Chapter 30

Chapter 30
Nicholas
"So is there anythin' I need to avoid when talkin' to your brothers," I asked Allie as I got out of the shower.
"Mmm," she hummed, leaning on the doorframe of the bathroom door, "Don't mention your father, or the Macangus attack, or Hector, actually don't bring up anythin' about Macangus related."
I chuckled, knowing that there was nothing else I could do.
"Anythin' else," I asked, brushing my hair.
"Don't tell them about anythin' that happened the past month," she told me making me frown.
"What? Why?" I asked.
"They wouldn't understand. Aye, my brothers have been through a lot but none of them have been kidnapped and tortured. Plus, they will just blame you and we really don't need that."
That was true. If I made it to the end of the day, it would be an achievement.
As if reading my mind, she purred, "But if you don't come back..."
She took my arm and dragged me over to her. I wrapped my arms around her body, holding her tight.
"Thanks for the vote of confidence," I growled against her lips.
"Well, you need it. They're goin' to skin you alive."
"Well, if I wasn't nervous before..."
She giggled, reaching up to take my lips. Without realizing I pulled back making her frown.
"Should we really be doin' this?" I asked.
Her frown deepen, "What do you mean?"
"Well, I feel like they would know," I admitted.
Her eyes narrowed, "Nick, it's not like they have cameras in here."
"I know, I know," I hushed her, "But I feel weird. I'm defilin' their sister."
"You're not defilin' her. She was defiled long before you met her."
I chuckled, finally taking her soft, delicious lips. They were hungry and wanted a lot more then what I was giving them.
"Nick," she groaned, "What's wrong with you?"
"Well, I don't want to get into somethin' that I can't finish," I told her.
She frowned, looking down, "Why? Somethin' wrong down there."
Taking two steps forward, I pushed her against the wall, pressing my pelvis hard against her. She gasped, her cheeky grin returning.
"Nothin'. Is. Wrong," I growled, against her lips.
"No. It's. Not," she murmured, sucking in a breath before taking my lips.
I tugged on her lips, listening to her moans. It was sending me hot which was the opposite of what I wanted.
Groaning, I pulled back and walked away from her.
"No," I moaned, "You can't do that Allie."
"Do what? I'm innocent," she said, with evil in her eyes.
"You know what you're doin'," I said, grabbed my jeans off the bed and pulling them on before taking off my towel.
"What? I'm only human – well, partly," she giggled at her own joke.
"Aye, well I can't be...around your brother," I told her.
She scoffed, "Who knew you were such a prude. Horny isn't a bad word."
"I know, but people around here have super hearin' and I don't exactly what it bein' heard," I explained, grabbing the jumper that she stole from the laundry.
She scoffed again, "You're so paranoid. Do you know that?"
I sighed, giving in. Aye, I was. Of course I was. I was the enemy here no matter if I did anything or not. I was a target for their anger. If anyone had a beef about my family, I was a clear punching bag.
"Okay," Allie said, walking over to me and wrapping her arms around me, "just relax."
I did, taking in a deep breath and just taking in her scent.
"Just be yourself okay," she told me.
I chuckled, "easier said than done. Bein' myself involves bein' a Macangus and –."
"Come on," she said, looking up into my eyes, "We both know your more than that."
I smiled, proud of her faith in me.
"I wish I could be your version of me all the time," I declared to her.
"You're my version all the time. It just takes people time to see it," she said, making my smile grow.
"I love you."
"I love –."
Knock, knock.
Allie groaned, peeling out of my grip.
"Who is it?" she asked, not pretending to be happy.
"Your brother," Callum answered making me swallow, "Your oldest brother if I need to be clearer."
"Yeah, yeah," Allie groaned, opening up the door to Callum.
He smiled at his sister before his gaze turned to me.
"You ready?" He asked.
I nodded, "aye."
I took a step towards the door when Allie stopped me, looking straight at her brother.
"Promise me that this isn't a trick and he's not goin' to end up in some ditch somewhere?" She asked.
Callum looked at her dumbly, "I promise."
"And Graham?" She asked.
"He'll be on his best behaviour. You have my word."
