Chapter 23

Chapter 23
Allie
Bang!
I jolted awake at the sound of bombs being dropped. White light flashed across the roof of the tent as the wind roared outside. It took me moments to get my breathing under control, trying to get over my fright.
"Nick," I croaked, still shaking from fear.
When he didn't answer, I reached out for his shoulder, giving it a good shake.
"What?" he moaned, half asleep.
Crack!
I yelped, not ready for it. God, I hated storms.
"Okay, okay," Nick said, appearing from under his blankets, "It's just thunder, it can't hurt you."
I rolled my eyes, "Please, Ma has been tryin' to feed that line to me since I was five. I still argue that it can."
He chuckled, humouring me, "Seriously Allie, thunder is just the sound. It's lightenin' that you have to worry about."
"Not helpin' Nick," I said, making him laugh, "I mean, we're in a tent. Aren't tents like conductors of lightenin'?"
"I think you're thinkin' about fishin' rods and either way, you won't die," he corrected.
"Oh that makes me feel so much better," I said, flinching as lightening lit up the world outside.
"Oh no," I cried, burying myself under the covers that would protect me before covering my ears and singing nursery rhymes.
Crash!
I shuddered the explosion not returning to the surface.
"Shh, Allie," I heard Nick chuckled but I just ignored him.
I had no idea what he was doing until I felt the pillow between us disappear and his strong arms come around me. Air sucked into my lungs when I recognised the feel of his body spooning mine. My body relaxed as I took in his musky scent.
My mind went back to the hot pool – before Jeremy interrupted I mean – remembering the feel of his hands on my body.
Crack!
I jumped three feet high, ducking under the covers again. I had let my guard down. Again! But to hell if I was letting go of Nick. He was my only protection from the lightening God.
"Nick, you better bloody protect me," I warned being deadly serious as I ignored his laughter.
"I promise," he said through his chuckles, "Trust me, it's nothin' to be afraid of."
"Yeah well, I'll believe it when I see it."
He laughed at me again but if I was being honest, it made me feel a little better. There was a tug at my arm before I found myself on my back and Nick climbing on top of me.
Under the covers, it felt like we were the only two people in the world. I know, it's stupid and corny but it was true. It was only me and Nick.
"What you doin'?" I asked before I could stop myself, looking up into Nick's rich brown eyes and spying his cheeky smile.
What did he have plan?
"I'm protectin' you, remember," he stated, though I'm sure it wasn't it.
"Really? What are you really –?"
His familiar lips cut me off. Groaning, I gave in, realizing how much I missed him. I didn't realize how disappointed I was when Jeremy had walked in on us till now. But I had him all to myself now.
"God, I've – missed – you," I admitted, between kisses causing Nick to pull back and look surprise.
"But, I haven't left your side," he said in denial.
"You know, that's not what I mean," I told him, cupping his cheek.
His grin grew, his eyes shined bright. I wanted to tell him so many things. Tell him that I loved his goofy smile and the way he looked at me. My fingers danced on his cheeks and tugged on his bottom lip. His eyes were glued to my lips as his hands tangled themselves in my hair. I swallowed, shifting to get comfortable beneath him. I was no longer focused on the rain outside or the lightening or the thunder. All I was focused on was the man that was on top of me.
"Nick, I –," I cut myself off, too nervous to continue.
Nick frowned but didn't say anything. With a groan, I got a hold of myself, moving my hands down to the bottom of the jumper.
Wiggling, I was able to pull it off me and push it somewhere away from us. Nick sat frozen, not sure of what to do or what he was allowed to do. I sat up on my elbows, pretty much forcing him to look at me.
"W-What are you doin'?" Nick asked, fighting every being in his body.
"I said that I didn't want to be mark," I said, tugging on his lips, "Doesn't mean we can't do other thin's."
With that, I was pinned to the mattress and Nick's lips sucking on my neck. It made me smile to think that he desperately wanted me as much as I wanted him. My hands clawed at his hair as my moans became unison with the thunder from the sky.
