Chapter 14

Chapter 14
Allie
I woke to soft warm air blowing in my face. Small groans whimpered from my lips as my whole body ached in protest, still sore from yesterday's abuse. My eyes refused to open, still wanting to catch up on the sleep that I had missed.
The memory of Nick's shaking body flooded my mind as I started to remember. How many times had I seen that look before? Too many. Seen the fear on my brothers' faces too often. I had never felt my heart race so fast when I realized what was happening. I had seen my sisters go through the same thing when they had watched their mates loose control.
Liv had risked her own life to keep Callum, Callum in his wolf's body. Tarna had kissed Malcolm to stop him loosing control. I choice to use my smell.
I swallowed remembering how Nick had touched me. Nobody had ever held me like that. So gently, as if I was the most precious thing on earth to him. My wolf stirred, fascinated with the idea that I was breathing his air, taking in his breath.
I was sure that I was going to kiss him. If it had been anybody else, I would have. But everything was different with him. And it wasn't because he was Nicholas Macangus or because I didn't want to. It was just because everything with him seemed...I didn't even know the words. Not special, not important, just...different. It wasn't bad. I just didn't know if it was good.
Slowly, I opened my eyes and realized what the air was. Sometime during the night, Nick and I had rolled over and now we shared the pillow that was supposed to be a barrier between us.
I don't know why, but I had never really taken in his features, not properly anyway.
His brown scrappy hair that was all messy from a restless sleep. I bit my lip, my eyes glued to his stubbles over his upper lip, chin and strong cheekbones. God, stubbles were so sexy, I couldn't deny it. His pale pink lips were slightly opened as he slept, his eyelids hiding those dark brown eyes.
I sighed, a part of me aching. I didn't know what was wrong with me. Why did I always choose the wrong lads? I think this was a new record for me and that was saying something.
When my brothers found out that I was sleeping with a vampire they went off their nuts. Even Callum. What would they say when they found out that my mate is Nick Macangus? They'll kill him, probably.
I didn't know what is was? Was it a way of punishing my brothers for something unknown? Was it to get back at the Gods for taking my parents away? I honestly didn't know.
As I thought about it, I wondered if Nick was the wrong lad for me. If I could forget about our family's past, wasn't he a good match for me? If I had asked myself that even just yesterday, I would have slapped myself. I should really slap myself now. But slowly, I was beginning to realize that I had never felt so...settled.
Nick's moan stopped my thoughts as his eyes slowly opened.
"Your awake," he mumbled, sounding more asleep than awake.
"More than you, apparently," I teased.
He huffed, the only reaction I could get out of him.
I bit my lip trying to stop myself from asking what his dream was about. But if the past had taught me anything, I never keep my mouth shut.
"So," I started, "are you goin' to tell me about your dream?"
At my question, his eyes shot opened. Once he realized what I had asked, he sat up and looked away from me. He played with his fingers, trying to work a way around the question.
Putting two-and-two together, I asked, "does it have somethin' to do with your back -?"
"Not everythin' is about my back, okay," he snapped, surprising me a little.
I just shook it off, like it meant nothing.
"Okay, then. What was it about?" I asked again, watching him turn his head away.
When he still didn't answer, I wondered if it was because he believed I lived some sort of sheltered life. In a way, it interested me. Not many people saw me as sheltered.
And as that thought started to soften me, I shook it away.
"You know, I can take it," I told him, "if it was about some pass kill then I understand."
"It wasn't like that," he muttered, not looking at me.
"Then what?" I snapped, before I could stop myself.
Like a dear, my sudden shout caused him move off the bed and over to his desk. My frustration only seem to grow. Now he's tryin' to run away?
"Why are you avoidin' my questions?" I asked, no longer being nice, as I stood beside the bed.
"Because, Allie, you've already made your mind up about me so I don't think you knowin' my darkest moments is goin' to help," he snapped, finally looking at me.
I crossed my arms and stood my ground. No way in hell was I going to let him offend me or scare me for that matter.
I watched as he closed his eyes, sighed and turned back around, clearly sorry for his out burst of anger. My wolf stirred inside of me, angry that I had upset him.
Who's side are you on? I wanted to growl at the bitch. Honestly, it's like every female on this planet was against me.
Just as I was about to get caught up in that, something caught my eyes. The sudden shaking of Nick's hand as he struggled to stable himself. He was still under the effects of the dream.
Taking careful steps towards him and I reminded myself that he would snap at any moment. His body froze once I was two feet away from him, turning the atmosphere from hostile to tense in seconds. Reaching out, I took his shaking hand in mine. I bit my lip, not understanding why my heart was racing, somehow loving the feel of his ruff and callus hand against mine.
"You need to stop," he whispered, taking back his hand.
I snapped out of my trance and frowned, "what? What am I doin'?"
"Your sendin' mixed messages," he answered, taking a step back.
I scoffed, offended and once again annoyed. To my surprise, it was because he was saying no to me. What the hell was wrong with me?
Quickly covering, I snapped, "up yourself much. Just because I hold your hand and hug you last night, doesn't mean I'm hittin' on you, alright?"
"Okay, what does it mean?" He asked, crossing his arms and having that look in his eyes that told me that he didn't believe a word I said.
"I'm bein' nice," I went with, "you helped me yesterday so I'm just repayin' the favour."
He snickered, shaking his head in disappointment, "it will kill you to tell the truth, won't it?"
"Actually, it's the truth that gets me into trouble," I admitted, as if some-what-proud.
He snickered and shook his head again. I let him go, knowing that it was far too early for a second argument.
"Ah, your arm," Nick said, changing the subject as he gestured to my arm.
I had almost forgot. Pulling up my jumper sleeve, I assessed my healed wound that was no longer being held by thread.
"Your goin' to need to cut them."
