Chapter Twenty Nine

Dad: I thought I saw your face in the news, but I had no idea it was that bad.

C: It was. And it still is. I'm thinking about laying low for a while, until the fans have calmed down. Right now I'm their number one enemy, I can't even do my job properly.

Dad: So, are you staying here in New York or what?

C: Um, no. I'm actually going back to London after the holidays.

Dad: Why? Why would you do that? Stay here. It'll be like a perfect getaway.

C: I can't.

Dad: It's because of Zayn, isn't it? You two really like each other.

C: Why would I run away now? I mean, he jeopardized his career for me, it's only fair I do the same.

Dad: I don't quite see it that way, but it's your decision. I trust that you know what you're doing.

C: I know what I'm doing, dad.

I hugged my dad and he left our town house and went to his company. I had nothing to do with myself as the maid already emptied my suitcase and put all my stuff in the closet. I was looking forward to the holidays, knowing that they'd provide the much needed distraction that I've been craving.

I took the phone out of my pocket to check for new texts. There were none. I knew there would be none. If I had gotten new texts I would've have known. My phone wasn't on silent.

Why is he not calling me back?

Just as I decided to call him myself, Zayn's name popped up on the screen.

I was just about to call you.

Sorry I was stuck in an important meeting.

It's okay. Um, I just wanted to say I've arrived. I'm home.

Good. Listen, I still have some stuff to do but I'm coming over tonight.

I'll text you the address. See ya later.

Bye.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I ended the call. Was it just me or was Zayn acting a little weird lately?

I went to the kitchen to fix myself a sandwich when my phone rang again. Hastily I answered it, not checking the caller ID.

Hello?

Hey Chloe, I hope it's okay I called. Jo gave me your new number.

Liz? Is that you?

Yeah, sorry. I heard you're back.

More like I checked the news and got hella curious.

Yes. You know, for the holidays.

eah, that's what I meant. Listen we should hang out some time.

Um, I don't know, Liz. I'll call you. I'm quite busy.

If you're hesitating because of Elle, don't worry. We stopped talking to each other a while ago.

What happened? Not that it's any of my business. I was just wondering.

Actually I'm dying to know what made you realize she's a fake bitch!