Nick's lips kissed their way to my collarbone and down further to the plump of my left breast. I gasped as his teeth clammed down on my nipple. Moans escaped my lips, the simple action sending me hot.
"Nick," I groaned, moving my hands down to his shoulders, "Nick."
I clawed at his back causing him to freeze.
I frowned, opening my eyes, realising that he had stopped kissing me.
"Nick," I said, moving onto my elbows as Nick sat up, looking like a lost puppy, "What's the matter?"
He swallowed, his gaze dropping before he croaked the word, "b-back."
Oh. I didn't realise he had such a problem with it. It was like he was actually scared of my touch.
"Don't you want me to touch it?" I asked, a little confused.
He sucked on his bottom lip, trying to work out what to say.
"It's not that," he admitted, "It's...ugly."
I frowned, "you think your back is ugly?"
He was still before he finally nodded. It broke my heart that he thought that. Those scars were made deeper than I realized. And the worse part was, his father was the one that gave it to him.
"You know what, I'll just put a shirt on," he stated, reaching for the jumper that I had been wearing just moments before.
I snatched it before he could, throwing it further away.
"Oh no you don't. You're not doin' anythin'," I warned him, sitting up and pushing the blankets off us.
He swallowed not being able to look me in the eyes.
"Turn around," I ordered him.
"Allie –."
"Turn around," I demanded, not taking no for an answer.
With a scoff, he did, allowing me to look upon his scared back. The lightening lit up the tent making it visible without the use of my wolf eyes.
Five perfect lines scarred his back from the top of shoulder blades down to the small of his back. Without any control, I traced them, pretending that I was making them with my own nails.
"Can you feel that?" I asked him, wondering just how deep they were.
"Not really. I can't feel anythin' below..." he trailed off when my fingers reach the small of his back and the thickest part of his scars.
As I looked upon them, I had a series of mixed emotions. First sadness that he had to go through so much pain in his life. Second; pride knowing that only a strong person could have survived the things he had been put through. Third; anger, hating Nathair even more, remembering that he had caused this.
The emotions weighed me down, causing me to lean against him for support.
"I could kill Nathair for everythin' he has done to you," I admitted, rubbing my cheek against his skin.
"I could kill him too," he admitted, "And Hector."
"Would you?" I asked, interested.
He had always said that he wouldn't go against his brother as he was the closest thing he had to family. Somewhere inside of me I had respected him for that even if it was Hector he was sticking up for. But now, he didn't have that connection.
"Hector broke any bond we had when he tortured you," he told me.
And then I thought something I never knew I could, it wasn't Hector's fault. He didn't know I was his brother's mate. Wait, was I being compassionate and understanding towards Hector? A unicorn if there ever was one.
"Would you kill him?" I asked him, "I mean, if it came to savin' my life and his. Would you kill him to save me?"
"Aye," he said, "I would."
My heart leaped into my throat making me overwhelmed by his declaration. I don't think anyone – family not included – would kill someone for me, even if that person was one evil bastard.
Wrapping my arms around him, I allowed no space to get between us. It wasn't about sex or want or the fact that we were both half naked. It was just about loving him with nothing else getting in the way.
"Tell me your dream," he asked, changing the subject.
"My dream?"
"Aye, your dream. Everyone must have one."
I struggled to think, knowing that anything that I wanted in the past changed the moment my parents died. But for the sake of the conversation, I pretended that it hadn't changed.
"I've always wanted a big family," I admitted, trying not to pretend that I was probably scaring him.
"Really?" he said surprised, "How many children."
I was a little shocked. Most lads I knew would run a mile when they found out their girlfriend wanted a big family. I mean, I never said that I wanted to have a big family with him. But I guess it was assumed.
"Ah, five," I admitted, getting over my shock, "I mean, there's a chance that I might have twins, so you never know."
"Does it run in the family?" he asked.
"I don't know," I said, "it's not like Graham and I are identical. Maybe."
He chuckled a little, clearly loving the idea.
"What about you?" I asked him, "any dreams?"
He sighed, thinking as well, "Faol Fonn. I know it's impossible but I had always thought about reclaimin' my home, my pack. But even if there was a chance, I couldn't because of Hector."