And just as a smartass comment entered my head, I swallowed. Cutting the stitched involved cutting small parts of skin in the process. And cutting skin meant...blood.
"Allie, earth to Allie," Nick called, clicking his fingers in front of my eyes.
I snapped out of my trance, swallowing the bitter taste in my mouth.
"Right, cuttin'," I started, trying to cover my little moment.
But Nick apparently wasn't stupid. He frowned, taking a step forward.
"If you want me to do -."
"Why would I want you to do that?" I asked, defensive.
He shrugged, "I don't know, maybe because you look -."
"Look, what?" I asked.
"I don't know. Scared."
"I am not scared!" I yelled before I could stop myself, shocking him, "you know, maybe I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea."
I turned for an escape but he snatched my arm, keeping me in place.
"Hey," he said softly, "I explained that to you. I admitted what I wanted last night, that I want a future with you even if it is impossible. So, I'm not goin' to allow you to play with my mind."
I swallowed, feeling offended once again. Now he was calling me one of the lasses that lead lads on. The sad part was that I had been known to do that.
Hating myself enough already this morning, I pulled out of his grip and took three steps back.
Nick's face softened, knowing that he had hurt me. I knew he felt terrible. Good. I hoped he hated himself. Because not many lads had insulted me as many times as he had and lived to tell the tale.
Sighing, he gestured to the bed, "just sit down, I'll do it."
I swallowed and took three steps back.
"Y-your goin' to do it. Like w-with a knife," I said, trying to ignore my stutter.
He frowned, "what's the matter with you?
"I-I just don't think it's a good idea. I mean, how about they just, stay in there," I suggested slowly backing away as Nick took a step forward.
"Allie, they have to come out," he told me.
"But why? Who are they hurtin' really?" I asked, feeling very much trapped.
"Allie, sit down," he ordered, making me jump when I felt the soft mattress at my carves.
When I saw the pocket knife in Nick's hand, I panicked and gave in.
"Okay, okay, I have a little thin' with blood," I admitted, the bitter taste returning to my mouth.
He frowned, slightly taking a step back, "your afraid of blood?"
"I didn't say that," I pointed out, "I said I have a little thin' with it."
"Like what?" He asked, clearly seeing through my lie.
"Like I..." I paused, "I don't like lookin' at it, okay?"
"But..." He paused, "you stitched yourself up yesterday?"
"Very poorly and that was different."
"How?"
Crap, I didn't know how.
"B-because, I had some idiot forcin' me to," I snapped.
"I would have done it if you were scared -."
"I'm not scared!" I snapped again, surprising him.
"Okay, okay," he said, trying to calm me as a small grin started to appear on his lips, "just sit down."
I ignored him, determined not to do as I'm told.
"Allie, they have to come out."
Not what I wanted to hear.
"H-how about -,"
I froze when my arse hit the mattress.
"Just lie down," he told me, "It'll be over before you know it."

Nick
I couldn't believe it. Allie Patterson was terrified of blood - sorry, had a thing with it. So she said. But I knew what fear looked like and she was it. Pale, shaking, eyes larger than apples. Tick, tick and tick.
"Just lie down. It'll be over before you know it," I told her, an attempt to calm her.
"Yeah, I but that's what rapists say," she snapped, her eyes glued to my pocket knife.
I bit my lip, trying not to laugh at her. God, she was truly petrified.
Remaining focused, I cupped her shoulders and lowered myself so that I was eye-level with her. My hands rubbed her upper arms, trying to calm her down.
"Allie, lie down," I told her again.
She swallowed, turning a shade white.
I frowned, "I still don't understand how you could have stitched yourself up but not be able to do this."
"I don't know, it was a life o-or death situation," she admitted, her voice barely loud enough to hear, "look, if you can do it where it doesn't hurt me then...I'll do it."
"I promise, I'll do my best."
She paused, trying to see if I was lying. I wasn't. So with a groan, she lied down. A small chuckle came from my lips, knowing that I had won an argument.
Climbing on the bed, I took Allie's right arm and rolled up her sleeve to reveal a very dodgy stitching. A smirk spread across my lips finding her try funny. She couldn't even stitch properly. She truly wasn't perfect like she clearly thought she was.
"Turn your head away," I told her.
She did with a little whimper, more proof of her fear if proof was needed.
I smile, running my thumb up the stitch, trying to get her comfortable with my touch. My thumb began to feel numb at the continual touch and I had to stop before I got carried away.
Taking in a deep breath, I opened up the knife. Allie flinched under my touch, hearing the little click. Bringing the blade to first stitch, I gently cut it. She flinched again, but didn't move. With each cut stitch, I gained more confidence and Allie became more relaxed. It wasn't long till they were all cut, leaving behind a zigzagged scar with dots along the side. Putting my knife away, I started to rub my thumb over the scar. It disappeared like there was nothing even there.
Backing away, I said, "it's done."
She shot up, assessing her arm.
"It's gone," she yelled, shocked.
I bit my lip, trying not to laugh at her.
"How did you do that?" She demanded.
I shrugged, "a trick of the trade."
"No, seriously. That's the second time you've done that. How did you know to do that?" She asked, as if the answer I would give her was the answer to all her problems.
I shrugged, "around here, sometimes you don't have enough time for even super healin' to save you. So, there's a few tricks to make it happen faster."
"This is apart of the whole I live in a dangerous world thin',"
I nodded.
"I want to see it."
I frowned. She had said it so out of the blue that I didn't believe that I had heard her right.
"What?"
"I want to see it."
"But, why?"
She shrugged, "you keep sayin' that it's this dangerous place that if I walked outside that tent, I'm most likely not goin' to come back."
"Yeah."
"So, put your money where your mouth is. Prove to me that it's a dangerous place."