She raised an eyebrow trying to will him to confess to lying. But he wasn't.
"Comin'?" He asked again.
I nodded, kissing Allie on the top of her head before she had a chance to stop us again. I wasn't sure if I was nervous because I was walking with Allie's older brother or because I was walking with the Alpha King. I mean, he didn't play it up and if it wasn't from his royal scent, you wouldn't have known.
Swallowing, I asked, "so, ah, what are we doin'?"
"We're goin' to the basement. There's a demon that has some answers that I want. Archie's already down there," he answered.
Not wanting to go back to silence, I asked, "Do you normally ask the questions yourself?"
He shook his head, "not normally, no. Archie takes care of it."
I nodded, accepting his answer.
Leading me down a corridor, he pushed opened a door that was disguised as the wall. If Callum hadn't touched it, I wouldn't have noticed it was there. It opened up to a cemented hall with solid stone doors. We walked down the five stairs that entered what I guess could be called a basement.
He knocked on the first door before there was a click and he was able to turn the knob. Nodding his head, I followed him through.
He was right, Archie was already in there, standing by a table filled with weapons. Chained and tied to a wooden chair was a demon about to lose control. His eyes were solid black and long dark nails were digging into the chair's arms.
I frowned, tilting my head. I knew him.
"I know you," I stated, "You work at a club."
The demon frowned to, trying to place me in his mind.
"Who are they?" the demon growled.
"Don't worry about them, worry about me," Archie told him, "A little birdy told me that you knew that Hector Macangus was in town for a while, weeks actually."
I frowned, confused. Why was he askin' that for?
"I don't have to answer your questions," the demon snarled, "I know how these things work."
"Great, so you understand that I'm goin' to ask you a few questions and if you don't answer them with the full truth, I get to torture you," Archie said with a smile on his face.
My mind was in a whirl wind. The demon wasn't stripped or chained up like a dead pig. He only had a mark on his cheek, probably something to get him to behave. And he was even given a chance to speak.
"So let's start again," Archie started, "A little birdy told me that you were seen hangin' around a few lasses from the Macangus pack."
"How would I know?" he shouted, "I hang around with many lasses. Hard to keep track. And I don't even ask for their names let alone what stupid little pack they're from."
"Hey, mind your manners. You're tradin' on our hospitality," Archie warned, making the demon scoff.
"I don't have to answer to you," he growled, "I'm not a wolf and your definitely not my Alpha if I had one. If some lasses came to me and said that they were apart of some pack, I have no reason to tell you. I have no loyalty to you."
"No, but you follow Doileag MacCionaodha. And last time I checked, we have an understandin' that he would look out for any Macangus sightin'. Now, if we tell him, that you ignored his request, jeopardisin' the alliance between wolves and demons, he'll do a lot worse to you than we will."
The demon grumbled, but didn't answer.
Turning around, Archie took a small bottle of clear liquid.
"Do you know what this is?" he asked, but the demon didn't answer, "Yeah, I didn't think so. It doesn't really have a name. I got a witch to make it for me, she was quite reluctant. She's all about, healin' people not hurtin' them. But when I told her how it would help me, she soon gave up. It's kind of like acid. It can burn through anythin'. Skin," he poured the bottle causing tiny droplet to touch the creature's skin.
He cried out, jumping in the chair. His skin blistered like nothing, almost to the bone.
"If you don't start answerin' my questions, your horns are next," Archie warned.
Even I was surprised. Demons horns were at the tops of their head, often covered by hair to hide them from the humans. But they were a demon's pride, almost like their manhood.
The demon jumped at the threat, quickly folding, "Alright, alright. They did tell me that they were from the Macangus pack but they didn't tell me their names or their whereabouts, I promise. I can give you descriptions if you wish, even the name of the club they were at so you can keep an eye out."
Archie smiled, seeming almost proud of him. He slapped the demon on the shoulder, making him jump.
"See, that's all we wanted to hear. Now, when we release you, how about you give those details to our master, ay? Save you gettin' into trouble."
The demon nodded, suddenly looking frightened.
"Now, I'm goin' to drug you then ditch you in the forest. Any objections?" he asked.