"Why?" I asked.
"It's rightfully his. The only way I could get it is if I kill Hector and, well, Callum, I guess. And I'm too weak to do any of those thin's."
My grip around him tightened, wishing that I could fulfil that dream for him. Callum technically owned Faol Fonn though I'm sure he hadn't used it or given it to another pack to manage.
Like I'm sure my dream had played on his mind, his played on mind. Would I have the courage to leave my home and be with Nick at Faol Fonn if Callum agreed to give it us? I mean, forgetting the bit that Callum didn't even know that I had found my mate or the fact that he was the brother of his worst enemy.
His chuckles stopped my thoughts, making me frown.
"Why are you laughin'?" I asked.
"Nothin', it's just we're talkin' about children and places we want to live and we haven't even slept together."
I snickered with him too, trying to ignore my burning cheeks.
Wanting to get past my embarrassment, I said, "Well, you have seen me naked...how many times?"
He chuckled, trying to contain his cheeky smile.
"Most of the time it was to save your life," he defended, making me giggle against his back.
"You have saved my life a lot haven't you?" I asked, teasing him.
He sighed, dramatically, "Aye, it's been exhaustin' too. I don't know how you would have survived without me."
"I don't know," I confidently said, "I would have wooed them over. Or you know, deafen them with demands."
He chortled trying to contain his laughter.
"What about thunder?" he asked.
I gasped, jabbing him in the stomach for punishment. He chuckled at my suspense making my hunger for revenge grow. Using all my strength, I through him to the bed, quickly mounting on top of him. Naturally, my lips went to his neck, biting and kissing as hard as I could.
"Allie," he groaned, "Allie."
I pulled back and looked into his face. His fingers danced on my cheek as his eyes took in every facial feature. His eyes shined as he looked at me, seeing apart me that I thought was long gone. Apart of me that wanted to dream and hope for a different future. A part of me that was made to nurture not kill. And a part of me that wanted to love instead of hate.
"How did I ever get to be so lucky?" he asked himself, not expecting an answer from me.
"I wouldn't say that," I said, ignoring what I truly wanted to say, "We're no way near the clear."
"I know," he admitted, "But for tonight we are. And after everythin' I think we deserve it."
I nodded in agreement, "So, we have tonight and then we fight tomorrow."
"We try to at least," he confessed, "Thin's are goin' to be a lot harder, I'm not goin' to lie. Everyone suspects that there's somethin' between us, includin' Hector. It's not goin' to be long till he finds out the truth."
"And Jeremy knows," I reminded him.
He nodded, "Aye, and though he has given me his word, I'm sure he'll tell Hector when he's feelin' spiteful."
"Hector's not stupid," I said, "If he suspected, he would have killed me by now."
"Maybe that's his plan," Nick suggested.
I remained silent, trying not to scare myself that tomorrow I might be tortured because Nick and I weren't careful.
"Listen," Nick said, regaining my attention, "I gave you my word that I would get you back to your family and I'm not goin' to go back on that. But we both need to be ready when Hector decides to attack."
"How can we be ready?" I asked him, "You can't always be here, protectin' me. Believe it or not, but you have a position in the pack and you not doin' your duty isn't goin' to help us in anyway."
He sighed thinking. I was just about to make another argument when he reached underneath his pillow and pulled out a red pocket knife.
"Then take this," he said, placing it in the palm on my hand and curling my fingers around it, "It won't kill him but maybe if you stab him enough times it might slow him down enough."
"A knife, really?" I asked, in disbelief, "I think I would do more damage with my claws."
"Aye, he would expect you to use them that's why you need to use this," he told me, almost begging me with his eyes, "Promise me, promise me Allie that you will keep this close to you."
I nodded, leaning over to hide it under my pillow.
"I promise," I told him, "I'll put it in my pants pocket tomorrow."
He nodded, accepting it.
"Now come and get some sleep," he finally said, rolling us both onto our sides so that we were spooning.
Somehow, I felt like I wouldn't sleep at all tonight. And it had nothing to do with the thunder.