Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Nicholas
Cold water covered half my body, cooling me. It was the only way I could calm down and stop from loosing control all completely.
I had tried to get her out of my head, but I couldn't.
Her bright golden wolf eyes were forever memorised in my brain as well as her round shaped face and soft cheek bones. I nibbled at my lip recalling the shape of her own pale pink ones in a slight pout. And just as my mind grew on the idea that all she had to cover herself was a blanket, I remembered her fear. I remembered her anger. I remembered the very reason she was here in the first place. One big giant game of pay back, invented by Hector against her two older brothers.
Oh crap, I didn't even think about my father. All the things he had done to that family was five pages long.
I didn't have a shot with Allie. How the hell could I even have thought I could have had some sort of future with her? There's multiple reasons why not.
One; my pack wanted to kill every Patterson they could find.
Two; her pack would never accept a Macangus
Three; her family probably hated me even though they didn't even know me.
Four; she probably hated me.
Groaning, I jumped and landed in the cool liquid. My muscles tightened, trying to get use to the cold as goosebumps rose on the back of my neck and down my spine.
How easy would it be just to stay like this? Not to return to the world where my brother was hell bent on revenge, where my very existence was hurting people and where the one chance of true happiness would never ever accept me.
Knowing that it was pointless, I resurfaced and took in a breath of poisoned air.
"Hey Nick!"
My head turned at the sound of Jeremy's voice, spying him and a few friends jumping into the water. The unsettling ripples were the cue to leave.
Just as I took the towel that I had sat on the ground by my clothes, Jeremy ran over to me.
Water dripped from his long blonde strands and down his body, stopping at his shorts. He seemed out of breath though he hadn't run that far.
"Hey, where you goin'?" He asked.
"I'm goin' to go see the Patterson Lass," I said, trying to pretend that just hearing her name on my lips didn't cause my heart to race.
"Aye, Acheson said that she wasn't very pleased to be chained up."
Would you? I forced myself not to say, knowing that it would only make it worse.
I had been the decision not to tell anyone about who she really was. Her future wasn't certain but if people knew that she was my mate, it would definitely end in misery.
"Aye," I said, avoiding his eyes as I leant down to pick up my jeans, "are you just goin' to hang around here?"
He nodded, "why? You want me to help?"
He nudged me, growing a cheeky grin. I bit my lip, trying not to grow angry.
He's only jokin', I told myself, just get dressed and leave as fast as you can.
"Well, maybe I'll catch you later," I told him.
He nodded before turning and running back into the water. With my brother safely out of the way, I scooped my shirt up from the ground and pulled it on.
First, I headed back to my tent. If Allie and I were at all going to have a distant conversation, she needed to be comfortable. And I doubted that she felt comfortable talking half naked.
On my way, I tried to pretend that my mind wasn't back at the lake with Jeremy. My brothers and I, we were never close. It had always been like that as long as I could remember. There was a time where Hector and I were close but quickly ended when my father had brainwashed him.
Shaking away the thought, I paced into my tent.
With my position in the pack, I didn't have to live in poverty. Instead, I lived in a large white tent that's roof was high enough that I didn't have to bend at all. I could fit a chest-of-draws, a circled king size bed and a desk nicely. Carpet rugs covered the cold dirty ground also bringing comfort to my feet.
Pacing over to my chest-of-draws, I snatched out some sweat pants with a jaw string and a jumper that I had grown out of two years ago before pacing out.
I waited just outside the tent, watching the people around the camp fire. They took no notice of me, allowing me to jog into the trees.
It was five minutes before I entered the grave yard of dead trees and spotted a furious and determined Allie, trying to break her chains.
Taking careful steps, I lowered my pace dramatically and avoided her gaze. I wondered if she had noticed my presence, when the chinking of her chains stopped.
My eyes flicked up without realising and met with her. God, I had never seen eyes so pale blue. Just as I thought I would get caught up in their colour, I dropped the clothes, close enough for her to reach.
I thought she would at least look grateful that I was trying to give her privacy but instead, her eyes narrowed and started to through draggers.