The demon's eyes widened, "wait! What?"
"Yeah, didn't think so."
Before the demon had a chance to argue, Archie covered his hand over the demon's mouth. The demon's eyes slowly started to flatter as he started to become effected by what was on Archie's hand.
Once the creature was out, Archie stood straight looking down at him.
"Well," he said, out of breath, "MacCionaodha really needs to watch out for his staff. Are you goin' to tell him?"
Callum shook his head, "He gave us what we needed. MacCionaodha didn't know."
"You are way too trustin' Brother," Archie said, but Callum didn't question him.
"Are you goin' to ditch him now?" Callum asked.
Kicking the demon's leg, Archie answered, "Aye. I'll find Graham and Malcolm to help me."
"Good," Callum breathed, "Come on, Nicholas. We have other stuff to do."
Taking his word, I followed Callum out. I was impressed, I couldn't deny it. Archie had been such a different person in there. He was smart, cocky and new exactly how to get what he wanted. But once he was talking to Callum, his whole demeanour changed. He just became a brother. Callum was another surprise. Hector had always said that Callum was weak. That he was a peace lover and didn't get his hands dirty because he would rather listen to his heart. I respected him for that but I also wondered if he was being foolish like Archie had said. He was too trusting. And one day, that would rather make his empire or break it.
"So," Callum said, returning me to Faol Coillie as we made our way up the stairs, "What do you think?"
"You definitely do thin's different around here," I admitted, trying to be as honest as I could.
"What? No guts or gore," he chuckled.
"Well, yeah. Wouldn't it be better to be violent and show them who's really in charge?" I asked.
"It could be, aye. But I don't believe that loyalty can be brought by fear. My wolves follow me because they know I value they're lives. And that's not somethin' all alphas show."
"But don't you worry that they will raise up against you?"
At my question, he halted, thinking.
"Sometimes," he admitted, "but I try to please everyone no matter what position they're in. But if they went to raise up, then they can. Just not here."
I was surprised again. He truly was the faith Alpha that everyone said he was. 
Opening up a set of double doors, we walked through into a library. I watched as Callum's face lit up as he saw the small woman with blonde curls that bounced on her shoulders. It wasn't hard to figure out who she was to him. I mean, before he moved around the desk and leaned over for her lips.
"Hello," he said.
"Hi," she giggled.
Turning to me, he said, "Nicholas, this is my wife, Liv."
"Hi," she said with an American accent.
I nodded, with a smile, not really managing anything else.
A cough came from the lounge and I spied the lass that Archie had tried pulling up the stairs when we first got back.
"Oh and that's Amy," Callum said.
"Hey!" she snapped, sitting up and looking offended, "and that's Amy, that's no way to speak to your sister-in-law."
"Right sorry," he said, rolling in eyes, "this is Amy, my dear sister-in-law, by accident, not by choice."
Amy's eyes narrowed at him, but Liv and I just laughed.
Getting him back on track, Liv said, "The Alpha of the Ramsay Pack, called. Wants to speak to you."
He frowned, "Really, what about?"
"Don't know. He said that he wanted you to see him as soon as you could."
He sighed, straightening up to think.
"I can go if you can't," she told him.
"Since when do you do house calls?" Amy asked.
"Since a month ago. Hence, the pants suit," Liv said, gesturing to the grey suit she was wearing, "It's time to step up."
"Are you sure?" Callum said, rubbing her arms, "You've never gone alone before. I'm sure he can wait a day."
"I'll be fine," she reassured him.
He gave her a warning look that she seemed to read perfectly.
"I'll bring Graham with me if that will make you feel better," she said.
"Graham's busy with Archie and so is Malcolm," he told her.
"Fine, I'll take Artier or Beathan."
"Not Beathan," he quickly said making her frown.
"Why?"
He paused thinking.
"Because I don't trust him. Not since the Harrison attack," he admitted, making my mind go straight back to our conversation.
He really did believe that people could challenge his position.
Sighing, she nodded, "How about we just wait till tomorrow? And then you can come with me."
He smiled, pecking her lips as a form of a thank you.
"What are you two up too?" Amy asked, once they had broken apart.
