Chapter 37

Chapter 37
Allie
Scooping Nick up in my arms, I helped him to stand. We followed the others out, praying that this wasn't some trick.
Callum was already in his huge black wolf form and had ended the battle that had been brawling. Instead, the two packs were separated with Callum in the middle waiting for Hector. Hector stripped before he shifted into his brown wolf.
The rest of us, stood nervously watching as they circled each other. My gaze fell to Liv who couldn't stand still, biting her finger nails. I realized that seeing Callum fight Hector would probably bring back memories of the last time he was challenged. Of course, there was a lot more at stake. I reached out and wrapped an arm around her, hugging her for comfort.
"He'll be fine," I reassured her, "I think."
Turning my gaze, I refocused on my brother.
They continued to circle each other, growling threats and snarling insults. Neither of them were making the move and it was frustrating to watch. I didn't know what I wanted to happen. Hector make the first move and fail or Callum make the first move and get this thing started.
Hector finally made the first move. He snapped at Callum paws which Callum quickly reacted by biting at his cheek. Claws were pulled out by both wolves, cutting each other where they could. They became it a sort of head lock, their heads pushing against the other's shoulder. It was neck and neck. Callum wasn't losing but he wasn't exactly wining.
And then things started to get violent. Callum dug his teeth into Macangus' shoulder, chewing him up like a dog toy. Hector's growls grew as did his anger, realizing that Callum was getting the upper hand. So he decided to fight dirty. He jumped onto his two back legs, using his front ones to cut across Callum's chest. Callum had no choice but to back off, limping as blood dripped from his deep wounds.
"I-I can't watch this," Liv stuttered, turning a shade whiter if that was possible.
I hugged her tighter, trying to give her some form of support.
Turning my eyes back to the fight, I wished that I never had. Callum didn't have time to rest. Hector bolted for him, digging his teeth into his already torn chest. Painful whimpers-cross-growls escaped his lips, trying to free himself of Hector's grip.
"It's not goin' to work," Nick muttered next to me.
"What is?" I asked, growing worried.
"The witches said that we needed to brin' the packs together. Callum can't kill him," he told me, making my frown deepen.
I didn't see the point in bringing that up. Callum was fighting Hector and this war was almost over. Why did he want to ruin that?
"Nick," I asked, worried, "what are you plannin' on doin'?"
"Nothin'," he said, not looking at me, "Yet."
Great. Always loved it when people said that. Especially when it involved my mate doing something incredibly stupid.
Callum's growls got my attention, watching what was happening now. He was fighting the pain and clawing at Hector's legs. Hector grumbled but let go of him, backing off. Both of them limped, struggling to hide their injuries and their tiredness. They started to circle each other once again, trying to see where they can attack next.
"We need to stop them," Nick whispered in my ear.
My eyes widened as my head went into overdrive trying to work out if he had actually said what I think he had.
"What did you just say?" I snapped at him.
"We can't let them kill each other or the families will never be joined," he argued not very well.
"Nick, if you get in between them, you won't only be asking to be killed but you will break the challenge. You can't do that."
"If I take his place I can," when he saw my total lack of compliance he added, "I have to try Allie. For everyone's stake."
"What did I say before about you bein' a hero?" I snapped, narrowing my eyes at him.
Why was I given such a stupid mate?
"Do it?"
My head turned at the sound of Liv's voice. I frowned, not understanding why was she agreeing with this.
"I'm sorry Allie, but Nick's right. We can't let it end like this."
"Well, if your goin' to do somethin'. You better do it now."
At Malcolm's warning, I turned back to the fight. Callum and Hector were growing closer together and by the looks of things, it wasn't going to be long before everything ended.

Nicholas
I shifted and jumped in between them before they attacked each other. Ignoring the Alpha's commands, I focused on my brother.
Taking a step forward and holding my head high, I offered my challenge. The Alpha growled behind me, protesting against it. But there was nothing he could do. My brother accepted my challenge, not taking into account his injuries. He waited for the Alpha to leave the circle and re-join his mate before he decided to attack. His legs slowed him up and I was able to stop him in his tracks by clamping my teeth down on his muzzle. He whimpered, pulling back to escape, clawing at my legs.
I let go out of pity, watching as he stumbled back, tripping over his own hind legs. I saw my chance and pounced on him. Digging my teeth into his neck, I listened to his whimpers.
He's tryin' to trick you my mate told me, don't let go
I clamped down harder on his neck, trying to rip it apart. My claws dug into his body, trying to end his suffering as fast as possible. I didn't stop till his body no longer moved beneath me.
I let go of him and backed off trying to work out whether or not he was dead. My wolf body melted away before I knew it, my mind trying to work out what was happening. Hector's human body replaced his wolf one, not moving and growing white. I couldn't take my eyes off him. I had killed him. I had actually killed him.
I felt a hand on my arm, making me jump.
"Hey, hey, it's me," I relaxed at the sound of Allie's voice and welcomed her comforting arms around me.
"You did it," she giggled, hugging me tighter, "You joined the families. You joined the packs."
I looked around and found the pack that was once mine bowing at my command. My eyes began to burn in my head making me groan and stir in Allie arms. I felt every single member of my pack. I felt their pain, their anger but more importantly their loyalty. I felt the loss of the fallen members and the immediately felt the need to replace them.
"It worked," I said, not hiding my surprise as I clung to Allie's arms, "it actually worked."
"Nick," I turned my head to Callum who was in Liv's arms trying to heal.
He bowed his head, a form of respect. At his notion his pack bowed down to me, showing their loyalty.
"What's happenin'?" I asked Allie, feeling their power as well.
"There acceptin' you as alpha and offerin' an alliance," she told me.
"Really?" I asked, even more surprised.
"Aye, what are you goin' to do about it?" she asked, her grin growing.
My mind was going crazy so I decided to go with my instinct. I shifted and stood tall with the new connections I had formed.
Throwing my head back, I allowed my howls to echo through the sky. My song was joined by my new pack and my new family.