I frowned, confused to why my friendly gesture was having the opposite affect.
"What ever your doin', you can stop," she snapped, "I've already figured out why I'm here."
I hung my head, ashamed that she had guessed what my brother was forcing me to do. Break my mate's soul. 
"You bastards have put a spell on me," she said, almost proud that she had guessed it.
I frowned, confused. Spell? What spell?
When I looked up and saw her smug face, I realized that she had jumped to the wrong conclusion. Wow, she hated the very idea of being my mate that much that she would really think it was a spell.
"You really think that, don't you?" I asked, trying to hide my hurt.
"Aye, you Macangus' are sick like that," she snapped, pointing her finger at me.
Another bullet to my chest.
"This isn't a spell Allie," I told her.
"Your lyin'!" She screamed, shaking against her chains, "I'm not an idiot and I don't appreciate bein' lied to."
"I'm not lyin'," I repeated, "this is real, we're -,"
"Don't," she snapped, "don't even say the word."
I scoffed. Unbelievable. She didn't even know me and already she thought I was exactly like my brother.
"Besides," she said, flipping her hair, getting her confidence back, "if we were - you know, why didn't I catch your scent durin' the two attacks."
"I wasn't there for either of them," I told her, only making her anger grow.
"So you would allow young newbie wolves fight your battles," she snapped with a judgy look.
"It wasn't my idea okay," I admitted making her scoff.
Okay, I was understanding about the whole history thing but I wasn't going to let her treat me like dirt on her boot.
"Look, I've done nothin's that I'm ashamed of," I had told her, not trying to ignore my growing frustration.
"Really? Not even chain a lass to a tree," she said, shaking her chains.
"Again, not my idea."
"Than what was your idea. This whole conversation?" She asked, sarcasm dripping from her voice.
I gave her a dum look, not wanting to tell her that she was right.
"Look, the way I see it is, we don't know each other," she pointed out, "okay, so why don't you just unlock me, we go our separate ways and wish each other the best."
I frowned, not realizing that was an actual option for her.
"You think it would be that simple?" I snapped, "just a wish you luck, see you later and that's how you disown your mate."
"Hey, it's worth a try," she shrugged.
"So you would seriously disown me, rip apart your soul and go through the rest of your life with a dark cloud above you?"
Her silence gave me her answer.
"See, your too scared to try it."
"I'm not scared," she snapped, "I've seen the effects of disownin' your mate but honestly, a future of that seems hell of a lot better than one with a Macangus!"
I went to snap but I stopped myself. She was right. My family has brought nothing but pain to hers. Just as I was about to turn away and leave her, I saw a little crack in her metal armour. I decided to break it further.
"Do it," I said, crossing my arms, smugly.
"What?" She frowned.
"Do it, disown me."
She opened her mouth but some how stopped herself. Her whole body froze as silence came upon us.
I chuckled, proud that I was right.
Pointing to the clothes, I said, "they're for you if you get sick of the blanket."
Turning, I took a step before she stopped me, "what about the whole lettin'-me-go-thin'?"
I shook my head, "not yet. I'm not ready to give up."

Allie
The cocky bastard. God, already he thought he could play me like a violin. Well if he thought that, then I was going to break every single one of his fingers. No way in hell was I going to let a Macangus control me or weaken me for that matter.
The prick. He thought that by bringing me a few clothes I would forget everything that made my heart cold and unfeeling. Boy, he was wrong. I would rather only have this blanket than wear -
Snapping sticks caught my attention, making me freeze. My body froze fearing that it was some creep watching me or worse, Anechson or Nicholas.
Maybe I'll just wear the pants. Bending, I scooped up the sweat pants and pulled them on, tying the draw string tight.
They were actually quite comfortable - no, I take it back. They were so uncomfortable and grouse and smelled like him.
I bit my lip, trying to ignore my racing heart.
God, Allie, I groaned at myself, he's just another lad, okay. You've shagged a couple before. Get a hold of yourself. Just think about all the crap his family has done to you.