"I'm showin' Nicholas over there how we do thin's," Callum told her, picking up a piece of paper and reading it.
"Is he learnin' anythin'?" she asked, looking at me.
"Ah, you guys definitely do thin's differently," I admitted.
"Are you able to learn?" she asked, with judgie little eyes.
I nodded, "I think I can."
"Me too," Callum said, smiling at me.
Who knew? I at least had won over one brother.
"Come on," Callum said nodding towards the door before looking down at Liv, "love you."
"love you," she said as we paced out the door.
Down the stairs we went till we go to the void. Callum turned down another corridor that led out to the back of the house and even out two French doors that opened out to a stone patio. Out on the grass was the wolf I recognised from three years ago. She still had her hip-length, brown hair and slim body. The only difference was the baby that slept against her body in a baby carrier and the group of ten year-olds in front of her.
"What's this?" I asked.
"This is how we train the young wolves," Callum told me, "Archie use to do it but since the other wolves trainin' grew, Tarna started to do it. Besides, Archie was never good at it anyway."
I chuckled at that.
"Come on," he laughed, leading me closer to the group.
"Now close your eyes," Tarna instructed, doing it herself, "sense everythin' around you. Use your other senses. You hearin', your smell, your touch. Make a mental note of everythin'."
"She's good," I whispered to Callum.
"Another thin' we do differently, I'm guessin'," he said, just teasing.
I nodded, "We don't train them at all. Said it was better for them to learn by themselves."
"Well, it's –."
"Do you two mind?" Tarna snapped, with a grin on her face, "I'm tryin' to train here."
"Sorry, Tarna," Callum chuckled, "I'm just showin' Nicholas around."
"Well in that case. Just talk amongst yourselves, children," Tarna said to the kids before she made her way closer to us.
"So," she started, looking at me, "We meet again."
I was about say something, when Callum jumped in, "Do you two know each other?"
And just like that, I saw the same panicking look that Allie wore earlier when she had asked me not to mention anything about her time in my pack.
"Oh, just from around," she quickly said, giving me a look that said, don't say anythin'.
Callum accepted it, though didn't by it.
Wanting to change topic, I said, "So you look after the young ones and a newborn. You've got guts."
"Please, they're the easy ones," she brushed off, nudging towards them as she bounced a little to ensure that Bee was still sleeping, "But she is my little wolf cub, so she's forgiven."
I chuckled, feeling my heart long for a little wolf cub myself.
"Where's Malcolm?" she finally asked.
"Doin' a job with Archie. Why? Are you lookin' for him?" Callum asked.
"Not partically. We were goin' to go for a run later, that's all."
"Well, I'm sure he'll be back soon," he reassured her.
She smiled but didn't seemed too fazed.
"Well, I better get back to doin' your job," she said with a grin, walking back to the group.
"Why is everyone givin' me cheek today?" he asked with a grin.
"It must be the look on your face," she argued, giggling herself.
He shook his head as I stifled a laugh.
Pattering my shoulder he said, "Come on. There's one more thin' I want to show you."
Callum led the way down a small bush path that made its way amongst the trees. It weaved around the bushes and through the scrub. The bird sounds disappeared making the silence grow between us. My mind started to wonder where he was taking me and even if he was going back on his word. Perhaps I hadn't won him over and this was where he was going to kill me.
The path opened up to a clearing, filled with headstones, not helping my thoughts. It was like Faol Coillie had its own little cemetery complete with names on headstones and dates. The plots were organised by the battles the wolves had died in, dated back to even World War I. I swallowed, realising why he had taken me here.
Nodding to the closest group of graves and the freshest, Callum said, "they died a month ago, durin' the Harrison attack."
"Harrison," I mumbled the name, knowing it had some meaning to me, "the wolf that captured Bleu?"
"Aye. He attacked a month ago, tryin' to take her back."
I nodded, remembering it. That was when Hector had decided to take Allie. He had said for weeks that another battle was brewing for the Pattersons and said that it was the perfect time to strike.
"Do you know why Bleu was kidnapped?" he asked.
I nodded, "To get answers from Harrison."
