Chapter Twenty-Eight

We walked in just as the school bell rang. Eyes followed us. Kimberly leaned against my locker eyeing Red warily. "Come on," she whispered. Nodding sluggishly, I turned away. She's no one now. I repeated this over and over. Yet my nerves were still on fire. The hall was filled with silence. The only sound was our footsteps echoing. I guess seeing someone who was once popular become a ghost is a sight most don't expect. Although I'm not a ghost the wide-eyed pale look I receive suggests otherwise. 

My heart pounded against my chest. "Relax, we're almost to class," Red chided. "Abi! Abigail!" Furrowing my brows, I turned around. Joey ran towards us. His hair bouncing up and down, falling onto his red face. "Abi," he breather. Gasping for breath he looked at me. Biting my lip, I waited. Regaining his composure, he said, "Abigail." Resisting the urge to roll my eyes, I prompted, "yes?"

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry. Kimberly and I we abandoned you. Look, I'm supposed to tell you-" "Stop," I said cutting him off. "I don't care. I don't want to hear it. Leave. Now," I told him. His mouth hung agape. "Come on," I whispered to Red. Nodding slightly, we turned in unison and walked away.

"What was that about," she asked once he was out of sight. "Nothing, nothing." Red contorted her face but said nothing. In silence ,we entered the class as the bell rang. Not a single student was inside. The teacher looked up in shock. "Why are you here," he asked. "Excuse me?" "Isn't today senior ditch day," he questioned. "No, I don't think so. We just saw several other seniors," I said. "They were most likely making sure every senior left," he stated. 

"I think that's what Joey was trying to tell you," Red whispered into my ear. "Look, I would rather have time off so I will close my eyes and when I open them, you'll be gone. Okay," he said. Nodding we watched him close his eyes. Grabbing Red's arm we ran out. The air pushed our hair behind us. The hallways were now empty. We giggled as we pushed through the doors. The fresh air filled our lungs. Smiling, we looked around. "Ready," I asked. "Mhmm." Once more we took off. Interlocking our arms I led her to away from the school and towards the woods near my house. 

Walking now, I led her a long my hidden path. Within a few minutes, we reached a river. "What's this," she asked. "My spot. Once you enter the water it's several feet deep. And over there," I said pointing towards a rock across the river. "Is perfect for sun bathing," I finished.