Chapter 18: I Just Don't Get It

Chapter 18: 

Luke’s POV

*Riiiiiiiing!*

I picked up my bag from the floor and was out of the room in a flash.

That was History class. I really don’t like History. I mean, it’s in the past can we let it go now?

 I’ve been failing my quizzes and I’m kinda glad because the news still hasn’t reached my parents yet. They would make me stop playing in the band if I keep this up but history’s not just my strong point.

“Hey Luke! Try out for the softball team!!” my friend Jake handed me a flier for the softball team.

I smiled at Jake and didn’t say anything. As much as I like to play sports, I think I will only be focusing on music in the meantime. And History too.

It was already fifth period and I only have two classes to go. I decided to just skip music class, since all we do there is practice our pitch and stuff. We do that all the time during band practice and sometimes I just strain my voice whenever I attend music class.

I was on my way to my dorm room and the halls were now deserted when Principal Turner caught me going the other way.

“Mr. Hemmings?”

I slouched then stood up straight. Principal Turner also known as Hawkeye. He doesn’t shoot arrows but he has the eyes of the Hawk.

“Yes, Ha-, I mean, yes, Principal Turner?” I turned around and faced him. He was wearing his usual blue suit and red and white stripes and his hair was pushed back with lots of gel. He kinda looks young to be a principal.

“Where are you going, Mr. Hemmings?” he inquired, his voice booming.

I tried not to cringe and answered him, “uhm to class, sir.”

“What class is that?”

“Music Class”

“You are going the wrong way! Your music class is on the third floor, Mr. De Leon.” He explained.

Mr. De Leon? Last time I checked, Mr. De Leon’s talent was mental computation but I didn’t know he could sing, let alone teach a music class.

“Do you want me to bring you there?” the principal asked, breaking my thoughts.

I shook my head, “it’s okay. I’ll find my way there.”

“Run along now.” He ordered then watched me go the other way to the music class.

I trudged my way to the third floor so when I get there the class would be over. If I couldn’t put effort into music class when Ms. Travers is the teacher, I’m probably not gonna do anything with Mr. De Leon as substitute.

I made it to music class, unfortunately.

I pretended that I was running so I could give an excuse to Mr. De Leon if he asks me.

I opened the door and heard noise and saw Mr. De Leon leaning on the wooden desk, smiling then he turned to me.

“Luke! You’re late! I know I’m just a substitute but that’s no way to treat my class. You’re half an hour late, Hemmings.” Mr. De Leon boomed. Sometimes Mr. De Leon can be so dramatic. I’ve only been late to his class thrice this month.

But I was actually preparing for this. Mr. De Leon was not the first to teacher to raise their voice at me.

“I’m sorry Mr. De Leon but apparently nobody remembered to remind me that our Monday Music Class is now a Wednesday Music class.”  I reasoned out, saying my scripted line.