"Aye, about Hector," Callum explained, making my gaze meet his, "Harrison had broken into my house without my knowledge and tried to drown my mate under the order of your brother –."
"Aye, I remember the order," I buttered in before he could finish, "Nathair was out of hidin' by then and was puttin' pressure on Hector to start makin' moves. He had convinced rogues like Harrison that he would give them a place in the pack if they spied on Alphas around the area. When we found out that the Alpha King – you, had a mate, the plan suddenly came into action."
When I saw something of hatred in his eyes, I quickly added, "I had nothin' to do with it, you have my word. I'm not here to kill your mate or any of the others' mates."
"I know," he said, "I believe you."
I frowned, not exactly believing him.
"Really? Then what's all this," I asked him.
"I'm showin' you our history and why it's goin' to be hard to accept you," he told me.
"I know why," I told him, "because I'm a Macangus."
"No, because of this," he said, gesturing to the graves.
Walking over to the next group, I swallowed at the sign:
Macangus Attack II
There was so many. Fifty at least. The worse part was, I started to think about what we had done to our dead. We had done nothing.
"There's at least one member of every family in the pack right here," he told me, "we were taken by surprise and we weren't ready. I mean, Liv and Malcolm didn't even make it out."
"I know," I told him, "Hector told me."
He nodded, accepting my answer.
"Callum, I get it. People died. But people died on our side too."
"Aye, but we didn't attack you," he argued.
"But –," I stopped myself finding that I had no argument.
We stood in silence trying to figure out what to say next.
"Look, not that he was some hero or anythin', but I lost my father in that battle too," I said.
Guilt washed over Callum's face as I remembered a small detail of that story. I was standing next to my father's killer.
"Nicholas, I want to personally apologise for the death of your father," he said, meaning it to.
I frowned, "Why? He tried to kill you, take your wife, did all this."
"Because I'm not perfect as I was reminded yesterday," he told me, "And maybe, I'm at fault too."
And then I was reminded of what Allie had said earlier. That she had told him that he was a horrible person for letting Hector go. I was about to tell him that she had been wrong when he started to move down an aisle.
Another sign read:
Macangus attack I
But we didn't stop there. Instead, we went to another part of the cemetery where the grave stones were a lot grander. I swallowed when I realized that this was where the past Alphas lied. Including Allie's parents.
Callum stopped at the large crucifix grave stone with the names:
Steaphan and Coira Patterson, on it.
The grave stone next to that said the name:
Bonnie Clacher
I felt my whole body go numb at the thought of her. Poor, poor Bonnie.
"Did you know her?" Callum asked.
I nodded, "Aye, I did. She was...she was so lovely."
"Was she ever happy?" he asked.
Biting on my lip, I nodded, "Aye, they both were."
"What happened between them?"
"My father," I said, growing frustrated, "I know you hate my brother but he wasn't always like that. Nathair knew how to get into people's heads and Hector was too stupid and listened to him."
He nodded, "Aye, I thought that long before I knew you."
He surprised me once again. He was understanding too.
And then I started to fear his underlining motive.
Turning to him, I growled, "I would never do that to Allie. If that's what you're thinkin'."
"I wasn't thinkin' that," he tried to reassure me.
"Really? Because isn't what this whole thin' was about? To test me. To see if I'm a murderous bastard like the rest of my family."
He didn't say no.
"Ask me?" I told him, making him frown, "You're the Alpha King right. I'm sure you can tell if someone was lyin' no matter how good of a liar they were. Ask me. Ask me if I'm a spy and that my love for Allie is some trick to get back at you."
He was silent thinking and rubbing his lip. I kept waiting for him to ask me but then, he shook his head.
"I'm not goin' to do that," he told me.
"Why not?" I asked, "It would give you security, wouldn't it?"
"Aye, it would but I don't need it. When you said that you would never do what Hector did to Bonnie you were tellin' the truth. So, I don't need to."
Another surprise. I stood still, not sure of what to do. I had once again believed that I would be accepted into the family. But who was I kidding. No matter what I did, I was still a Macangus.
"Are you comin'?" Callum asked, nodding towards the path.
I shook my head, "I really just need time to think. I know my way back."
"Are you sure?" He asked, looking sincerely worried.
