15

E L S A

I woke up the next morning with an intense pain shooting from my leg, and an empty spot next to me. I opened my eyes to jack not being in the room.

I flipped back over and stared at the ceiling. I thought I was doing okay. I thought everything was going to get better. I've tried for so long to be happy again, but when I get the chance, something ruins it.

I reached over towards my phone and turned it on. Once it was on, messages started coming through. There were two messages frown yesterday and one from this morning.

Jack: okay. Sleep well. We should be back soon.

Anna: hey sis! I brought you back some ice cream. It's in the freezer. You can eat it whenever:) love you

Jack: hey! You looked really tired this morning so I let you sleep. We can talk once I'm back from school. Love you<3

I smiled slightly at the message. I decided to get up and put on some comfy clothes. I slowly got out of bed and grabbed some sweatpants and a loose tank top. I limped to the bathroom and closed the door. I took off my pyjamas and inspected my wounds.

There are several bruises across my torso as well as on my legs. My arms luckily aren't bruised but the gash in my leg looked gross. I cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol and put some cream on it before wrapping a bandage around it. I slipped on my clothes before heading out of the bathroom and going downstairs.

I was the only one home since Anna, Jack, and his sister were at school and Jack's mom was at work. I made my way to the fridge and got out an orange from the drawer and slowly ate it, still getting the hang of eating food again. Once I was done I threw away the peelings and sat on the couch in the living room. I cuddled in a blanket and stared out the window.

I spent the rest of the day thinking. I didn't move from that spot. I just sat and thought about life. How I was never going to be happy. How everyone hates me. How horrible of a person I am. I thought about my suicide plan. I hadn't thought so deeply about it since I wrote it down. But now that I was sitting in an empty house, alone, broken, I can't help but feel numb as I decide on following through with my plan.

I was so deep in thought that I didn't hear the the door open and Jack walk into the room.

"Hey Elsa" Jack said. He gave me a confused look when I didn't reply. It wasn't until he was sat down beside me, waving a hand in front of my face, when I finally looked at him.

"Oh. Hey Jack."

"Are you alright?" He asked, picking up one of my hands to hold. I faked a smile and nodded.

"Yeah. Just deep in thought. Hey, where is Anna and your sister?" I asked changing the subject.

"Okay then. Well, Anna is at Kristof's house working on some school project and Lucy is over at a friends house." Jack said, clearly not convinced by my answer.

"Oh. That's nice." I said before looking out the window again. The sky was so pretty. There were only a couple fluffy white clouds in the sky as the space around them was slowly changing from blue to pink. Its was gorgeous. I wish I could watch the sky all day, and not have to worry about life. I wish I was a cloud. I could just roll in the wind all day without a care in the world as to where I was going or what I was doing. I could just be free.

"Elsa?" Jack said. I ignored him this time, wanting to enjoy the view.

"Elsa." He said again, but this time he grabbed my chin and turned me to face towards him. We locked eyes and I couldn't read the emotion in his eyes.

"Is there something you're not telling me?"

I just shook my head, not trusting my voice.

"Elsa, please tell me what's on your mind. You seem distant, and lost. I don't want you to feel like that. I want you to tell me everything, no matter how small or big the problem may be."

I couldn't hold it in any longer. Jack's words were what I needed and now all I needed was to let all my emotions out. I cried into Jack's chest while he rubbed tiny circles into my back.

It was about 10 minutes of my sons echoing through the room. Once I was calm, I pulled away from Jack, looking straight into his eyes. I couldn't help but feel an instant connection. I knew he felt it too because we both lunged towards each other and captured our mouths together in a passionate and emotional kiss. We didn't break away from each other until we needed to breathe.

Once we pulled away Jack held my face in his hands.

"Tell me what's on your mind. Please." He said with tears in his eyes. I nodded and he let go of my face. I looked down at my hands before speaking.

"Well. Um. You see. Yesterday, after school, that wasn't me who texted you. It was Melissa. She somehow got my phone and told you guys not to wait up. So, while I was on my way to your car, I was dragged into a janitors closet by Melissa. She, um, s-she beat me up and left me in there afterwards. I managed to get home. But it took a while. She told me she wanted me dead."

Jack hugged me carefully. I hugged him back but felt guilty for leaving out the actual attempted murder part. We sat like that for the the next half hour.

"Elsa?" Jack said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry." Jack said.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked confused.

"Because I'm a horrible person. I should have waited for you. I should have known something was wrong." Jack started shaking and all I could do was hold him and whisper 'it's okay' against his shoulder. Once he was calm he pulled away and stood up.

"Come on. Let's get some sleep."

He held out his hand and pulled me up as I grabbed it. I quietly winced at the movement but made sure it wasn't noticeable. Luckily, Jack walked slowly up the stairs so he didn't notice me limping.

We both hopped into bed and cuddled with each other until we fell asleep to the sounds of each others heartbeats.

Sorry for the longish wait. I've been busy with recital and dance camp. I will do my best to get up at lest two more chapters before I go back to school:)! Love you guys.

~Kait