Chapter 5

Chapter 5
Allie
The light burned my eyes as the cold touched my bare skin that wasn't covered by the blanket. My whole body felt stiff from staying in that ball position all night, trying to stay warm and trying to stay comfortable. All night, I was neither of those things. How could I be?
It was only two days ago when I was sleeping on a mattress that was ten inches thick and my room had a built in fire place that I could light whenever I want. Now where was I? On the dirty, cold ground with one blanket to cover me from the harsh breeze that blew. Not to mention the cold metal that was wrapped around my wrists.
Slowly opening my eyes, the world around me was blurred. A round figure sat a few meters away from me making me frowned and try to get my eyes to focus.
When it cleared and I saw that it was Nicholas sitting with his knees to his chest, I groaned and hug the blanket closer to me.
"Don't you have somethin' better to do?" I groaned, annoyed that he decided to start another conversation about how we were 'mates' so early in the morning.
When he didn't answer me, I groaned again, frustrated that he was watching me.
"Seriously, go away," I told him, not trying to be nice.
"I'm not goin' anywhere," he said, staying strong.
"Why not?" I asked, "There's nothin' for you here unless you want to unlock me."
Again, he was silent making me scoff.
"I'll take that as a no."
"I'm not goin' to give up," he repeated.
"I wish you would," I admitted, not waiting a second, "There's no future for us, Nicholas. I'm a Patterson, you're a Macangus."
"There just names," he said.
"No, Nicholas, there not," I snapped, "Your father killed my parents."
"And your brother killed my father."
"Aye, he was tryin' to take his throne and his mate for that matter."
He rolled his eyes in disbelief.
"You don't believe me," I started, "because I'll believe the word of my sister-in-law and my brother over yours any day."
"And which brother is this," he asked, smartly, "The one that was workin' with a vampire, the one that recently mated a witch or the one that disowned his wolf."
I narrowed my eyes at him. How the hell did he know all that? Aye, the comment about Malcolm was common knowledge, but not the one about Archie. And if Hector and his pack had been banished, he shouldn't have known anything about Graham's mate.
"How do you know all that?" I asked, already knowing the answer, shooting daggers with my eyes.
His mouth dropped as his struggled to say something, turning his gaze away.
"Have you been followin' us?"
Again, he didn't answer.
I scoffed, "No matter what argument you come up with, Nicholas, your family have done more wrong towards mine than mine to yours. Do you understand?"
"Look, I understand why you don't want a future with me but –."
"If you think that I ever could than you don't understand at all," I snapped, "my parents are dead because of your father. My family almost broke and Malcolm's life did break because of your brother, twice."
"What happened with Bonnie was –."
"Was what?" I stopped him, "a misunderstandin'? A sorry that you couldn't make it with me, so I'm goin' to ruin what you got goin' on with Patterson?"
"I don't know that facts but –."
"I do," I buttered in again, "Your brother poisoned Bonnie so that she would attack my brother. And in the end, he killed her."
He frowned, confused which only frustrated me more.
"What part of that don't you understand?" I snapped, "the part where Hector poisoned his mate or somethin' else entirely."
"It doesn't make sense," he stated.
"Yes it does," I told him, "your father and your brother are sick sons of bitches and –."
"Hey!" he snapped, "I get it, you hate my family, you hate my family name, hell, you hate me because of it and you don't know anythin' about me."
"Do I need to?" I asked, offended, "If you were at all different to your brother, you would have let me go the moment I asked."
"So you can what?" he growled, "Run back to your family and forget all about me."
"Like you said before, I don't know anythin' about you," I snarled, using his comeback against him, "I can forget you just like -,"I clicked my fingers, "that."
"That simple," he said, his whole face hardening, "you think it would be that simple, huh?"
"Aye. You wouldn't be the first," I told him, knowing it was true.
I could get over men faster than some showers.
"And that's it?" He asked.
"How many times do I have to say it?" I snapped, "It's not goin' to happen. I'm not goin' to be marked or mated by a Macangus. I don't care who it is, I'm just not!"
I hadn't realised I was yelling till I had stopped. My mouth felt dry and my throat was all scratched. The silence we had fallen into was deafening. It was a knife to my heart and the pain in his eyes was cutting into my soul.
I couldn't describe it. How could someone that I didn't know and someone I was supposed to hate make my heart ache?
Nicholas stood and turned in the direction he came in. My wolf stirred inside of me, wanting me to call him back.
The pain brought tears to my eyes which I quickly wiped away.
"What the hell?" I sniffed, wiping my nose.
I never cried, not about something so stupid.
This is what I wanted. It was. I didn't want Nicholas as my mate. I didn't want a Macangus as my mate. 

Nicholas
I ran. I ran faster than my four legs could take me.
There's nothin' for you here unless you want to unlock me
I forced her voice out of my head, trying to escape the reality.
There's no future for us, Nicholas. I'm a Patterson, you're a Macangus
They were just names,  weren't they? I asked myself. They were just simple names that you placed at the end of your first name. It wasn't a good enough reason to disown me. Was it?
My feet tumbled under the weight of the question, feeling it weigh my body down.  
No matter what argument you come up with, Nicholas, your family has done more wrong towards mine than mine to yours
Maybe she was right. Maybe our families were too broken to mend. Sometimes not even a union made from love could heal a wound caused by hate.
The question was, could I let her go? We didn't have a past, we barely had a present, did it matter if there was no future?
My mate had said that she had seen the effects of disowning a mate before. So had I.
I had seen it in my brother.
It was the day Bonnie left. It just seemed like any other day. The sun shined bright as I came back from my morning jog.
Everything in the Pack house was silent. I could only sense one being in the house and he was upstairs. I frowned, recognising my brother's scent mixed with pain and an inner darkness.
My feet started to move as if under control from another mind. Making my way up the spiral staircase, something in the air didn't seem right. Fresh blood caught the tip of my nose, making me fear the worse.
I knew my brother's and his mate's relationship was difficult. It was not one I wished for my own. But like everything, my father had gotten inside his head and made him think the way he did. And Bonnie payed the price of that.
When I opened Hector's door, I didn't know where to look.
His broken chest-of-draw, his torn apart bed, the blood that was splatted across the white walls and carpet or my brother's curled body that sat against the wall.
He was shaking. His fingernails had grown into black claws digging into his skull. The blood that was around the room was on his hands making my fear grow.
"Hector," I said, finding words to say.
"Leave me," he growled, his voice no longer human.
He was in The Between. He wasn't a wolf but he wasn't human.
"Hector, what's happened?" I asked him, hoping he would tell me.
"I said leave!"
I didn't have time to react. He jumped me, throwing me on the torn apart bed. A large piece of wood was being jabbed into my back as Hector's grip around my neck tightened.
"Hector, please," I begged, my voice higher as I struggled to breathe.
"You never do as you're told!" he growled, his eyes glowing red, "I've never seen a wolf so weak! If I just squeeze your neck –"
I couldn't help cry out as two needle like nails, pieced my skin.
"See, your a weak, son of a –."
His blurred face disappeared as well as the pressure in my neck. I shot up, not wanting to be caught vulnerable again, coughing as air entered my lungs to fast.
When my vision cleared, I frowned, confused at what I saw. Hector, now on the ground and my father looming over him.
Not looking at me, he growled, "Get out."
He didn't have to ask me twice.
I shook the memory away, returning to my wolf brain in the forest of the place that I had been forced to call home for six years.
Maybe Allie could live without me, but could she live without her mate. Could I live without my mate?