Chapter Fifteen

Though I'm still under surveillance, my mother has decided it's fitting for me to return to school. Now here I am, before the mirror, watching a shell of a girl. The pieces slowly falling back to into place, but this time the puzzles different. Pieces changed. I am not the same, I've come to accept this, but my family has not. 

My eyes swept over my outfit, a simple black summer dress. With one last glance at the mirror, I headed downstairs. As I drew closer, I heard mothers voice. High pitched, and worried, yet eerily calm. While still out of sight I tucked myself into a corner.

"I know, I know. John listen to me." Annoyance filled her voice.

........

"It's not a good time. She's been through a lot."

....

"I don't even want her in school. You talked me into it. She's too damaged. Abigail needs someone to watch her. "

......

"I'm not. You haven't seen her. This has changed her. She's acting different. She just needs to go back into the mold of her past self, before this."

.....

"John-"

.....

"John. This isn't happening. She'll be here any minute."

....

"I swear to god if you do anything, I'm shipping her off to boarding school."

....

"I don't care that she's graduating."

....

"It doesn't matter that she's turning eighteen today."

....

"She's my daughter. WHile she lives under my roof, she does as I say."

....

"Goodbye John," she said angrily.

I gasped. The thought of my birthday had slipped from my mind. I leaned against the wall, slightly shaken at my mother's hostility. Taking in shaky breaths, I attempted to calm myself. After a few moments, I entered. Giving a feeble smile, I headed for the door. 

"Happy birthday honey," my mother said sweetly. Resisting the urge to gag, I stopped. "Thanks," I said in an oddly calm voice. How could she act like that never happened? How can she go from a conversation like that into such a calm state, though her appearance said otherwise. Her hair was in knots, the eye bags had only grown, and now wrinkles had appeared on her forehead.

"Who's John," I asked cautiously. Mothers eyes bolted upwards meeting mine. Alarm flicker throughout them. "What," she croaked. "John," I repeated. "I heard you yell his name while upstairs." "Oh," she sighed at my lie. "Just a-uh friend, yeah friend." I raised an eyebrow but said nothing. "Bye," I muttered, as I headed for the door. "Have a nice day," she called after me. I opened the door, to meet a gray sky. 

Taking a breath, I began walking.