As my mind started to run through the list, I felt better, feeling the firry ball of anger at the pit of my stomach. If I just continued to think about that list, I knew I would be able to stay strong.
Pulling the blanket tighter around me, I stunk down to the ground. The chains were long enough so that I could cross my arms over my knees and rest my chin on them.
I wanted to go home. I couldn't pretend that my heart didn't ache to be surrounded by the comfort of my family. I mean, I wasn't ready to admit that I missed every single member, but I did miss my sisters and my -
My thoughts were broken when a stick snapped from my right and Lass about my age froze. My confidence was boosted knowing that I was still intimidating to the female race. Annoyed that she had probably come to see the Great Allie Patterson, daughter of the past Alpha King and sister of the present one, I turned away.
When another stick snapped, I frowned and looked in her direction again, I frowned, spying a metal dish with some sort of sludge in it.
"It's okay," I told her, now frustrated that she was scared of me, "I'm not planin' on killin' you. Trust me, I have bigger fish to fry."
First on my list; Hector Macangus.
Second; his stupid cocky brother that was "apparently" my mate.
She got past her fear and walked over to me before kneeling in front of me and offering out the dish. I cringed. Just the smell was enough to make my stomach turn. It was cross between manure and day old road kill. 
"Alpha said that you needed to keep your energy up," she told me, placing the dish in front of me seeing that I wasn't going to take it myself.
I narrowed my eyes at her, annoyed that Hector had sent a woman to do his dirty work.
"Well your alpha knows exactly where he can shove his food," I growled, kicking the dish away.
The Lass swallowed, now scared again. She struggled to keep eye contact with me, revealing her low position in the pack.
I groaned, knowing that it wasn't her fault. I shouldn't be frightening her, I should be trying to convince her to let me go.
"I'm sorry," I said, trying to sound as real as possible, "I just miss my family."
She nodded, understanding. I wanted to smile at how gullible she was. Maybe this plan might work.
"It must be hard," she stated.
I nodded, lowing my gaze to look as vulnerable as I could.
"Look, I can tell that your life here sucks," I started, "what if I told you that I could get you out of here?"
She frowned telling me to explain more, "if you let me out, there will be somethin' in it for you, I promise. My brother, he can accept -."
"No," she said, standing and taking three quick steps away from me, "I can't do that."
"What, of course you can," I egged her on, "just find the key and unlock -."
"He would kill me if I did," she said, almost shocked that I had suggested it.
"I can grant you protection."
She shook her head, "no, you don't know the Alpha like -."
"I bet I know him a lot better than you do," I snarled, growing frustrated that not even a lass like her would help me, "he has ruined my family's life."
"And mine!" She shouted.
I frowned a little shocked. I didn't know if I was stunned by the fact that she yelled, that she thought her family issues were as bad if not worse than mine or that Hector seriously did ruin every life he ever touched.
"Look, even if I wanted to help, I couldn't," she admitted
I frowned, "why not?"
"Because if I do somethin' that upsets him, he'll kill my brother."
Wow, Hector really was a sick son of a bitch.
"Why?" I asked, looking her up and down, "what makes you so special?"
She shrugged and hung her head, "I don't know. I'm weak."
I rolled my eyes, disappointed in her. What ever happened to the feminist movement and the whole men suck and women are awesome thing? How could she lack so much self confidence that she would believe anything that Hector told her? 
"Look, don't believe anything a lad tells you, even if it's your alpha. Your better than him."
She frowned, "but you don't even know me."
I shrugged, "I don't need to. Anyone is better than Hector Macangus."
She scoffed in agreement making me smile. Maybe I did like this lass after all
"I have to go," she said, taking another step back.
Just as I went to ask her again, she shook her head.
"I'm sorry, I've got to -," she didn't finish, just turned and ran in the same direction Nicholas left in.
My stomach grumbled, reminding me that I hadn't eaten since before I was taken. My eyes flicked down to the sludge called dinner, making me cringe. Damn it.