Chapter Twelve - Part 2

My phone vibrated in my hand and I quickly checked it.

C: Sorry, Eleanor. I gotta answer this.

El: Please. Go ahead.

Hey Adam! What's up?

Can you come by the agency? There's something we need to discuss.

Okay. You want me to come in now? I'm nearby.

No, now's a bad time. Jo's busy. How about 6pm?

Fine, I'll be there. Bye!

C: Well, that was awkward.

El: Is everything okay?

C: Yeah, just gotta swing by my agency later.

El: We need to be back at the hotel by 7. That's when the boys head over to the arena.

C: No problem.

El: So, where are we heading now? Are we going to meet designers?

Well, I am. Not so sure about you!

C: A go-see is nothing more than a job interview. Designers expect models to pop up at all times. Especially now that New York Fashion Week is around the corner.

El: But Fashion Week isn't until...

C: ...September 5th, I know. Most of the designers are still looking for models. That's why they're already here.

El: Oh, now I get it. They basically wait for models to show up so they can book them.

C: Exactly. You go to their studios, they look at your photos, and write down your number in case they want to contact you. 

The car stops abruptly in front of an old victorian style building.

Driver: Miss, we're here.

C: Thank God, you have a local driver!

We laughed and got out of the car. There were models all over the place. Once we got to the 4th floor, we couldn't see anything, it was full of girls waiting to be called in. I looked back to make sure Eleanor was still behind me.

C: And this is where the fun part begins! You might wanna sit somewhere, it's only 12.30, it's gonna be a long day.

5 hours later...

El: I had no idea you could go to so many designers in only 5 hours!

C: That's what it's about. To be seen by as many designers as possible in a short amount of time.

El: So how many jobs did you get?

C: Let's see. There's 4 for New York and 3 for Milan. And two more for London. 

El: What about Paris? I've always wanted to go see a show during Paris Fashion Week.

C: Paris is a tough nut to crack. I haven't had the privilege to walk a runway show in Paris. But it's definitely on my bucket list.

I tried to sound nonchalant, but the truth is I was mad at the world that I couldn't land one job in Paris in the last five years. Just one lousy job. That's all I'm asking for!

El: I think we need a game plan! Starbucks?

C: That's a great game plan!

I smiled. This girl is definitely growing on me. I was so wrong about her! She's really awesome!