Abrupt Departure

• Dedicated to Australian's Everywhere! happy Australia Day!

A/N Dear Pioneering Comenters and Ghost Readers, i'm trying very hard to keep writting this, i think this may just be one of the longest stories i've ever written to be uploaded, and i'm even willing to get it finished....though that probably won't happen for a while.... Bear with me for a while okay eager readers. I would also like to point out, just for a couple of concerned readers, i am totally sane..... I think :) Read, Fan, Comment, Vote, whatevs........................ Enjoy SkyRed :D

Jamie POV

Dark clouds rolled through the sky, flashes of light comming and going with loud booms of thunder. I stared through the glass, watching as fat drops of rain pelted against the ground, watching as the wind picked up, pushing it up against the house. I watched as rivolts of water flowed down my window, accompying the pings as the rain hit the glass.

It was barely morning, but i couldn't sleep. Something had kept me awake, i just wasn't aware of what yet. I strained my ears when i heard the sound of wardrobe doors being shut softly. It wasn't unusual to hear odd sounds at this time in the morning, it was just uncommon, and as it was uncommon it automatically had my attention. Realy there shouldn't have been a single sound, everyone should be in their beds asleep, and if they weren't they would usually head towards the kitchen.

I turned away from the window and crept towards my door. I listened as i heard the soft shuffling of clothes, and the almost non-existent sound of pattering feet. If all of my senses weren't sharpened i wouldn't have heard them. I didn't risk opening my door and being caught, instead i sat down on the floor and concentrated all of my senses on what was happening below me.

Doors opening and clossing, recently oiled hinges swinging open and closed, swishing the air around the doors.The smell of dust being lifted into the air, as it was unsettled, becoming more noticable now that it was closer to the nose. Zippers opening and closing as various objects were packed away neatly or shoved into any available spot. I could feel small vibrations through my hands and legs that were firmly planted on the ground, the movement of the vampires causing small tremors to run through the walls and floor.

There was a sudden flurry of movement and a stronger sound of feet moving swiftly through the house. Suddenly there was nothing, just the soft, almost inaudible sound of the lock on the front door clossing. I quietly stood up and made my way to the window. I stood back and watched as the shadows of bodies moved swiftly through the downpour. Invisble to the naked eye, as they ran into the forest ending their stay early.

 I sat down on my bed, i didn't know what this could possibly mean. Vampires would never just leave a social event, especially if it was invitation only. Either they had left because they had gained something valuable they had wanted, or they were leaving for safety. It was considered an insult if your guests left before the host deemed the gathering over, and insults are never taken lightly in vampire culture. Something like this could start a war, it's not like it hadn't before. Infact, one of the biggest vampire wars was caused when one coven leader insulted the dress wear of another.

 I shook my head as i thought of my mothers reaction. Really anything could happen when she finds out. I knew the repercussions of this would affect me, how i wasn't sure yet.

I lied on my bed, trying not to think. Every thing can be ignored for a little while if i just let my mind go blank, and disconect from my body for a while. Let my mind block everything real; my parents, the strange departure of the vamps, my brothers, the threat from Angelo and Vince, Liz, school, my next 'lesson'. The sun rose up into the sky, overcast by clouds. I made my way down the stairs for breakfast.

When i reached the table, all the wolves seated were silent. Deadly silent. Antonio and Markus were seated already, I lowered my head and made my way to my seat. Just as i went to sit in my seat her voice called me. "James!" i stood straight and looked up, my eyes breifly passing hers before i lowered myself to show my respect. I ran through every thing in my mind, was there anything i had possibly done wrong, there was nothing that she could possibly have found out. Angelo and Vince entered the room, bowing their heads in respect they sat in there seats, their eyes moving around the room, taking in everything.

"Jamie!" called Mother, i could tell that she wasn't happy. I stood tall and met her eyes, "It has come to my attention that our guests have departed earlier than expected" i nodded once, it was then that Luca and Steffan entered the room, quickly they too took to their seats. The room was silent, all watching Mother, all watching this exchange between the two of us.

"I would like you to search their accomodations for any clues that could inform us of their ubrupt departure, if anything is found you are to report to me" she then turned on her heel, her velvet cloak billowing out behind her. I stood in place till i was sure she was gone. I turned and sat back at the table.

The other wolves began eating, my brothers turned to look at me. "What is going on?" asked Antonio, i swallowed quickly, "Our guests have left during the night, at this moment we are unsure why. Mother is unhappy because she never declared the gathering over and has seen their leaving as an insult, naturaly she needs to know why they left" I picked up my fork and began eating again, it also din't help that my mother was trying to gain their trust and alliance.

Mother's reaction to their departure ammused me more than it should have, their departure has clearly messed with her derranged plans of taking over the vampire community. She is after all slowly picking off the more elite and powerful vampires. Inviting the select vampires to our estate here had clearly been her forming new aliances and agreements. It was quite amussing watching as Mother and I played them right into her hands.