoulder the rest of the trip.” He chuckled.

I drooled? I wiped the corners of my mouth.

“Don’t worry, you did not miss the stopover. Just 10 more minutes and we’ll get there.” He informed me before he plugged back his earphones in his ear.

I looked over the heads in front of me and most of the students are now awake. I can see Michael and Roxette talking to each other.

Why did I get stuck here next to Luke?

…………………………………………………………………………..

“Okay! Your seatmates will be your buddy for the rest of the trip, except for sleeping time! I want you to follow my rule before we get down.  Always follow the buddy system. Don’t ever leave your buddy. Your buddy is your responsibility. And be back here at exactly 6:45 am.” Mrs. Jenkins announced with her megaphone.

After the students in front of me got out of the bus, I finally managed to squeeze out the bus.

It was only 6:30 so there’s a little fog and it was cold. I tightened the jacket around me and put my hands deeper in their pockets.

“Are you going to buy something?” Luke asked me. He was behind me because I didn’t wait for him to get down the bus. So he waited for the other people behind us to get down.

I shrugged. I didn’t need anything. Well, maybe just a drink but I don’t need to tell Luke that.

“Okay, do you mind going with me at the store? I need some food.” He smiled then he led the way to the convenience store.

I hesitated to follow but I don’t like to disobey orders. I’m not supposed to leave my buddy alone. He could get in danger and it would be my fault and my conscience would torture me.