8

E L S A

It's been a week since Jack found about my cutting. I haven't done it since then. Jack has been by my side ever since, keeping Melissa from hurting me. I've also planned out my suicide, deciding that it will be the last week of school, three months from today. The only thing that will keep me from doing it is if my life does a full circle and becomes happy, which I doubt it will.

I haven't heard from my dad which is good. I don't want to face him after what he has done. I'm always jumpy and scared around Jack and Anna. He has ruined everything for me. I can't hang out with anyone all because I'm scared of human interaction.

"Hey Els? You ready?" Jack asked from the doorway. I nodded and grabbed my school bag and walked out to the car. We dropped Jack's sister off as usual and drove to school. Jack parked and we walked into the building and found our friends. I've become really close with the girls. Anna is happy that I have made some friends and get to hang out with her more, and I am too. I missed my little sister.

"Hey Elsa!" Punz shouted once she caught sight of me. She ran and gave me a hug saying how much she missed me.

"You saw me yesterday." I said laughing.

"I know! But I miss talking to you all the time."

"Nah. I don't. I find her anoyin'." Merida said laughing as she gave me a hug too. I knew she was joking so I hugged her back.

The four of us had a nice conversation before the bell rang disrupting Anna telling a funny story from when we were little.

"Awe man! I want to know what happens next." Merida said, pouting a little.

"That will have to wait till lunch my dear friend!" Anna said and scurried off with Kristof to her class. Jack came to my side and said bye to the girls and headed to class.

Mr. Snow greeted us as we walked in. He is liking how I can make Jack show up on time. This caused him to be more happy and give us less work which everyone likes.

The bell rang for class to start and Mr. Snow started talking about a project that we would need to complete with a partner. He instructed the class to pair up with the person sitting next to them. Jack looked over to me and smiled, happy with the arrangements.

Mr. Snow dismissed us and everyone started working, small commentary rising through the room. Jack and I worked diligently for thirty minutes before Jack left to use the bathroom. I continued working, but was soon distracted by something hitting my head.

I looked up to see Melissa staring at me and giggling with her minions. I looked back at my desk to see the paper she threw at me. I picked the crinkled sheet up, unfolding it so I was able to read it.

Meet behind the gym after school today. I thought I told you to stay away from Jack. You should have listened to me the first time.

I looked up from the piece of paper and saw the three girls glaring at me, an evil look in their eyes.

I shoved the paper in my bag and got back to work. Jack got back and tried talking about the project but I was too consumed in my thoughts.

"Hey, you okay?" Jack asked me.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I said, smiling back at him. He looked me in the eyes for a moment before turning back to the project. We sat and talked about how we were going to put together the project for another half hour. I looked out the window for a moment to gather my thoughts when I heard a soft thump and Melissa screaming at Mr. Snow.

"Mr. Snow!! Elsa threw a ball of paper at me!"

Jack looked at her like she was crazy. "No she didn't you liar!"

"Alright, alright! Elsa, can I speak with you outside for a moment?" Mr. Snow said walking out the door. I followed him out and he shut the door quietly. We stood in silence for a moment before he broke the silence.

"I know you didn't do anything. I just wanted to ask you if anything is going on?"

I shook my head, scared if I said anything, it would all come spilling out.

"I can tell you're hiding something, but you don't have to tell me anything you don't want to. Just know that I'm not a scary old man and you can tell me anything."

I laughed a little at Mr. Snow's comment and he smiled. "I've never seen you smile like that."

I blushed a little and looked at my feet.

"Why don't you go to the bathroom and clean up a bit? Take all the time you need." Mr. Snow said and walked back into the classroom. I walked to the bathroom and splashed some water on my face. I grabbed both sides of the sink and looked in the mirror. I took a moment to study my appearance. I looked like a mess with my hair sticking out in many directions from my bun, my make up was smeared a little, and my eyes just looked dull and lifeless. My mind wandered into a dark place and before I could stop myself, I took my shoe off and found the blade I keep hidden. I rolled up my sleeve and drew the blade across my skin a couple of times, before cleaning it off and putting it back in my shoe. I cleaned up my arm and the sink, making sure I hadn't missed anything, and walked out of the bathroom. I walked back into class and pulled my sleeves over my hands to make sure no one could see my arm.

"You okay?" Jack asked as I sat back down to finish up the project.

"Never better." I replied with a fake smile.