I nodded, "aye, I am."
He tried to give me a comforting smile but there wasn't much he could do. This was my problem. The sad part was, there was no way to stop it.

Allie
Walking down the stairs, I halted at the sound of yelling.
"Listen here mate, I have a free pass into this house," growled the voice.
Wait, I knew that voice.
"Listen, vamp. Your service isn't wanted anymore. We found her," growled Donald.
Oh God, Justin. I was trying to avoid having the whole, so-I-found-my-mate-we-can-no-longer-do-our-booty-call-agreement conversation.
"I know, that's why I want to see her," Justin snarled.
"Well I'm not lettin' you in."
"Listen you little -."
"Donald," I called, pacing down the corridor, "you can let him in."
Donald gave me a confused look but allowed him through and left us alone.
"Hey," I said, welcoming him in.
"Hi," he said, looking happy to see me, "so your back."
"Aye, I am. Got back yesterday. I heard you were helpin'."
"Well, Archie and I had that deal remember," he reminded me.
I nodded, "aye, I remember."
We fell into awkward silence. Me, trying to get up the courage to call it off and him, not really knowing what to say. I didn't know why it was so hard. I had broken up with lads before. But he was different. He was the only lad that didn't ask questions about my life.
"So, hey, listen -."
"I know you found your mate, Allie," he buttered in before I could say it myself.
"Really? How?" I asked.
"Are you kidding? It's the only thing people can talk about."
"Great," I said, not loving the idea of people talking about my love life.
"So, is he worth it?" He asked, "I mean, your brothers aren't going to welcome him with open arms and he is a Macangus. So, is he worth it?"
Smiling, I thought about my handsome mate and how he made me feel, "aye, he is."
"Well, then I guess I'm happy for you. At least one of us found something that could fill our hearts," he said, making me smile.
"I'm sure you'll find her somewhere," I promised him.
"I hope so."
Before we could fall into silence, I asked, "so, what are you goin' to do now?"
"Well, now that my debt to Patterson is paid, I think it's time to return home, to America. It's been awhile," he admitted.
"I hope everythin' works out for you," I told him, really meaning it.
"Yeah, you too."
He opened his arms and before I realised, I had wrapped my arms around him for a hug. I felt a kiss on my cheek but just let it slide because it didn't mean anything.
"Get the hell away from her!" I heard Nick growl before I was torn from Justin's arms.
"Hey, what the hell man?" Justin yelled, sizing him up.
I was so stunned that I didn't know what to do at first. I had never seen a jealous Nick before.
"You touch her again and I'll rip your vampire head off, you understand?" Nick threatened.
And suddenly it clicked.
"Really, Allie," Justin said, pointing at him, "this is your mate. You really do have horrible taste in men."
Nick took a step forward but I pulled him back.
"Don't listen to him, Nick. It was just a hug," I told him.
"No it wasn't," he snapped at me, his eyes dripping with pain, "you still don't get it, do you?"
"Get what? It was a stupid hug," I snapped back, Justin vanishing into thin air, "we were sayin' goodbye."
"You still don't get that no matter who your with, wether they're a vampire, demon or whether it's a bloody human, your family will like him better then me!" He yelled.
I froze, not wanting to admit it. I thought he was making progress. I thought that's what today was all about.
Not giving me a chance to tell him that it wasn't true, he stormed in the direction of the door. I went to follow him when I felt arms come around my waste and hug me to a body.
"Let him go," Callum told me, "he needs to cool off."
Callum let me go, allowing me turn around and look at him.
"What did you say to him?" I said, trying not to get angry, "you were supposed to be fixin' this."
"I was. But maybe it's goin' to be harder than I thought," he told me.
"It can't be, okay. I won't give up, Callum, I won't," I told him.
"I know. But maybe, he will."
My mouth dropped, my heart shattering at the thought. Nick couldn't give up on me, he couldn't. I felt tears sting my eyes which I immediately tried to blink away. I didn't want to cry and I definitely didn't want to cry in front of Callum.
Moving past him, I headed in the direction of the corridor.
"Where are you goin'?" He called out not making any attempt in going after me.
"Out!"